United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But pirates turn into zombies when you kill them as well, so try diplomacy first, before killing your opponents' pirates.

Designed by: David E. Whitcher
Published By : PyroMyth Games

When a pirate's greed is greater then his fear of death he'll do just about anything including robbing graves even if he knows that the dead will seek revenge for his trespass.
Dead Man's island pits pirate against pirate and the dead against all in an adventure of swords, shovels & skullduggery.

arrrh zombie arrrh zombie

For 1-4 players ages 10 and up.
Average play time 45 min.

Direct Buy Link

Dead Man's Island is Print and Play game. When you buy the game, you will get a zip file which includes 3 pdfs:
-Full color map (2 pages)
- 8-page instruction manual
-Counters (2 pages)

I printed the map to 110lb cardstock and taped it together, as recommended. The rules I printed in booklet form, double sided, in B+W.
The counters were printed to full page labels and stuck to chipboard. Then I cut them out. There was white space around each counter, so I had to do a lot of extra cutting.
The art is cartoony, and fits well for the game.

You also get some boats to put your pirates in. The boat travels around the outside of the island.

Helpful Info:

Okay, on to Game Play.
Obviously setup has to come first. If you have the different types sorted, then it's really easy to set up. Grab 6 zombies and 6 treasure chests, flip over, mix them up, and put 1 on each grave.
Each other player takes a boat, 3 pirates, and they take turns picking some items. Each pirate gets 2 items, and put 3 more items in your longboat.
Then each player picks a cove, and places their boat marker there.

Different Items:
-Shovel. Used to Dig up graves. Graves can have a zombie or a treasure chest.

-Sword. Gives you an attack bonus vs other pirates or zombies.

-Lantern. Throwing items. Throw at long range at enemies.

Each turn you may act with all your pirates. Your pirates can move, attack, throw, dig and row. Pirates move 2, but only 1 when carrying a chest of treasure. Zombies will move toward the closest group of pirates and attack without regard for weapons or death. Well, they are already dead, but still...
Pirates and Zombies will take "POW!" markers as damage until they die. Zombies just fall down and crumble to dust. Pirates will turn into a Zombie when they die.

Helpful Diagram:

arrrh --->>> zombie

To win, you must load up a number of treasures and carry the back to your longboat, and then row off. Not as easy as it sounds. If your fellow pirates take a liking to your gold, they can try and take it from your longboat. Or the zombies can overwhelm you if unchecked. Spend too much effort fighting each other, and the zombies just might keep the treasure themselves.

There is also a solo play option. With only 3 pirates, you must collect all 6 treasure chests, and row away before the zombies overwhelm you.

What do I think of the game?
Dead Man's Island is an easy little pirate game. There aren't too many rules, or too many counters, so you won't be swamped. Turns go fast, combat is simple, yet with the random setup, and the choosing of items, each game can go in a completely different direction.
With more players, you may have to spend some time discussing options, tactics and plans with eachother. You will have to remain friendly, while planning to backstab them and take thier longboat loaded with gold.
In a 2 Player game, you will have a fun time deciding whether to attack each other or the zombies.
I rate the game a 7 . There is nothing particulurly stunning or unique about the game, yet it scrathes a nice pirate/zombie itch.

Oh, and watch out for the Kraken. As you row around the island, you may be forced to drop items or crew members to the Kraken. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, I laughed more than once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
Nice review, I laughed more than once!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.