Subject: New army: "Assembler #27: Vermelius" (alpha testing stage) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: N_Hex_Fan_Armies [+] [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Vermelius was the code name of the Autonomous Nano-assembler Heavy Constructor-hunter Fifth Generation AI number 27, of the GAENA project.

During the setup of GAENA hundreds of robots with nano-assemblers were scattered among all the States, hidden in places that should go relatively undamaged during a thermonuclear war. Meant to be a help and support for the remnants of humanity, the robots were very agile and had resistant armor. Most importantly, they had codes for creating both human support structures and military structures.

The robots could construct bunkers, weapons, munitions, automated defence turrets and more from materials available in battle-like environments. An important part of the plans was the ability of the constructed structures to repair themselves, to protect the humans from toxic rain and attacks of the enemy.

After the war of 2020, Vermelius activated according to the plans, along with most of the other hidden robots. They all sensed the immense radiation in the air, and started to clean the pollution. They built bunkers from the resources hidden along with them, and built a wireless network to communicate with each other, and tried to reach any authorized administrators that would log in and command them.

They waited. No administrators were found. No humans with proper IDs could be sheltered. The robots were forced to adapt to the different conditions they were subjected to. The network broke down, they lost contact.

Vermelius started fighting against the creatures created by the war itself - robots, plants, animals, mutants - and even humans, unaware that the robot actually was constructed for their benefit. Learning from the new input, and by toggling a few obscure AI conditions on, the AI in fact started to utilize its offensive capabilities, and started to take even more terrain under its control to prepare a larger shelter. Shelter for humans that were dead since a long time.

Special rules:

Self-repair:
If a self-repairing unit suffers 1 damage in a round or in a battle, it repairs itself at the end of the round or at the end of the battle. If the unit suffers more than one damage, it is destroyed.

Construction time X (X hourglass symbols):
The unit is placed on the board as normal, but the construction has just started. Place a die with X pips showing on it. At the end of your turn, decrease each construction die on your units by one pip. When the last construction marker is removed, the unit starts functioning normally. Until that happens, treat it as an inactive unit with only the ability self-repair if it has it.

Builder (wrench symbol):
When a unit with Construction time X is connected to a Builder unit, decrease the construction die by 1 extra pip at the end of your turn. Several builders can work together to build the unit faster.

Targeting processor module:
Increases initiative for connected units by 1.

Tiles:

1 x Vermelius
HQ (20); Ini 0; 6 CC attacks
Builder (all directions)

4 x Constructor drones
Ini 3, 1 CC Pow1 + Builder in same direction

3 x Defence Turret
Ini 3; 1 Pow1 Shooting attack, 2x2 armour
Construction time 1

4 x Light attack platform
Ini 2, 1 ranged Pow2 attack
Construction time 2, Self-repair

4 x Heavy attack platform
Ini 1; 3 ranged Pow2 attack, next to each other
Construction time 2, Self-repair

2 x Reinforced wall
Ini -; 3 armour next to each other
Construction time 3, 2 x health

3 x Rocket Launcher platform
Ini 1; 1 Rocket Launcher Pow3
Self-repair, Construction time 4

2 x Targeting processor
3 arrows, with gaps

4 x Battle

3 x Pushback

5 x Move

Link to tiles: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B10A19a2K_SoQU1ZLU9BNVVJaTA
Tiles by Michal Herda (MichallusTG)
All images were ripped off Earth 2160 without permission.
E2160 (c) ZuxxeZ Entertainment.
PDF includes tiles made in eHECK2 by Marek "Mar_cus" Szumny.

Current tiles, assembled:

Edit1: Added initial rules
Edit2: Added alternative rules based on discussion
Edit3: Updated background, changed rules to new version only, with additional rules as suggested by Michallus. Added link to pdf.
Edit4: Updated with version 3 of the tiles. Big change to rules and tiles. Added image of constructed tiles.
Edit4: New link to the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New army: "Assembler #27: Vermelius" (first rules draft)
Borgo is going to have a hard time breaking through Self-repair.

Define Rocket Launcher in this case. Does it shoot with strength 1, or 3, like NY's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps only having self-repair fixed at the value 1 on those having it at 2 now would be enough, that should make the army much easier to break. Like toughness 1 when killed in a single battle. I wonder if it would make the army too weak though.

I was thinking rocket strength 3, like NY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variant I have thought about that would make the army more vulnerable to Borgo (perhaps too much) would be to remove all attacks from the HQ and put ini at N/A. Perhaps combined with borrowing a rule from the Dancer to make the HQ more mobile: Nets affect the HQ normally in all ways, except that it can move away and take one wound (using the built-in mobility).

I like this variant better, both thematically and mechanically, but it is very different compared to other armies and might be hard to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though, Vermelius may be quite hard to explain storywisely. Yeah, there's one giant evil Moloch with its sidekick SMART, there's Doomsday Machine far on the north... that's already three AIs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read any background, so I could only look at the armies... I did not know Moloch was an AI (and what is SMART?), and Doomsday machine I have sadly disregarded as a weird and non-functional army (tried it three times perhaps). So the fluff text is taken completely out of the blue.

My main thoughts for this army were that the HQ should he hard to kill, but would need to be in the open for maximum efficiency. The construction process seemed fitting to enable this.

Compared to Moloch I wanted to encourage more active play, less wall-building, more swings in how the battle went.

Somewhat akin to Vermelius moving around, starting up construction projects here and there with the opponent rushing to kill them off before they are complete and can start punching. Some are killed, some survive. With Ini 0 they should be possible to kill, but if they are ignored they will hurt a lot.

