Popular Tags: [View All]
Madelyn C
United States
Locust Grove
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were at our local game store to play board games and the manager asked if we would like to demo and play a full game of the new Arcane Legions. I had to say after reading some preliminary information on the game I was intrigued.

So the base set comes with Romans, Chinese and Egyptians. We played Chinese vs. Egyptians and the thing I liked about this game was would not have to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of boosters in an effort to get the figures we would be looking for, unless you wanted to purchase boosters. You can buy them all in one package. I liked the starter set as it came with everything for two people to play and was quite fun out of the box.

Most of the figures were unpainted, you could paint them if you so desired, but not necessary. The heroes and commanders were pre painted. The set came with a nice little device to measure turns of 90 or 45 degrees and was easy to use. No measuring tapes are needed; units move either the length or width of a unit base. The whole premise of the game itself was easy to pickup.

The figures come with unit cards that describe special feats or abilities. The figures are placed in unit bases. During your turn you may further regroup your unit during your turn to either speed up how fast they move, change combat tactics or even use your feats. There are three different colors of dice that come with the set. Red, white and blue dice are used for hand to hand combat, defense and ranged weapons respectively. The dice are printed directly onto the unit base stats so no need to flip back and forth to a rule book or even your unit cards. Your figures can take as many hits as their base size, most are 1 point.

Combat is a simple dice based system. No special tables or rules to consult. We played the entire game in less than an hour and had a blast. The Egyptians beat the Chinese with as the necromancer was able to raise from the dead the infantry killed by the Chinese. A great ability, the Chinese had the Rain of Fire and where able to pull range fire to any place on the board if the hero was in combat. In addition you can “push” your unit to do another action, but at the cost of sacrificing a figure on the unit base.

I can honestly say we pre-ordered it. I don’t need anything else to paint. A great first new game from Wells Expeditions and I expect we will see many more games from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some friends and I got to play a few demos of this at Origins this year and was impressed with the game. In fact we are going to GenCon specifically for this game since they will have some to purchase. Of course we will spend some time there to shop other games but we are most excited about Arcane Legions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this really looks like a great little game. Having just seen a demo at my local comic book store, I was impressed with how direct and simple it is while still giving players plenty of strategic choices. And the starter box seems like a complete game, not just a teaser to suck you into buying boosters. (Although I've heard that the boosters won't be random either, which makes it sound pretty damn cool if true.)

I don't really need another game fighting for time on the table, but this one will probably make the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boosters are random
BUT
they are faction specific
AND
if you buy a sealed box of 8 boosters you will get a full set.
HOWEVER
you will still need to earn exclusive play support figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.