Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: ANY STEP BY STEP SIMPLE GAME EXAMPLES ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I looked at some of the sessions, but is there a pictorial+written first few Rounds session of this game ? Example: Player 1 takes Homer, Player 2 takes Library of Alexandria .....then it shows the steps taken after that (placing extra cards,then what the players do with their mines, farms , building their Wonder etc) up to about page 10 ? P..l...e..a...s...e

The first few turns and Rounds will help me a lot if I then play them and understand the flow of the game. In other words, the very basic mechanics

Sorry blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
This "Comprehensive Pictorial Overview" should help: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386394

This "Long Review" includes a description of the flow of play too: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/297812

Neither is quite the turn-by-turn article you are looking for, but they should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did one with a version of the cyberboard gamebox at one point. Would be easy to do again, methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

Here's what could happen, in a 2 player game. I'm player 1, my wife Anne is player 2.
Cards laid out as per the image on the front page:

Age A civil deck shuffled and dealt to the card row.
First Round
I get to spend 1 civil action getting a card from one of the 1st five spots.
Once this is done, I score science - 1 science being generated by the worker on the Philosophy technology card, who is actually occupying the lab, which is an urban building - but no culture since there is no worker on the Religion tech card so therefore no temple urban building.
Now the farms and mines receive blue tokens, one for each farm and one for each mine - at the start of the game each player has two workers on the Agriculture tech card and two workers on the Bronze tech card, therefore each player has 2 Age A farms and 2 Age A mines. Each worker, because they are Age A, produces 1 food in a farm and 1 resource in a mine, as shown by the white number at the bottom of the card.
The card row is not refilled between players during the first round.

Anne gets to spend 2 civil actions getting 2 cards from the first 5 spots or 1 card from the next 4 spots. Anne scores her science at the end of the turn, so we both now have our markers on 1 on the science track. Anne also receives 2 food and 2 resource

Second Round
Me
Card Row
I remove any cards from the first 3 spaces, if there are any, move all of the other cards to the left and then restock the card row from the Age A civil deck. The remaining Age A cards can be put back in the box. I place the Age I civil card deck on the board in the appropriate place.
Now I have 4 civil actions (CA) to use and 2 military actions (MA) to use. In a typical 2 player game, those actions may be used as follows:
If the card picked up in the first round was an action card (yellow) this could now be played for 1 CA (you can't play an action card on the same turn it's put in hand).
If the card picked up was a leader (green), this could be played for 1 CA.
NB If the card picked up was a wonder, it would have already been played as wonders cannot stay in hand.
I now have 2 food to optionally spend and 2 resources to optionally spend. I usually spend the resources on another mine, although my wife sometimes spends them on another farm.
To build a farm, it needs an unused worker (there's one already from the initial setup), it takes 1CA and 2 resources as printed on the left of the Agriculture card, so I move a white token off my government card, I move the blue tokens from the Bronze card back to my bank and then I move the unused worker from the pool of unused workers to the Agriculture card, thereby representing another farm, now three.
The next option for me might be to create another unused worker. The initial cost to create an unused worker is 1CA and 2 food, which I have so that's what I will do.
As I have no more resources or food, I can't use my civil actions for much else other than choosing cards, paying 1 CA for the first 5 spots or 2 CA for a card from the next 4. The 2 MA will remain unused in this case, although theoretically I could have used one of them to disband my infantry unit, sat on the Warrior tech card. This would of course lose strength which I don't want to do.
Going back to the card I may have in my hand - it costs 1 CA to play a card but these can make building farms/labs/mines/temples cheaper - it would give other options than just building a farm. A temple scores culture and gives you a happy face - in the simple game these score points at the end of the game.
I'll stick to the scenario painted above - I didn't play a card so my CAs were used as follows:
1 CA build a farm
1 CA increase population (create an unused worker)
2 CA pick cards from the card row
I now score science - 1 from the lab, still no culture being scored.
My 3 farms produce 3 food, my 2 mines produce 2 resource.

Anne
Card Row
As before, Anne removes cards from the first 3 spaces, moves cards from the left and refills from the Age I civil deck.
On the first turn, Anne picked up the action card Ideal Building Site so decides to use 1CA to play this card which allows her to immediately build an urban building for 1 resource less. There are 2 urban buidings available to build - a lab or a temple - both cost 3 resource. Ordinarily, these are unavailable on turn 2 without an action card but, with 2 resource on the Bronze tech card and 1 unused worker available, Anne chooses to build a temple. She immediately moves the happy face marker on her board and adjusts the Culture+ marker to help with scoring culture at the end of her turn. The 2nd CA is used to increase population (spending the 2 food), the 3rd and 4th CAs to choose a card or cards.
She now scores science +1 and culture +1, thereby taking a very early lead in the game!

Third Round
Me
Card Row replenished as before.
In earlier turns I've picked up an action card - Revolutionary Idea. In the card row is the Age I technology card - Irrigation. I decide that I want to "develop" this technology. My current science score is 2 - the Irrigation technology has 3 light bulbs on it, so I need to play the action card mentioned above.
So, for 1 CA, I play it and add 1 to my science, now 3.
For another CA I choose the Irrigation tech card from the card row and for a further CA I play it, reducing my current science score back to 0.
I place this card on top of the Agriculture tech card, roughly covering the top half.
With irrigation, any workers placed on this card will create 2 food.
I have 2 choices on how to get a worker on to the Irrigation card to build an Age I farm - if I had 4 resource and an unused worker I could create a brand new farm, bumping my food production up to 5 food.
As I don't have 4 resource, only 2, my only option is to upgrade one of my Age A farms. The cost to do this is 2 resource (4 - 2), so for my last CA I choose to do this. I move a worker from the Agriculture card to the Irrigation card and move the 2 blue tokens representing resource from my Bronze card back to the bank.
Still no MAs used, I end my turn there.
I now score science +1, which takes my total science from 0 to 1. Still no culture being scored (maybe I'm producing too much food?), I now add one blue token to the Irrigation card (it represents 2 food) and 2 blue tokens to the Agriculture card. I need to check for consumption, this is shown by the figure in the right-most non-empty region of the yellow bank. Because I still have an unused token in the right-most region I pay nothing. I place 2 blue tokens on my Bronze card.

I'll stop this imaginary game there as I think I've covered most of the simple game's mechanisms by this point. Does this help at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.