Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this replay of history Burgoyne (I played the British) decided to send most of his force against the American left, at Freeman's Farm.

Over 3500 men and 12 cannons marched slowly through the slight fog towards their objective, led by Gen. Simon Fraser. A much smaller force of approximately 1300 men set out for South Branch, west of the ravine. Gen. Burgoyne and Gen. von Riedesel also took over 1000 men and a few cannons down River Road. About 500 men stayed behind on River Road by Wilbur Basin.

The first few hours of battle were a stalemate at Freeman's Farm, with a much smaller force led by Daniel Morgan and Gen. Arnold holding off the large British opposition. About midday, as the British troops started to engage forces across South Branch, General Gates decides to join the fray at the farm, but not before Arnold (and later Fraser) fell in battle.

It was amazing how long the smaller rebel force was able to withstand so many British troops (the die rolls never seemed to go my way when it counted). General Burgoyne didn't get across the fortification on River Road until the last hour of battle, after losing von Riedesel. I also lost a couple of cannon units until it dawned on me how to maneuver with them (I kept getting them captured).

When it was all over, the casualties were roughly equal on both sides but the British held the field at Freeman's Farm and that was what counted as I won by points, 9.5 to 8.5.

This was my first true hex-movement war game. I have played CDGs like We the People and For the People but I think I am hooked now on games like Saratoga. I am looking forward to getting other games in the system. The rules are fairly simple and straight-forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.