Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted at http://EverythingIPlayed.blogspot.com. It's something between a review and session report, so I'm just posting it in general.

This spinoff of Puerto Rico and San Juan has come to occupy a very specific niche: It's a 30-40 minute game for people who like heavier games. It manages to cram a lot of, if not depth, entertaining complexity, into a short period of time. As such, it is the perfect game for a group of gamers who don't have time to play a longer game. It is the cigar after the single malt scotch of Agricola, the lime after the tequila of 18xx, the shotgunned can of Pabst Blue Ribbon after the bootleg moonshine of Advanced Squad Leader.

Arriving at the BAP game day, a group of 3 was just finishing off a game. Once they finished, they asked if I'd like to join them. Tom, the organizer for BAP game day, had acquired the recently released second expansion for the game, Rebel vs. Imperium and I was excited to try it out.

Rebel vs. Imperium adds the ability to attack other players settlements directly to Race for the Galaxy. At first, this seems a fairly dramatic change for a game that has been accused (falsely in my opinion) of being multiplayer solitaire. The game does temper this interactivity by providing a fairly specific set of conditions on when and how these attacks can take place.

In this game, I didn't get any cards that allowed (or made me vulnerable to) direct attacks, but it is worth noting that I won anyway. The mechanics of when and how you can attack other planets struck me as a bit fiddly, but when I get my copy of this expansion, I'll probably have a better idea of how it works.

Chris 43
Tom 39
Sean 33
Dave 25

Game Time: 45 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.