BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Empireboardgames.com ripped me off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] [View All]
Brent Nicholls
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
So faimly really likes Catan, I want to get Spacefares of Catan, Seraching on BGG site i find a link to empirebarodgames.com use paypal and purchase their instock Catan game EmpireBoardGames process my paypal and then more than a week latter no shiping notification, and more distrubing, no follow up response to calls and e-mail I have sent them. Site says the order is processing. I look at their site comments show a lot of people who have not recived orders.

So looks like I got burned. Still looking for Starfares, and now wanting my $60 back.

Love BGG, but perhspse we dont want to have sacm sites like EmpireBoardGames inked to this great Board Game Community.

Respectfully,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from them a few months back and had no problems. Possibly things have changed or there was a human error (or tragedy) involved?

Edit: Their forums are not working right now, that doesn't look like a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gresch
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
File a dispute with paypal, they tend to side with the buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
not defending that retailer but it sounds a little funny to see someone just register on BGG so they can post a poorly written report of being "ripped off" even though it's only been a week. While frustrating, it's not extreme....

... and if you used a credit card (via paypal) you've lost nothing as you have 90 days to dispute the charge (which you very unlikely haven't even seen the bill for yet).

ps: it's Starfarers of Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ,

Is it 45 days or 90 days to start the dispute process? Diff for CC.

I second the OPers credentials for posting... perhaps sincere, but slightly suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mana_farm wrote:
File a dispute with paypal, they tend to side with the buyer.

paypal sucks to deal with either side... best to always use credit card (don't let it fund directly from your bank account like it always defaults to if you don't have funds in account which I don't recommend either) and deal with your CC company instead.

However in all cases (paypal or CC co) a week from order placement is unlikely to get much action from them, they'll probably tell you the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't buy from them, because I avoid anything in any way associated with Seth Hiatt, shopsphiatt, or Mayday Games now, but I think I remember reading that they were taking the summer off? They were having trouble with their website, and perhaps reorganizing, and perhaps taking a summer vacation? I don't remember details, but hopefully someone else does.

It's a shame this was your first experience... there are other online game stores that are really great (Board & Bits, Time Well Spent, et al):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44058

Here's a thread with other experiences with Empire Board Games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2603066

and you can enter your experience on the OLGS poll:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44058/item/983941#item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw is Starfarers of Catan currently out of print?

http://www.boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=103783

looks like it's out of stock at most places?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that it was. I'm still seeing it in stores. If I had a bit more discretionary $, I've considered picking up some OOP titles (including this) for trade someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
I've heard that it was. I'm still seeing it in stores. If I had a bit more discretionary $, I've considered picking up some OOP titles (including this) for trade someday.

I wouldn't pick it up because you think it's going to stay OOP... Mayfair imho is very likely to reprint this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

I wouldn't pick it up because you think it's going to stay OOP... Mayfair imho is very likely to reprint this

True enough... but any game that I know is OOP (Vegas Showdown, for one) I give a second look to, to see if I want it before it gets hard and/or expensive to get. If I think I might like it and don't, having it be OOP doesn't hurt its trade value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wouldn't call Empire Board Games a scam site...

They used to be pretty active with some very good deals. I even ordered from them twice and had no issues; but I know that others have had major issues.

If you look at the blog post on their site, you will see that they have decided to take a break from actively experimenting with the business for the summer -- but they said they will keep the inventory up to date and will continue to ship any items purchased in the meantime. Apparently they are still filling and shipping orders, but they are sometimes taking a week or two to do so.

They also explain/claim to have very little to do with Seth Hiatt (even though, IMO it seems that Seth has finally gotten his act together, while EBG seems to be heading in the other direction).

Personally, I will be interested to see if they can get their business in order and return to offering great deals and good service like they used to (but have done neither for the last couple months)...

In any case, 'tread lightly' and 'buyer beware' when it comes to Empire Board Games for the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is out-of-print at the moment and Mayfair has indicated it will reprint, though they don't have a date. At least didn't the last time I asked 3 months ago.

