Popular Tags: [View All]
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

Okay, maybe it's just me. Or maybe I tried reading the rules after working all day. But are the rules for RFTG (or in this case RvI) fairly difficult to digest?

I play wargames and have read the rules and understood games like Totaler Krieg, World in Flames, Paths of Glory, etc. I also find other heavies like War of the Ring, Traders of Genoa, Goa, etc. comprehensible. But for some reason RFTG and its expansions just do not go down very easy.

I am not sure if it is rules sequencing, layout, scarcity of examples, obscurity of the examples, style of writing or what. I have had this problem with only one other game- Agricola.

The weird thing is, both RFTG (RvI) and Agricola are very simple to play (and explain). But for some reason I find those rulebooks very poorly written.

Was wondering what the rest of the community thought....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned from the rulebook.

I read the rulebook before purchasing the game as did my wife.
We used starting hands the first 4 games (each trying one of the starting hands once) and have been fine ever since.

It is one of the clearest and well written rulebooks I have had the fortune to read. It has, to my knowledge, no errata or corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RvI took me a while to understand, and I've not had a chance to check if I do understand it. I think its because the overtaking rules only occur when one of 3-5 cards are actually played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to mess up easy things and hard things. Some people play horrible at simple games (not those completely relying on luck) while doing good at complex ones.

Case in point, I had a band instructor mention that it's possible for students to practice the hard parts so much that the easier parts can pose problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
It is one of the clearest and well written rulebooks I have had the fortune to read. It has, to my knowledge, no errata or corrections.

If you're talking about the base game, I have to strenuously disagree. It was one of the most confusing and poorly written ruleset I've ever read, and I come from a CCG background. They typically have the worst rules ever.

The main problem with RtfG's rules is that they make no distinction between example, exception, and actual rules. In each section, they discuss card exceptions as if they were part of the normal rules. It was so incredibly confusing at first, because I thought I was going to need to remember these specific card rules as part of the normal game.

I was over halfway through the book before I realized it was just specific card exceptions. If you're going to do something like that, you need to separate the exceptions and examples from the actual ruleset. RtfG doesn't do that. And unfortunately, something as relatively simple to get right as that can make the rulebook not worth talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Fender
United States
Vandalia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree it might seem hard to digest at first, however after you play through a few games and reread the rules - it seems to be that they are written well.
I remember sitting down w/ RFTG base game and my wife and I thought what the hell have we got ourselves into.
So glad that we stuck through it because RFTG and expansions is one of our favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fender1499 wrote:
I can agree it might seem hard to digest at first, however after you play through a few games and reread the rules - it seems to be that they are written well.
I remember sitting down w/ RFTG base game and my wife and I thought what the hell have we got ourselves into.
So glad that we stuck through it because RFTG and expansions is one of our favorite games.

This closely parallels my experience. Frustrating at first but when you go back it seems clear enough (at least in the base game; haven't gotten there yet on the takeover rules....). Kinda like once you know how to speak a foreign language the introductory text books seem pretty simple. But the first time through.... not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the rulebooks, they repay close study but yeah they are "different" to other rulebooks I've read. That the rules are precisely written but laid out in an informal or conversational way is the nearest I can put my finger on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have real issues with the RftG rulebooks too. In fact, I couldn't make head nor tail of the base game when we got it - and couldn't play it until we had some San Juan playing friends round who took one look, said "It's San Juan in space!!" and explained it to us.

We got RvI last week and have so far not played with takeovers or the new objectives. All we've done is add the cards to the RftG + TGS deck and play the basic game to get a feel for the new cards. I've read the Takeovers rules summary post on here which did make sense so I think we'll work off that when we add them and just skim-read the actual rules to check we're not missing anything.

I struggled with the Agricola rules too. Must be something similar in their style which certain brain types can't cope with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
TedW wrote:
But for some reason RFTG and its expansions just do not go down very easy.

I can't speak to the rules for base game or first expansion (I haven't needed to refer to them since my first reading, which says something for how excellent the design of the game is), but the RvI rules are indeed a mess. The new rules are dead simple and take only a few sentences to explain completely, but he rules as written make things seem much more complicated and unstructured than they really are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:

I struggled with the Agricola rules too. Must be something similar in their style which certain brain types can't cope with.

Highly advanced brain types, you mean....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.