Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a day off work earlier this week and came back to find the lunch time crowd playing a new variant!

What they were doing was simply this. On your turn you ask your opponent to give you a card from their rack and then you play it out.

Simple. Daft? I thought so at first, but not after watching them play. The interesting part of this is how it effects play, which was a little unexpected.

Knowing your opponent it going to try and stuff you by playing cards to your weakness, makes you have to strongly consider what those weakness are rather than focusing on your strengths which is the usual way to play.

A sample weakness is, a lack of troops in one area. If you have no troops there, guess which cards your opponent will play. So even more than usual you will find yourself moving towards the hexes between the regions of the board. A unit on one of those special hexes is now a potential life saver. It forces your opponent to double think every card before they give it to you no longer can they blithely play a region you don’t occupy because you are in all regions!

The secondary effect is that the slight drift to the special hexes causes a clumping of troops. Your opponent is near that line, so you move near that line. This is really quite fun to watch as the combats draw in more and more troops. This "clumping" also leads to the situations where being able to surround your opponents pieces to prevent retreats is feasible much more often.

In a standard game it is often wise to push forward a reduced unit if you can use it to cause casualties but when the game is played this way they become a much bigger liability. Here’s why. You’ll be starting the game by managing your hand to give your opponent the worst cards, ( the opposite of usual hand management ) so towards the latter half of the game you find you’ve collected a bunch of cards that are great for your opponent.

Imagine it, the worst card you can give him is "order three units in one region". So you give him this card and in that region you have two weakened units, your worthy opponent is going to be in a winning situation! So when you can it is worth while bringing the weakened troops back away from the firing line.

So in summary, this is a worthwhile variant, it adds a new challenge and in some ways makes the battle "seem" more realistic, and is an interesting twist on hand management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not particularly fond of any variants. However, this one sounds like it has a lot of merit. I am not sure I would always like to play it but it sounds like a great alternative to spice this game up from time to time. Thanks for sharing!

One question: Do Ambushes still work the same? So it would be my opponent's turn. I give him a card from my hand to play. As soon as he goes to battle, I play the Ambush. I would then draw two cards to replenish my hand.

And that brings up another question. You are refilling your hand on your opponent's turn and vice versa, correct? So at the end of any given turn, you should be up to your full command right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory it could work, but think of this: Would you give your opponent the "barrage" card if you had five cards to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Slotracer wrote:
In theory it could work, but think of this: Would you give your opponent the "barrage" card if you had five cards to choose from?

Probably not. Just like you probably wouldn't hold on to it if you had 4 other Recon 1 cards. But the point is that you would eventually have to give them good cards and choose between the lesser of evils.

But I assume the cards like Barrage that get played a lot now would get played much less. And cards that get played less now would get played a lot more. Dig In would become my favorite card to give away!

Perhaps this could be modified along the lines of the Commissar rules in that if you had a Recon 1 or Counter-Attack in your hand, you could play it directly instead of asking your opponent to play your card. Because CA's are the cards I see getting the most screwed in this variant. And the point of Recon 1's are that you don't move but you get compensated by potentially getting a better card. In this variant, you are screwing your opponent by limiting their orders AND screwing them again by getting to look at 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did this affect play length? I would think it would draw out a game since you're only giving crap back and forth. Maybe if you reduce the hand size of each side by one, that would help get the better cards into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It did add a bit to game length, or at least it seemed to. That didn't feel like a problem when playing though.

The "Ambush" card was played "as normal" ( for yourself ), which I should have mentioned in the article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does sound interesting, I must admit.

The only problem I can see apart from additional game length is that Barrage and cards which add a bonus dice would almost never be played, which is a shame.

I've just thought of another alternative.

How about simulating the time lag in implementing orders? Each turn you place the card face down on the table that you will use NEXT turn. That way you can't immediately react to your opponents actions.

If you played a recon card you are allowed to put TWO cards on the table, which you can choose 1 to play from next turn.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps special cards should be put aside to be drawn between every third hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
z morgan
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a very interesting mod, i must say. can't wait to try it...

how about this:
take tactics cards out and make a separate draw pile. when a player gains a medal, he may draw a tactic card. tactic cards can then be used at the owner's choice instead of the section card given him by his opponent on any turn. (there will need to be two discard piles also, to allow for re-shuffling of decks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, I like this idea. It help nullify a bad card thats given to you as well.

u_2_guy wrote:
a very interesting mod, i must say. can't wait to try it...

how about this:
take tactics cards out and make a separate draw pile. when a player gains a medal, he may draw a tactic card. tactic cards can then be used at the owner's choice instead of the section card given him by his opponent on any turn. (there will need to be two discard piles also, to allow for re-shuffling of decks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.