Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I don't enjoy Prince of Florence but I do enjoy El Grande though not as much as a top 10 game. Goa is a favourite of mine.
Will I like Tikal?
I keep seeing it at Essen for a decent price so should I buy it this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like any of those. Yes, you should get it.

When you play Key Harvest, do you like the spatial puzzle of building fields in the spaces that your neighbours aren't using, and trying to set a price for fields that they won't quite pay? Because Tikal feels the same to me as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Played the game last weekend and we all thought it was great.

I suppose it all depends what you like and as John said there are no similarities to the games you mentioned. Do you have El Capitain ? The latter might suit your taste better than Tikal.

Why not have a read about it on the Tikal Forum before you finally decide to buy a copy (however decent the price is).

Kind regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will enjoy it.

You rate Maharaja: Palace Building in India as an "8". In both games you will want to perform more actions than your allowance permits.

You comment on the theme being a positive feature of Elfenland. Tikal has the closest match of theme to mechanics of any game I have played. (And Greg Schloesser takes the same view, so it must be true!)

And the German edition is fine - the game is entirely language-independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post is basically guaranteed to meet with a flood of "Tikal is awesome, you'll love it" responses. Of course we feel that way or we probably wouldn't watch this forum, and you don't really provide any information about what qualities you like and don't like in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
"Tikal is awesome, you'll love it"

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal is a great game. Looks good too. My ONLY minor gripe is that the tile draw can add some luck element to things, and the auction variant to alleviate the role luck plays takes too long (IMO). But overall, it's one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the comments everyone, I was sort of aware that I'd get a lot of "it's awesome, you'll love it"-'s but I've read disparaging reviews quoting a number of the issues brought up as though they were major issues e.g. theme integration - teleporting minions?, random tile draws, long play time. I'm still not sure whether Key Harvest is my type of game and a comparison with Tycoon (El Capitan) doesn't do it any favours, however if I see it in Essen for less than 10EUR I'll probably pick up a copy, one of you must be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone, I was sort of aware that I'd get a lot of "it's awesome, you'll love it"-'s but I've read disparaging reviews quoting a number of the issues brought up as though they were major issues e.g. theme integration - teleporting minions?, random tile draws, long play time. I'm still not sure whether Key Harvest is my type of game and a comparison with Tycoon (El Capitan) doesn't do it any favours, however if I see it in Essen for less than 10EUR I'll probably pick up a copy, one of you must be right.

None of them know what they're talking about!

This is absolutely the best game there is if you are looking for an integration of mechanics and theme. Not teleporting, but tunnels or secret paths! Not random tile draws, but exploration in a dense jungle where you don't know what the next area will look like until you get there! They're obviously not using their imagination. Long play time - only if you play the auction variant (which I've never played because I think it would cause a thinning of the theme).

By the way, I quite like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
Long play time - only if you play the auction variant (which I've never played because I think it would cause a thinning of the theme).

By the way, I quite like this game.

I like to think of the auction variant as thematically representing bidding to hire indigenous guides; since they know the area they can lead you to a new treasure trove, etc. So no theme-thinning required!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.