Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall hearing that there are some 7-8 player rules available. I'm not quite sure where to look or if it is an official rule set. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 7 and played folowing the rules for 5-6 players.

Example of the board for 7

And the associated instructions http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/25654

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The first edition of Catan came with rules for up to eight players. They were actually two different Catan base sets that only differed by the colour of the pieces. The idea was to buy two base sets to be able to play up to eight players.

I have a PDF of the first edition rules. Send me a geekmail with your email address and I will send you an email with the PDF attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,
I would love those instructions for Catan for 7-8. We're playing a big game at a pub on Tuesday, and just need to squeeze in a couple of more!
Thanks,
Noreen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
How to play Catan on more than 4 players:

1) Make the island bigger. You'll need room. How big? Well, just enlarge it. For 7 and more, you'll need more than just the expansion set for 5-6 players.

2) After each player's turn, there is an "extra building phase" where ALL players (in turn) may build (only build, not trade nor use harbours) using their cards. This is because having 5 or 6 players roll the dice before you get a chance to get rid of some cards will make a roll of 7 too devastating and unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Frankly, to play with eight players, I'd recommend splitting into two 4-player games. I think that would usually wind up being more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd edition rulebook has a 7/8-player map that is essentially two 3/4-player maps stuck together in a "peanut" shape.

We've played it a couple of times, and it works rather well. A lot of trading gets done in order to make use of the Special Build phase. (Seeing as how 6-7 players get their turn before you do!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Christopher
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
paperfred wrote:
The first edition of Catan came with rules for up to eight players. They were actually two different Catan base sets that only differed by the colour of the pieces. The idea was to buy two base sets to be able to play up to eight players.

I have a PDF of the first edition rules. Send me a geekmail with your email address and I will send you an email with the PDF attached.

can you please send me the pdf of the rules to tina@kaoticcreations.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is an old thread and paperfred has not logged in in a month you might want to send a geekmail instead. You can do this by clicking on the envelope icon in his post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest
United States
Mclean
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Do you still need a pdf of 7-8 player Catan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lilwayne lilwayne

California
msg tools
Yes I would love the Pdf For 7-8 player settlers, I'm also wondering if i should just buy another set of regular settlers and play them together like previous mentioned first edition settlers.

Would love to play with more people at church.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hauser
msg tools
Sorry to wake this post, but is it possible for me to get the first addition 8 player PDF as well?

Anyone willing to PM me the PDF I would be very grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annelies Bijvelds
msg tools
Thomassaurus wrote:
Sorry to wake this post, but is it possible for me to get the first addition 8 player PDF as well?

Same here!

Cheers,

Annelies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnneBij wrote:
Thomassaurus wrote:

Same here!

Cheers,

Annelies

I would as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Riley
msg tools
I would love a pm of those 8 player rules if they are available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oly olyoly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Me too if possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hauser
msg tools
Well nobody has sent me any PDF files so far, but as someone who has played many games with 7 or more players since I last posted here I can give you guys my experience.

You always want to have at least 5 land tiles for each player in the game. However when playing with a large amount of players you may want to include a bit more land then just 5 per player, because It's much easier for someone to get trapped the more players you add. The exact amount is up to you.

Another thing, we sometimes add a house rule that we can trade with the bank during building phase when we have 8 or more players. I wouldn't say this is necessary though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.