Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin McCraw
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was visiting some buddies in the Bay Area for a guys weekend. One of my friends is a huge zombie fan and I figured he would really enjoy this game.

I got to his house on Thursday night and sat down to play Die, Zombie Die.
Zombie player spawns and plays card to take over Zombie's choice building. Zombie player takes over the school which just happens to have Becky in there. 2 dice rolls later, Becky is dead.

Needless to say the game did not get any better. After searching quite a lot and not finding any weapons. At the end of the game I had killed 2 zombies.
Me 0, Buddies 1.

The first game went too quick so we decided we would play the same scenario again. This game didn't go any better. Again no weapons and bad dice rolls I had only killed 3 zombies by sunrise.
Me 0, Buddies 2

I think the initial loss of Becky during the first game made me a little too skittish around the zombies so I wasn't searching long enough before moving the heroes out of the way. I wasn't willing to take any wounds in order to search for more items.

We got together with 2 more people the next night and set in for a long night of playing. We had Night of the Living Dead (original), Dawn of the Dead, and Shawn of the Dead playing on the tv while we played to help set up the mood.
(Side Note: Johnny is the name of the first actor to die in Night of the Living Dead.)

I got together snacks and the pizza while the other 3 played Die Zombie Die to familiarize the 2 new players with the game and the rules. After hearing of my two defeats the night before they weren't sure of the outcome. They started out with the Sheriff and his revolver. This helped them right away. Shotgun, Revolver and Flare Gun later, the Heroes won the game handily.

We decided to try the advanced game and played Escape in the Truck scenario.
I decided to try playing as a Zombie player to see if I could get some revenge from my previous losses.

My luck hadn't changed. Again we lost and lost badly. The heroes had the drifter and with his ability to draw two cards the searches came up with both the keys and the gas pretty quickly. We moved as many zombies to the truck as possible in order to stop the humans. Of course one shotgun blast later and 4 zombies dead the heroes drive off into the sunset.

Me 0, Buddies 3

I really wanted to win this game so we decided to play Defend the Manor. I figured this one was stacked against the heroes so I might have a chance at winning one. It wasn't looking good for the heroes with 8 zombies near the Manor house but after the shotgun, revolver and dynamite the zombies were no longer a threat. The heroes figured out the strategy of staying within one space of the zombies with pulled them out of the house. They used the zombies not being able to diagonally move though walls to pull out a lot of the zombies out of the house. The shotgun and the revolver worked quite well. With 3 turns left we knew we couldn't get enough zombies into the house so we tried for killing heroes. No luck. A few wounds but no kills.

Me 0, Buddies 4

Despite losing every game I still had a fantastic time. The game can swing wildly and if you don't get the right card or the right roll no amount of strategy can save you but for having fun with your friends this game rocks. It captures the feel of a zombie movie because you never know what the next card might be or if the weapon will break on the next roll.

Thanks guys for a great weekend and I can't wait for the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and welcome to the world of struggling in LNoE! Its a great game :D

Great writeup, I have one question though, where does it say that Zombies cannot move through buildings diagonally?

Cheers,
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SovTech wrote:
...where does it say that Zombies cannot move through buildings diagonally?

Nowhere that I can find. We've always allowed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin McCraw
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The owner of the game told us that rule. I think he was interpreting the heroes can't move diagonally through a door. That rule might have changed the game. Oh well, next time. Can't wait to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.