Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hannibal conquers Saguntum and thus begins the 2nd Punic War.

218 BC. Rome subjugates the Boii in the North and the Brutii in the South and controls Galia Cisalpina. Hannibal marches south and recruits some Ligurians. Carthage controls all of Hispania.

217 BC. Hannibal crosses the Alps and takes control of Galia Cisalpina after defeating Nero, who must retreat to Rome. Mago tries to siege Tarentum, but is intercepted and defeated by Publius Scipio.

216 BC. Mago tries to capture Tarentum again, and this time he succeeds with the aid of some traitors. On the plains of Ariminum, the great armies of Hannibal and the consul Flaminius clash. After a long and hard-fought battle, the Carthaginian general is killed and his army wiped out. Italy sighs of relief.

215-207 BC. The Republic of Rome fails to capitalize on momentum, allowing Carthage to recover and build up strength in Hispania and Africa. A huge Roman army is sent to Narbo in preparation for the conquest of Hispania.

206-204 BC. In a double campaign, Scipio Junior sails to Malaca with a whole army while Flaminius attacks from the North. The equal armies of Hasdrubal and Scipio meet in Corduba. Fortune helps the Romans score a decisive victory over the Carthaginians, a feat that earns Scipio his agnomen "Hispanus".

204-202 BC. Most of Hispania falls under Roman control and New Carthage is besieged. Carthage sues for peace, ending the war. By the end of the conflict, Rome is master of all of Hispania and Carthage is confined to her dominions in Africa.

This 3 hour session was very tense, with the major battles decided with the last card. My opponent suggested using the following house rule: no consul could be re-elected twice in a row. As a consequence, Rome combined good years with bad years. While I was far from impressed with the results of such a rule, I would like to hear what others think.

Edit: grammar mistake in title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Roma victis!
Romans subjugating Boii in 218 - interesting...You must have had a fortunate opening hand of 3 Ops and campaign cards, or some very nice subjugation rolls, to do that. Either way, a nice (and risky) opener for Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This was my second game of Hannibal, so let's say I was "noobishly" daring.

I used a Minor Campaign to subjugate BOTH Boii and Brutii, and then used two more cards in total to complete the subjugation. So yes, I rolled a 6 for each tribe and then a 3+ in the other roll. blush

I cannot remember my hand, but I probably had three 3 OP cards in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your title means "Rome to the conquered". I think you mean to say "Roma vincens"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rindu wrote:
Your title means "Rome to the conquered". I think you mean to say "Roma vincens"

Oops. blush

You are totally right! My intention was to say "Rome wins". Would that translate as "Rome vincit"? I guess it shows I never took Latin at school. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, "roma vincit" is it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.