Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

I'm going to Germany this month and while there I will pick up some games (replacement for my worn out Schotten Totten cards and Treasure Chest) - but I want to pick up some other small sized games as well, and thus I'd appreciate some advice.

The criteria looks something like this:
1) I love deep games and have plenty of those - but I need some more 'pick up' and play games. Games that are basically fillers or at least easy/short to set up and explain. Easy to explain rules is a must, short set-up time also. All players in my group are seasoned boardgamers so depth is not a problem but sometimes it's just nice not having to consult the rulebook during the first five games.

2) It should scale between 2-4(+) players. Ideally it should at least be playable with 2 even if it would excel with more. I most play with 2 or 4 people.

3) Fun. I have fillers such as Medici vs Strozzi that are easy to set up but less fun than calculus class. These games have their place in my collection but are not what I'm looking for. In terms of depth/fun I'd be looking for something on the fun scale ranging from games such as 6 nimmt! Modern Art For Sale- which for us is a fun lightweight game that has some depth while being a pick-up-and-play game - and upwards towards RoboRally.

4) Decent size game box: I'm looking to take it as hand-luggage so boxes that do not hog space.

5) It does not have to be a game available only in Germany, but of course it does not hurt, as it would be more worth the effort of going down to my FLGS. Language idependency is a plus but not a must.

6) I'm going there in August so no need to suggest Essen releases not yet available.

7) Not completely luck-driven, not to the extent of annoyance.

8) No pure trick taking card games - I have plenty of those.

I've been looking at the following, so please comment on those but I would also like to get further suggestions! Thanx in advance! GG for the helpfull!

* Pack & Stack I missed out on Factory Fun and Zack & Pack looks like a fun and frantic lightweight alternative?

* Piece o' Cake Looks fun, light and lovely. Concerns: plays well only with 5?

* Fast Flowing Forest Fellers I don't have a racing game in my collection and this looks to fit some of my criteria. But is it just a light version of Snow Tails?

* Pyramid of Pengqueen Terrible with two?

* Hart an der Grenze Silly, yes, but is it good enough to hit the table often?

* Cockroach Salad Looks fun but is it just too random?

* Um Reifenbreite Not a pick up and play kind of game?

(These kinds of light filleresque games really divide people's opinions so I do understand why my Geekbuddies ratings were not too much help)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small box: Pickomino (or Sushizock im Gockelwok, which is similar) and Coloretto.

Ingenious, or Blokus, both are big box games, but there are travel editions, though I'm not sure if those are just for two players.

Through the Desert is pretty easy to explain as well (and the box isn't too big).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nsolitander wrote:
Piece o' Cake Looks fun, light and lovely. Concerns: plays well only with 5?
No, no, no. While it certainly helps to have more players in the game, it is still a fun game even with 2 players.

You should also look at the two smaller Keltis. Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel and Keltis: Das Kartenspiel as they are quick small games which can be picked up and played in less than half an hour, scales well from 2 - 4 and can't be found outside of Germany. Yet, is probably a good thing to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
Small box: Pickomino (or Sushizock im Gockelwok, which is similar) and Coloretto.

Ingenious, or Blokus, both are big box games, but there are travel editions, though I'm not sure if those are just for two players.

Through the Desert is pretty easy to explain as well (and the box isn't too big).

Thanx! I own Coloretto and I have traded away Blokus, and Blokus Duo has been hitting the table now during the summer months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
how about Unnamed Object, but it's for 3+ players.. a lot of fun..

other things that i do enjoy are For Sale, Dominion (it's kind a filler in a time manner). I would also recommend Saboteur, and Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Not really a game that is exclusive to germany (are there any?), but I think that Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age fits your criteria nicely. Yes, it's got a lot of luck thorugh the dice, but most of the time you can do something useful with any roll.
BTW, in case you happen to be in Frankfurt and have some time to spare, drop me a line. Maybe we can set something up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:

Yes ... From that series of small Zoch games, the best are:

Heckmeck im Bratwurmeck (which is Pickomino),
Sushizock im Gockelwok (which has no English equivalent yet), and
Hoppladi Hopplada!.

Incidentally, Zoch have just released a mini version of Heckmeck called Heckmeck - Das Kultspiel which is only a few Euros, comes in a tin which will fit in your pocket, even if you are only 2 feet tall.

Also ...

Kuhhandel (which is You're Bluffing!) is a good one, although may not play 2.

Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel is excellent, especially with 3 or 4 players, but also plays 2.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
There is a travel version of Ubongo.

Check out Risk Express

Ra: the dice game is coming out quite soon.

Sushizock is excellent for what it is.

Wow - Three Knizia dice games in a row. Plus one more mentioned below. Just wait for Keltis: the Dice Game.

Here is a Geeklist I did on the topic a while ago (games you cannot get here): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34696

Dos de Mayo, Ra: the dice game, and others will get domestic releases.

You might not want to get the Alea box set in Germany, as Jay/RGG is doing a US version that will include extra goodies like Princes of Florence stuff.

A few to look at:

The whole EasyPlay line (Finito/Big Points/etc) If you like Schotten-Totten, check out Los Banditos - S-T with dice.

I really like Valdora, but it is a large box.

For two players, how about:
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Mamma Mia! Plus" - 10th anniversary expanded edition of "Mamma Mia!" with additional recipes and ingredients for one more player (2-6) in a nice tin box. It's a great, simple, unusual and fun memory game. My most played game alongside 6 Nimmt! (a.k.a. Category 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Ligretto, which is sold under the name LIGRETTO.

The players try to place their cards on the table. You may place a card on a card of matching color with the right number (2 on 1, 3 on 2 etc.). All players play simultanously and as fast as they can, there is no turn order.

The database lists also Ligretto 2 which is supposed to be better for two players. I do not know this version, so I have no idea if this is true. Ligretto is best with four players, but if you buy different colored sets, you can put them together and play with up to eight players. Of course, the game will get messy :-).

Ave Caesar is a simple racing game for 2 - 6 players IIRC. Nice filler.

And then there is the series of Wings of War: Famous Aces etc. It is popular here. I am still not sure if I like it or if it is just flying random circles until someone loses :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de will probably ship to Finland?? I am not sure. If you understand enough German to place an order, this may help you to get some games without travelling. I know that many Finns speak some German, so this may be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
One other idea is Gloria Picktoria - this is a newer version of Get the Goods.

Edit: Aack. The newer version is called Gloria Picktoria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Amazon.de will probably ship to Finland?? I am not sure. If you understand enough German to place an order, this may help you to get some games without travelling. I know that many Finns speak some German, so this may be an option.

Sure I use Amazon.de, but I'm an addict I gotta get my fixes on the go also. I tend to order big boxes online (as shipping is the same for small and big boxes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.