JeffyJeff wrote:
btw is Starfarers of Catan currently out of print?

http://www.boardgameprices.com/game.aspx?id=103783

looks like it's out of stock at most places?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentNicholls wrote:
So faimly really likes Catan, I want to get Spacefares of Catan, Seraching on BGG site i find a link to empirebarodgames.com use paypal and purchase their instock Catan game EmpireBoardGames process my paypal and then more than a week latter no shiping notification, and more distrubing, no follow up response to calls and e-mail I have sent them. Site says the order is processing. I look at their site comments show a lot of people who have not recived orders.

So looks like I got burned. Still looking for Starfares, and now wanting my $60 back.

Love BGG, but perhspse we dont want to have sacm sites like EmpireBoardGames inked to this great Board Game Community.

Respectfully,

Wow - ever heard of spell check? How can you expect people to take you seriously when you post garbage like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand we live in a "right now" society but its only been a week. I would wait and see before throwing words like ripped off and scam around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's going on with Empire is:
1. There is only one guy running it (a college-aged kid) and he went on vacation for about 2 months.
2. The company should have simply designated itself as closed for business because nothing was going to ship those two months, but they didn't.
3. When they were running, they relied on the old flawed model of having no actual inventory and placing an order from a game manufacturer only when they had enough orders--so you had to wait for them to order from the manufacturer and then for them to receive it, and then for them to ship it to you. This is why they took so long to ship and this is why you would not have received your game even if the one guy running it wasn't on vacation.
4. And yeah, the guy running it has no business experience whatsoever. The OP is right. Whether intentional or not, empireboardgames has been very irresponsible lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Blake
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
BrentNicholls wrote:

Respectfully,

OP has been refunded and apologized to. It would be appreciated if this post were updated to reflect that fact.

While I do agree that Empire could have responded to this situation earlier, I find it offensive that the OP would go so far as to call Empire Board Games a scam. Especially after only a week of not being contacted after purchasing, mind you, an Out of Print game. Empire has always been responsive to customer inquiries and has never 'ripped' anyone off. The last few months have been rocky for our customers, and again, I apologize for that.

Thank you to all of our customers. We appreciate your patience with the Beta Board Game Project that is Empire. We look forward to coming back and serving you in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy, that's not an apology if you insinuate it's his fault he only waited a week after emailing--you advertised something in stock that you didn't have in stock, you went on vacation without posting something to say no orders would ship (a simple thing that eaglegames.net did in July) and gave no one had the "keys" to Empireboardgames. If he hadn't posted here he would not have gotten his money back, just as Cole would not have received his preordered Bang the Bullet or a refund for a game that was supposed to go with it had he not vocally complained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpireJeremy wrote:
BrentNicholls wrote:

Respectfully,

OP has been refunded and apologized to. It would be appreciated if this post were updated to reflect that fact.

While I do agree that Empire could have responded to this situation earlier, I find it offensive that the OP would go so far as to call Empire Board Games a scam. Especially after only a week of not being contacted after purchasing, mind you, an Out of Print game. Empire has always been responsive to customer inquiries and has never 'ripped' anyone off. The last few months have been rocky for our customers, and again, I apologize for that.

Thank you to all of our customers. We appreciate your patience with the Beta Board Game Project that is Empire. We look forward to coming back and serving you in the near future.

Epic fail. Won't ever be receiving my business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
BrentNicholls wrote:

Respectfully,

Wow - ever heard of spell check? How can you expect people to take you seriously when you post garbage like that?

i AMM sorrie bat lazt tyme i checqued BGG waz a bowrdgame syte, nott a gramar ant spellcheqing syte.

Could not you be any more impolite? Seriously man, do you work for Empireboardgames? If not, you really need to go out more and learn how to treat people right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutombo wrote:
EmpireJeremy wrote:
BrentNicholls wrote:

Respectfully,

Should they have held onto the money instead?

