Subject: Conan dies of starvation in the desert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually after reading the rules and playing a game or two one can get some sort of idea of the strategy needed to actually make some headway in a game. I must confess this one has me stumped. And I think I like it...

The game components
I got the files from the Dwarfstar website - for free! They consist of the map, the rule book, the event book and some tables. (Unfortunately I could not download the cast metal mini that came with the original game.)

I had to do some serious photoshopping to make the map work. As with the other Dwarfstar game I built(Goblin) I had to clone out all the fold valleys, and extend the map at the middle cut in order to make the two vertical parts align. I also had to do some color adjustments to make it print better. Then I cut the map into six tiles, printed on A4 sheets and pasted on cardboard. The result was quite nice. The two game booklets I printed on A5 and bound them with string and glue into a single hard backed volume. I pasted the original cover art onto a scan of a famous RPG game book's cover art, a nice antique leather bound book with copper clasps.

For the game counter I made a little stand up figure with the hero's portrait on it.

The rules
The game mechanics are basically as follows: You start with the first event paragraph - Conan Arath has to flee his homeland to avoid being killed by his father's murderer and usurper to the throne. He hitches a ride with a merchant caravan, en then as they approach the border, jumps off the wagon and rolls into a ditch.
From here on, you decide what you (yes, you are the intrepid pect rippling jock)want to do every day. Travel (you can walk one hex, ride two or fly three hexes a day) rest, hang about town or suck up to the local main cookies. Every action is governed by a rule or two, several dice rolls and a myriad of random events that you read from the event booklet. During your travels you pick up sidekicks and servants, and if you are lucky, even a true love. (Usually the daughter of some small town tyrant). The point of the game is to make money. This mostly happen when you pick the pockets of your slaughtered adversaries, it seems.

The game is a lot like the old fighting fantasy choose-your-own-adventure type books, but because you decide where you want to go on the game board, it is much less deterministic with less of a preset storyline.

Game play
The morning after fleeing my father's murderer I jumped of the ox wagon just north of a big river. I had to cross the river immediately in order to escape the pursuing mercenaries. Unfortunaltely my life at court (partying, pumping iron in the gym, and brawling), although it gave me this magnificent physique, did not prepare me for survival and navigation in the bush. I got lost crossing the river, probably nearly drowned, and ending up spending the night on the same side I started on. Next morning, surprise, surprise, the mercenaries catch up with me. I manage to talk my way out of the situation, telling them a sop story about me being a poor actor making money as a character double for the Royal Prince, which I may resemble, but definitely am not. (A high wit and wiles score is useful). I tried to cross the river again, and this time succeeded. Spent the night in a swamp (damn mozzies, I still itch) and got lost the next day and the next. The third day I was lucky enough to wander out of the swamp into the open country to the south. I followed a river south in order to get to the closest town.

A day later four guys came wandering along. Probably highwaymen. They gave me the lip and I attacked. I killed their leader and one of his minions, and then the other two bolted. Got a few gold coins, not much, off the corpses. But at least I would be able to afford lodgings when I got to town.

I spent a week in town healing from the multiple wounds I received in the fight with the robbers, and after that decided to hang out a bit and see if I could scrape together some more cash. I checked out a caravan, no luck. I tried to get a hearing with the local big guy, no luck again. (I was hoping to get friendly with his daughter.) Then my cash ran out and I had to move on, could not afford lodgings anymore.

I wandered towards a desert in the west, where I had heard that there were ruins. On the third day of searching the ruins some ancient booby trap spell hit me. I went mad and started hallucinating. A day later I found myself starving in the hills to the north east. I tried to hunt, but having gone without food a few days, was unsuccessful. Eventually I had no strength left.

As fate would have it, it was in this condition that the giant found me. He invited me to dinner, I was to be the main course. How could I refuse...

Thoughts on strategy
Is far as I can figure out, with my limited experience, the only winning strategy in this game would be to cheat.

Verdict
More fun than going to the dentist. In fact, I plan to get in a few more sessions in the next week or so. I think the game should have a reasonable replay value because of the sheer amount of possible events. I played two reasonable games and still only scratched the surface. As soon as things start to get familiar, it would be time to shelf it for a year or so.

I give this game 5 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could be a doll, and upload your "corrected version" of the game as pdf....modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Fritz said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Willey
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! I've been wanting to print this bad boy up for a long time, but could never get the map right. My photoshop abilities are severely lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one map with the fold lines already removed in the files section, if you're not looking specifically for one already split to A4 pages: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/33209
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not realise someone had already removed the valleys
Coulda saved me an hour.
As far as the color correction is concerned, what I did worked for my particular printer, it may not work for yours.
So the jobs already done!

I uploaded the front and back pages of my booklet, I hope it will be approved.

Edit: It was.

Edit again: The back cover was rejected.
The rejector commented that he could not make out what it was about. Of course he could not, it is a blank (without the art and title) mirror image of the front page. If only he had spent a moment to try to find out what it was about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Willey
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks JaneDoe. I did know it was there, but it isn't split up for easy printing. I got off my butt and did a quick split of that map myself this morning with a little overlapping so I could connect them. I uploaded the map to Kinkos about twenty minutes ago. I also uploaded the rules and events coil bound with Wynands front cover (looks good!). Everything printed and bound for $17. Not too bad I guess. Will have to see how the map turns out. I know I tried splitting up the map before and the scales varied for each page and they didn't line up too well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
Edit again: The back cover was rejected.
The rejector commented that he could not make out what it was about. Of course he could not, it is a blank (without the art and title) mirror image of the front page. If only he had spent a moment to try to find out what it was about...

Try resubmitting it later with an explanation of what it's for in the caption. It took more than a single rejection vote for it to be rejected, quite often you'll get no explanation at all (and the occasional snarky remark).

Alternatively, do the covers up as a PDF and submit it in the "Files" section, the moderation there isn't whim-driven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The front and back covers are now available as a .PDF file. They should print just slightly bigger than A5 on A4 pages - I hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.