Popular Tags: World [+] Small [+] [View All]
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to wait a day or so to write this session since I was a little upset about my second experience with Small World. Not because of the game itself, but the way I played it. 4 Player game Players (in Turn Order): Josh, Rachel, Nate, and myself

Turn 1: Josh picks Spirited Amazons and takes a couple of mountain territories for a decent first round score. Up next, Rachel picks Bjvaking Giants and comes into the southern end of the map to take the rest of the mountain territories. Nate picks the Stout Ratmen and invades the northern territories and goes immediately into decline. Last pick, I got the race that everyone skipped over: Heroic Elves, setting up shop in the western part of the map-taking some Amazon territories and a Ratmen territory in which Nate starts to pout about. I draw a target on my back because of my bonus with picking the race no one wanted and taking a good amount of territories.

Turn 2: Amazons spread into the territory, nothing spectacular to report. Giants continue their rise in the south, using their mountain attack bonus. Nate picks his new race: Dragonmaster Trolls and starts in from the east (in Giant territory). Rachel is not too happy, but moves on. I decide to keep pressing with my Heroic Elves and take more Ratmen territory.

Turn 3: Amazons go into decline. Giants go on decline. Dragonmaster Trolls still attacking and setting up lairs in the south. Elves go into Decline.

Turn 4: Josh picks Ghouls and makes a 'protective' layer around his amazons. Rachel picks Underground Wizards and wipes out the rest of my elves (whatever Josh didn't attack). Nate kept setting up troll lairs. I pick Hill Halflings and setup my holes-in-the-ground. Didn't get many points since all my elves are basically wiped out.

Turn 5: The Ghouls go on decline. Wizards still spread their influence, popping up through their underground tunnel system. Trolls still spreading. I go on decline.

Turn 6: Ghouls take more territory... Josh picks Pillaging Skeletons and now has 3 races scoring for him. Wizards go on decline. Trolls still going strong. I pick Mounted Orcs and tear up some of the Ghoul territory.

Turn 7: Ghouls pull out of territory and enter into the east. Rachel picks Diplomatic Sorcerers and comes into the new Ghoul territory in the east (also starts breaking up the Troll layers). Trolls go into decline. I pick up all my Orcs and come into the east (using my mounted bonus). Nate gets upset again... something about that was the 3rd person to attack him during that round.

Turn 8: Ghouls still present pull out and enter into the north. Skeletons come in from the south (attacking more trolls and giants). Josh is scoring about 15 and 17 points now. Ridiculous. Sorcerers are still going strong in the south. Nate picks Berserk Humans and comes into the north (taking most of my halfings out). Orcs go into decline.

Turn 9: Ghouls are still ghouls.... hard to get rid of. Skeletons are still spreading. By this time Josh almost has control of 1/2 the board. Rachel goes into Decline. Nate takes his humans and tries to spread out some. I pick Seafaring Elves (since the races have started to cycle back through again). Coming into the north and taking out some Ghouls.

Last Turn: Ghouls have lost some of their numbers but still continue to be a nuisance. Skeletons taking advantage of declining sorcerers take most of the south. Rachel picks merchant dwarves that everyone had been passing over - gets a decent last score. Nate continues to berserk through the north, totally backstabbing me and cutting me off. My understanding of seafaring elves was not clear and I got so pissed at this point since I knew I was already losing and Nate cutting me off just to piss off more of my points away. The game is over and the totals come in: Josh: 116, Rachel: 95, Nate: 104, Me: a pathetic 68.soblue

Looking back at it, I am still pretty pissed that I played that way. I guess I was just in a rush to actually get a race that I liked (instead of playing the numbers). Also, my declining races seemed to get wiped out easily so my score really suffered. I was also genuinely trying to help Rachel out since she gets upset when we play these games... but her score was indicative that she didn't really need my help.soblue Josh's victory was well deserved. Of course it helped that he had the spirit power and Ghouls. A little ridiculous, but good play from him non-the-less. The other thing I realized is that a crucial part of the game is campaigning/plotting with other players to get them to not attack you by showing them a "better" alternative. Some people try to "help" you by giving you suggestions and really they are just setting you up to fail. I guess that's what upset me most about the last move that Nate pulled on me. I won't let that happen again. Of course I plan on taking a break from board games cause I was surprised about how upset I got.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Josh got some sweeeeet combinations.

Spirit anything in round one is sweet, followed by quickly declinging Ghouls and then moreso with late game pillaging-skeletons. Pillaging skeletons has to be one of the strongest combos late game as both powers are synergising allowing you cut swathes into declined tokens and gaining both coins and extra skeletons.

I managed 100 points in a 4 player game on tuesday and i thought that was an immense score so to get 116 is simply HUGE.

So yeah i guess you got it right when you said you need to work the softer negotiation avenue that you rightly recognised and should have all tried to work together beating on josh!

Play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report.

The only thing I was unclear about was how your heroic elves were wiped out. The good thing about the elves is that they retain all their units every turn so at the very least you can spread to two or three more territories.

With two heroes you should be able to hold five territories a turn at least and possibly more since you can use the heroes to set up a wall on the side you're weakest on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:
The only thing I was unclear about was how your heroic elves were wiped out.

That was by my own doing... I had strung them out too thin... then couldn't go anywhere else. I didn't leave them in a decent defensive position when going into decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.