Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advanced age and poor eyesight have been catching up with me. I was thinking about spending the remainder of my life (or at least it seems it will take that long!) making a enlarged 3D version of some of the boards and some larger counters. Is there a manifest (somewhere, anywhere) listing the suggested number of counters to make (to cover the majority of the games), their values and (most importantly) jpegs of the troop and vehicle images so that I could make some half way decent looking counters? The boards should be fairly easy - just make multiple enlarged color copies and mount - the counters look to be the problem here. Anyone else done the "footwork" already and are willing to share? Would an enlarged copy of a scanned (and unpunched) counter sheet work? [I am afraid that the enlarged images would look "grainy" and be as unreadable as the smaller counters are now - hence the desire to "make" the counters.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
The VASL counter images should scale better than a countersheet scan. You could copy/paste sequences of those into a single countersheet image of your own, then add the ID letters before printing onto your counter substance of choice.

Not sure whether you'd need permission from the image copyright owner for this kind of use or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think not if it were a single run issue ... will try that. I thought you had to have PAINT or one of those fancy programs to do it though.... Also, trying to get a handle on just what would be a useful amount of counters - without making 7 million of them like I have now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
As the ASL player base ages this will be a common problem. It would be nice if MMP would do a complete graphic re-design of ASL. But I doubt that they would be able to justify the cost.

Look at Combat Commander as an example of a more modern graphic design in a tactical game. Personally I don't care much for the card driven gameplay of CC but I admire the graphics. The basic unit counters are 5/8" rather than 1/2" and have a crisp graphic style that makes them easy to read. And the maps have large hexes. Of course if you give the standard ASL map hexes as large as Combat Commander it would double their length and width and make their overall area 4 times larger.

Maybe one solution for you would be to get one of those huge Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glasses and use it to examine the ASL playing field.

I think that the newer counters from MMP supposedly are a larger font. I haven't seen them yet though. Also, how big can it be? The counter is still little.

Playing on VASL may help as well, though I'm not sure that you can enlarge this yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:

Maybe one solution for you would be to get one of those huge Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glasses and use it to examine the ASL playing field.

I've seen this in action. It happens. I'm not there yet, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Binko wrote:

I've seen this in action. It happens. I'm not there yet, though.

Nah, without the nifty "Sherlock Holmes hat" - the magnifying glass just looks lame.... My eyesight started out bad and got worse - I can hardly wait for 60 now.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.