19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What racing game should i buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
I am really wanting to buy a racing board game and unsure what one to buy.

I live in Australia and really want to buy Formula D or Turf Masters because i heard they are really good. Only problem is i am having trouble finding them in stores.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good racing game that is more common that i can buy? Or does anyone know where i can buy Formula D or Turf Masters from?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In last weeks most of gamers that i known gets lots of fun with:

Snow Tails

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Jamaica???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider PitchCar (or PitchCar Mini).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falko Sieverding
Germany
Rees
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Leader 1, the best bicycle racing game out there. And of course Mississippi Queen and Mississippi Queen: The Black Rose are superb racing games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can whole heartedly recommend Powerboats & Snow Tails.

They both go down very well in my game group and with non- gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails would be my first choice. Powerboats my second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
Top Race is a fun game, but it's just not a straight race game (big dose of betting - check the listing for details), Mississippi Queen is an attractive looking, luck-free tactical race game (with 'pit-stops' to pick up passengers), Pitch-Car I'd recommend you try before you buy as it's very heavy and expensive (and you'll either love it or HATE it), Formula D has a fair chunk of luck and needs plenty of players for it to shine.

But, for the clinically insane I'd recommend Robo-Rally

Top Race is the most readily available variation of my favorite race game of all time: Daytona 500. I'd go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails is a great face paced race with crashes and bumps. Leader 1 is more strategic, but as close as I am going to get to competing in the Tour De France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sportyfella wrote:

I live in Australia and really want to buy Formula D or Turf Masters because i heard they are really good. Only problem is i am having trouble finding them in stores.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good racing game that is more common that i can buy? Or does anyone know where i can buy Formula D or Turf Masters from?

Thanks,

Well, if you don't mind dealing with US retailers, you can snag Formula D in the following places right now:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p230233.html

http://www.thoughthammer.com/formula-aka-formula-de-2008-p-5...

http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=20...

(The above will come with the Limited Edition Porsche as well!)

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetailSearch.asp_Q_Product..._

And that's just three minutes of searching. I'm sure there's more to be had out there.

Also, if you're looking for something along these lines, I feel I have to recommend Top Race and Speed Circuit as real winners. They might be a little hard to find, but well worth it IMHO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D/De is the route to go....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula Dé will probably be the most flexible since there are around a million different track expansions out there for it. It's not a bad race game either.

TurfMaster was just recently re-released I do believe. It's a fun horse racing game, but from what I saw, the re-release really leaves something to be desired from the original release of the game. What I saw of the re-release left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Bad production quality. Which was unfortunate. But it's a fun game!

A couple others that I'll put my 2 cents in, for what it's worth...

Speed Circuit is the classic. You can get it off of eBay fairly readily. It's been long out of print. There are several extra tracks that Avalon Hill put out to go along with the 3 that come along with the basic set.

Ave Caesar is a fun, card driven race game. Chariots running around a couple tracks. Takes up to 6 and plays pretty quick.

Snow Tails gets a lot of ink. It's not bad, but I'm not a huge fan. Card driven, driving dog sleds around moveable tracks. Good production value. Guess it's just not my cup of tea.

and lastly

Moto Grand Prix is fun. Great production value. Motorcyles racing around a customizable track. Dice-driven game with really cool motorcyles.

Hope all of these posts helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerboats would be my choice. Although Snow Tails is getting great reviews, I skipped on that because of the card play involved.

My next race game, when it's released, will be Rush n' Crush. We've played the PnP version to death, it's the only racer I've played where you don't roll dice for movement, but use a gear mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Daniel -

Where are you in Australia? Unless you are in a major city I'd recommend mail-order through Milsims or Unhalfbricking.

As for which game -

Snow Tails and Powerboats are both hot tickets on BGG at the moment, and they seem to be reasonable games (I have not played either one enough to comment). Milsims and Mind Games have them both. Another possibility is Winner's Circle, although it has always seemed expensive for what you get. Either one is probably your best bet, in terms of availability and accessibility.

RoboRally is a great game but it doesn't feel like a traditional race (more a smash-up derby with checkpoints) and it can get a bit heavy for some players. I'd try it first. Very good game- but not for everyone.

Formula Dé has been re-released as Formula D and is also available from games shops - it is very luck dependant and the extra circuit maps can be an expensive collectable. I think it's OK, but not worth lots of repeat play. Many others think it's brilliant, so YMMV. If you still can't find it, try Milsims.

Mississippi Queen is good, but extremely hard to find locally. Circus Maximus is extremely good, but has been out of print for years and you'll need to get it online, for a hefty price.

Otherwise- Giro Galoppo is a kid's game with some deeper strategy, as is Change Horses: they are fairly cheap and might be OK if you want something very lightweight. They are reasonably easy to get hold of.

Cheers,

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sportyfella wrote:

Thanks,

I'm new to boardgaming, but I have been a longtime fan of racing, so racing games are my interest, too.

So far I have picked up Formula D, MotoGrandPrix, Das Motorsportspiel, and Leader1 (cycling). Formula D gets played the most due to been easy for my gaming group. I really like Das Motorsportspiel and Leader1, but it is hard to get people to play these games. We have not had a chance to play MotoGrandPrix extensively, but I do not like it as much (and i'm a huge MotoGP fan!) at this time.

I have heard good things about Snow Tails (dogsledding?) and Turfmaster (horse racing).

good luck. please post any good finds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Turf Master is CRAZY expensive. Just a heads-up.

How many people do you have to game with? It's a relevant question to this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar was already mentioned. The lightest racing game out there on a track

Was able to try Snow Tails recently. The change of theme from stock cars to dogs in a refreshing pace

Last but not least, if you're looking for something super light and that doesn't even require a track*, check out Formula Motor Racing.

* The "track" isnt' really a track. It just tracks relative position
* The rules even say the include "track" is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.