Given some AIs, there could easily be many more. Storywise, it has been locked in battle with itself, reprogramming itself, for a long time. Another hard inactive shell in the wasteland, nothing to care about, move along...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Doomsday machine I have sadly disregarded as a weird and non-functional army

YOU SHALL BURN
Umm, I mean, DDM is a fun army to play.
And SMART is the fraction of Moloch that lost contact with it, hauling from California and coming in Duel expansion.

Hmmmm... this needs to be playtested, since I can't tell you how it is going to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! Perhaps I just did not understand how to use it. To me it seemed to have too few units, no possibility for combos every appeared, all the units that I got were very shortly killed.

Did you create Doomsday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's no problem. It's just the fact that DDM is quite hard to learn, and therefore, to play. And therefore, to enjoy. My biggest streak was 8 lost games in a row, where I played Doomsday. It was at the very beginning, but later on it became rather fun to play it. Seriously.

And no, the creator is MOracz from Portal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting my vote in right now for 'not pink'.

Seriously though, I like the way this army is sounding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means that completely no armies should be pink. Mhm.

But then, which color to give Vermelius?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that, I think pink is a good color but for the appropriate army.

As for Verelius, I have to admit that the first thing that came to mind was vermilion...but I suppose that would be too close to Moloch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it could work.

Also, another thing. If you pull out any of the construction time 3 units past midgame and set them without any boost, they are useless. There just won't be more than three battles in most of the games, after which they could be anyhow used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, without any boost at all they are worthless. At a minimum you would need to place it next to the hq (-1) and play speed-up (-1), it would then be activated after 1 battle. Perhaps more speed-ups are needed though.

Or it might be better to have construction time 2 and less powerful units, with the current quota of other tiles. Then the luck of getting heavy tiles early would be reduced a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added an alternative set of rules to the OP with many small tweaks and some major, as discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could work now. I could work on the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are extremely welcome to! You did a fantastic job on the Dancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas how to show construction time? Got it.
Also, 1 Sniper... define it. I think you mean 1 Ranged attack with Sharpshooting by it.
Also, how is Vermelius able to move away, if it has no movement tiles at all? Nevermind, read closer.
Perhaps add a module or two purely for speeding up constructions?

What happens if Vermilius moves away from an unit, and then again towards it? Does it lose another construction time counter?

Also, as far as I see, this army needs a huge, huge amount of skill circles on tiles. Be prepared for the worst.

Another thing: I would consider changing the whole construction idea: instead of removing a counter from all units after every battle, you would do it in the beginning of your every turn. This gives me a more rational idea - after all, constructing things isn't done just in battles, and your opponent would have to seriously hurry to destroy your precious glitter before it's finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
Any ideas how to show construction time? Got it.
Also, 1 Sniper... define it. I think you mean 1 Ranged attack with Sharpshooting by it.
Also, how is Vermelius able to move away, if it has no movement tiles at all? Nevermind, read closer.
Perhaps add a module or two purely for speeding up constructions?

What happens if Vermilius moves away from an unit, and then again towards it? Does it lose another construction time counter?

Also, as far as I see, this army needs a huge, huge amount of skill circles on tiles. Be prepared for the worst.

Another thing: I would consider changing the whole construction idea: instead of removing a counter from all units after every battle, you would do it in the beginning of your every turn. This gives me a more rational idea - after all, constructing things isn't done just in battles, and your opponent would have to seriously hurry to destroy your precious glitter before it's finished.

Yes, I thought of sharpshooter.
A module for speeding up all construction times by 1 would be extremely good, a unit placed next to HQ would activate immediately.

If HQ stands close, moves away and back, no extra effect. Citing: "is placed into play next to a unit with"

To remove skill circles, maybe change rules of turret to:
Rotation, Self-repair, Construction time 2, Immobile
And replace Self-repair, Construction time 2, Immobile with a single icon for construct?

Construction complete change: Good idea. When I thought about how this works, I thought in terms of that the battles are the only time markers. Reading your suggestion, this is of course not so (just look at the Dancer...) I want to use this rule instead of the battle limiter. What are reasonable values? Maybe 4 or max 5 for the heaviest, 2 for the recon drone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. I was about to show you the tiles for the battle-construction version, but alright, I'll remake them first.

Though, you know. http://i30.tinypic.com/fne649.jpg - the symbol I chose for Vermy sucks. I'd be thankful if you could search for something a bit better yourself in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Destruction of immobile units by pushing/grabbing them seems fairly pointless for me. If they are fastened to the ground well enough, then they won't be so weak; besides, how would you count pushes/pulls per unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagined pushing and grabbing to be more than actual shoving, like a barrage of fire to force an opponent to retreat.

Mechanics-wise, to not make the army immune to those with many push/grab actions.

Might be a stupid rule though, as those actions can affect the HQ and the HQ is very central in the army. Remove it, can see later if it is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://michallus.nshex.com/Vermelius.pdf
Remember, it's an alpha.

I completely changed the Defensive Turret, since to provide any defence, it has to be in a 'higher' initiative.
The amount of hourglasses in a circle is building time.
OMG LOTS OF CIRCLES I'll consider merging Immobile and Self-Repair into a single Turret icon.

All images were ripped off Earth 2160 without permission.
E2160 (c) ZuxxeZ Entertainment.
PDF includes tiles made in eHECK2 by Marek "Mar_cus" Szumny.

Also, all units have initiative 0 here. This may be too few in some cases, but - lets just playtest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, looking good, I especially like the tile backs!

Perhaps a cross over the speed-up instants would be easier to understand, as one of the hourglass tiles on the board should be removed when you play it.

Yup, loads of circles. Guess it is worth it to remove the immobile rule just to get rid of those circles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be. For now, time for playtesting. I'm already printing the tiles.

Imagine Mephisto, if I decided to describe all of its mechanics on the tiles... whoa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.