It's amazing how this company gets ZERO slack from so many members here, yet people fawn over ThoughtHammer, Boards & Bits, Boulder, or others, even when they make errors, as well. If a New User launches a drive-by slam against any other online vendor, people would be questioning the motives of the user, but if it's against Empire, we again see the regurgitated allegations against them.

Every company fumbles orders. Smaller ones will tend to make more, due to less quality control, or having fewer workers, or because they're relatively new to the market. Leave it to the knee-jerk responses of the Internet to demonstrate selective forgiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Blake
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
ralpher wrote:
If he hadn't posted here he would not have gotten his money back, just as Cole would not have received his preordered Bang the Bullet or a refund for a game that was supposed to go with it had he not vocally complained.

This is simply untrue.

Mutombo wrote:

...ouch. He played the "Epic Fail" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpireJeremy wrote:
ralpher wrote:
If he hadn't posted here he would not have gotten his money back, just as Cole would not have received his preordered Bang the Bullet or a refund for a game that was supposed to go with it had he not vocally complained.

This is simply untrue.

According to Cole, you didn't ship the Bang the Bullet orders. It wasn't until he complained that they shipped. Then he complained he didn't get Pandemic with his order. Even though you were back from your vacation for over a week, you didn't respond to his six emails. Then, only after other people start complaining that Empire is a fraud, you finally refund his money--but not the additional postage for Pandemic. You then deleted all the shout outs related to the transaction.

I have doubts that you only received one order in the past two months. Did you refund everyone else's order, or just the ones who post here?

J.L.Robert wrote:

It's amazing how this company gets ZERO slack from so many members here, yet people fawn over ThoughtHammer, Boards & Bits, Boulder, or others, even when they make errors, as well. If a New User launches a drive-by slam against any other online vendor, people would be questioning the motives of the user, but if it's against Empire, we again see the regurgitated allegations against them.

Every company fumbles orders. Smaller ones will tend to make more, due to less quality control, or having fewer workers, or because they're relatively new to the market. Leave it to the knee-jerk responses of the Internet to demonstrate selective forgiveness.

There are reasons these "guys" (one guy, really) are given no slack--they announced in a "shout out" that he was ceasing to do business this summer since it wasn't profitable. Then the guy left and continued to take people's money via paypal for the next two months, advertising most items in stock when he had nothing in stock and no intention to send anything. He's out of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Blake
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
ralpher wrote:
EmpireJeremy wrote:
ralpher wrote:

This is simply untrue.

According to Cole, you didn't ship the Bang the Bullet orders. It wasn't until he complained that they shipped. Then he complained he didn't get Pandemic with his order. Even though you were back from your vacation for over a week, you didn't respond to his six emails. Then, only after other people start complaining that Empire is a fraud, you finally refund his money--but not the additional postage for Pandemic. You then deleted all the shout outs related to the transaction.

I have doubts that you only received one order in the past two months. Did you refund everyone else's order, or just the ones who post here?

J.L.Robert wrote:

There are reasons these "guys" (one guy, really) are given no slack--they announced in a "shout out" that he was ceasing to do business this summer since it wasn't profitable. Then the guy left and continued to take people's money via paypal for the next two months, advertising most items in stock when he had nothing in stock and no intention to send anything. He's out of business.

I don't know man...you obviously can say whatever you want. It's not really worth my time to go back and forth with you. You seem to have ample time to fight other customer's battles though, so maybe this dialogue will continue for a bit longer.

We raised prices to full retail when we went on our Summer 'recess' so we thought that would detract most customers - which it did. We only had probably 3 orders since I put the site on the backburner and I didn't even expect that. The only orders we really got were for a game that was out of print and all of those customers were refunded - before I even saw this thread, believe it or not.

Please continue to pick my responses apart and give me feedback. I enjoy reading your replies and learning from the community of a million against 1. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
J.L.Robert wrote:

I think most people understand that accidents happen, but the key to good customer service is good communcation.

And while I can't speak about the specifics of this particular incident, I do believe that no matter how outrageous claims against business may seem, the business in question should ALWAYS respond in a professonal manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.