Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RftG [+] [View All]
Simon Lawrence
England
Sandhurst
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I have finally done my first ever review and posted for all to laugh/cry or poke at to their hearts content.

I have chosen Race for the Galaxy as I have never bought a game for so much money that contained so little in a box and yet has proved worth every penny.I went to my local game shop one day, simply to browse and walked out with RFTG and all expansions for 68 pounds ($105). Now I knew at the time this was pricey but I had read a few very positive reviews and I wanted something for solitaire play that I could take in my suitcase as I travel a fair bit. Well that's the background and here is a quick review.

Contents and quality:

I got home, opened all 3 boxes and realised I had bought approx 180 cards (game cards + start worlds) and a few carboard tokens . Cards are very good quality with good artwork and the cardboard tokens are fine for their job. However this does represent a cost approx 50c per card and my intial thoughts were that I should really think before I buy.

Gameplay and rules:

The rules are pretty clear and the cardboard help sheets are truly useful. I think a greater amount of played hand/game examples could help but even so I was tackling the robot within a couple of hours on easy. I will not go into great detail on the mechanics of the game as many better reviews than mine cover this. I will say that the symbology(is that a word?)or icons used that have prompted much discussion on BGG are pretty clear in my opinion and it does not take long (a few games) before you have about 80% in your head and clear.

Finding strategies and combinations of cards that work well together takes longer, there are a lot of cards and depth of the game has surprised me!
I am still learning a lot about how to decide actions and keeping my options open more than 50 games later. Resource trading is probably the biggest single area where I struggled to make proper gains.This game can be quite a challenge at first strategy wise and all I can say is stick with it, it does become clearer with each play. ( I have only played solitaire mind and it would probably be easier with an experienced person opposite)

The solitaire rules by using a program card/dice for the Robot player really start to shine after the intial few games (The solitaire rules are contained in the first expansion TGS and make use of the 2nd expansion as well). I took about 20 games ( played in about 5 days) to beat it on easy and I am enjoying regular cursing/swearing playing at normal level losing mainly but enjoying the odd victories that come as I refine my play. This is a game of seeing new options and changing strategies from 1 round to the next. I simply cannot praise the solitaire play enough - well thought out and challenging. Time taken to play is in the region of 20mins to 1hr depending on circumstances.

Shelflife or longevity:

This one is for keeps, I now reguarly play every few days and with the two expansions it rarely plays a similar game twice. I look forward to playing with real people and though as with every game the playing will tail off as new games come around, I cannot see a better solo and portable game coming around for quite some time.

Overall:
Great game - a solid 8 out of 10 in my book. I have not seen a game yet made that rates a 10(it will have to be perfect)and it just misses out on 9 due to cost and a rulebook being slightly weak. I also hope this review will be of benefit to 1 BGG reader at least and then I will be satisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this review has sparked my interest in the solo game. I had been purely buying the expansions for the new multiplayer stuff, but this really makes me want to try the solo and see how hard it really is. Thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I have never bought a game for so much money that contained so little in a box and yet has proved worth every penny." I think that this is a frequent reaction to R4tG. It's good to see is expressed concisely and explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyarea wrote:

Overall:
Great game - a solid 8 out of 10 in my book. I have not seen a game yet made that rates a 10(it will have to be perfect)and it just misses out on 9 due to cost and a rulebook being slightly weak. I also hope this review will be of benefit to 1 BGG reader at least and then I will be satisfied.

Why does a game have to be perfect to get a 10? Shouldn't the best game you've played get the 10?

I mean if you're not comparing games to each other, how do you rate your games? I try to compare each game relative to each other, and rate accordingly. It's just weird and irks me that some people don't give games a 10, simply because a 10 is deemed "perfect."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even more fun with other players

Just kidding, glad you're having fun but give it a shot in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lawrence
England
Sandhurst
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stexe wrote:
Why does a game have to be perfect to get a 10? Shouldn't the best game you've played get the 10?

I mean if you're not comparing games to each other, how do you rate your games? I try to compare each game relative to each other, and rate accordingly. It's just weird and irks me that some people don't give games a 10, simply because a 10 is deemed "perfect."

Hello Stexe,

Firstly thank you and everyone else who has read my review and posted a comment. I have seen from reading reviews on BGG for a few years that scoring reviews or not and how you score them always provokes some healthy debate. I chose to score my first review out of 10 as that is my rating for the game on BGG and I thought I would write a short sentence on how I justify my ratings.
I can see your point about making scores relative but this does suggest that everytime you get a new game and rate it you then have to check all your other scores to see if they remain relative to the new one. With over 50 games in my locker (alas not all on BGG yet) this could be seen to be somewhat time consuming.
Still just to clarify I do not really think that a game will have to be absolutely perfect for me to give a 10 - its just that I personally have not played a game yet that meets my criteria for that highest of scores but with so many on BGG that I have yet to play I remain optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Steve.

I agree that the Solo game is a good experience in its own right. The RvI Expansion makes it even more so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
I'm not sure the solo game should be mentioned here, because it's not actually in the basic game it's in The Gathering Storm. You might want to note that here to avoid confusion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds right. You'll need TGS exp to play the solitaire mode for this game. Otherwise, this game works the way it normally does for up to 5p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lawrence
England
Sandhurst
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
I'm not sure the solo game should be mentioned here, because it's not actually in the basic game it's in The Gathering Storm. You might want to note that here to avoid confusion.

Good point and I have edited the review with a note to this effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.