Subject: New Rules = Awesome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

yesterday my buddy Chris and I took the new CoH-rules for a test run. We used Firefight 2 form AtB. And what can I say: it's quite a difference and what's more important: it's fricking awesome! We both really loved the changes.

If you want more specifics, Chris has typed up a little report detailing all the differences: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/427865

Have Fun (we sure did!),

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about these new rules. