United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CCCwargamers

Battle Summary ‘Risk Revised ‘
By Lawrence Frazee

This day of Beer Pizza and Air Conditioning 7/26/09 we did get thru a short rally of Memoir ’44, Wings at War, then ‘Risk’ Revised, and two more games of Memoir!

Our mission, as Always: world domination!ninja

Players Lawrence, Frank and Mike did commenceth battle with ‘Risk’ Revised!
A re- invention of the Classic 1980s Era ‘‘Risk’’. Players did place units as the old game one at a time trying to out maneuver thru placement. Yet, some strategy has evolved to control any of the randomly placed cities by card draw. Player Capitols were placed first and to be protected of course! Frank taking North America, Mike the famous isolated Australia, Lawrence taking Western Europe. Once units were placed battles began.

Lawrence staring first to try to take North Africa, and winning with small results. Lawrence’s amazing defensive dice rolls saved him from Frank’s sure fire counter attack that was intended to clear Lawrence out of South America and take Lawrence’s attack travel route back to his capitol. Later rounds: did Frank take Lawrence’s capitol. Mike did take Australia and swept into Asia. In the end it was Mike who was the victor..Racking up enough of the Major/Minor Victories to take the win.

This game did support much sweeps of global territory taking. This made for flip flops of one moment alliances from players to “gang up “on the leading player to stop the victory point accumulation that would end the game! Such a diplomatic effort reminded me of my hatred for the game Diplomacy by Avalon hill. Yet this was also a factor in the original game.

Unlike the Original games’ strength of massive dice battles. ‘‘Risk Revised” limited player attacking units to three and defenders units to two, regardless of the number of units in territory.

Rules in Risk Revised did have some play testing failures that could have been remedied by a better rules booklet.

Playing pieces were changed from the original Cannon, Infantry, and Horse to generic only units. Gone was the tens pieces to be replaced by a ones and threes pieces only.

Unlike the original game, ‘‘Risk’ Revised’ contains Minor and Major objectives. Such as the first player capturing two enemy capitols would yield a random reward of an extra die or higher dice roll in battle. With much creativity on these 10 objective bonuses this was undoubtedly the biggest difference from the ‘Risk’ original game. ‘Risk revised’ played much faster with more variety in actions and shorter game play for our game at 3 hours for three of a possible five players.

‘‘Risk Revised ‘is a very different ‘Risk’ bending the games of Attack, Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, and I’m sure a few others. It does come down to apples or oranges, IBM or Macintosh. I think I’m an original ‘Risk’ fan but this quicker format was a good option to have on the shelf with its shorter play time.

Game construction notes

Territory cards were printed on such poor cardstock that tissue paper would have been a thicker medium.

Rules were truncated to be creatively controlled into a menu style fan almost seeming superfluous.

Playing pieces were poorly indistinct from each other for difficult identification. And the back sides of these flat pieces were not double side sculpted for easier play.

With a large amount of empty box space and accordion folding game board this game could have easily been recreated in the vertical standing “bookshelf game“ design of later years.

The game board was a pleasing contrast of colors with heavy and thin boarder line weights for easy identification of continents and territories with color identification as well. ( I.E. A mistake made from translating the original Axis and Allies board to the A&A 40th limited edition atlas map board. )

Until Next time Game fans! Don’t ever lose those dice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
malstrom wrote:
Unlike the Original games’ strength of massive dice battles. ‘‘Risk Revised” limited player attacking units to three and defenders units to two, regardless of the number of units in territory.

Combat resolution in revised risk is identical to countless past versions of classic risk that have been published for decades. Attacker gets die equal to units attacking (max 3), defender gets die equal to units defending (max 2), and you repeat as many times as you wish until you run out of bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.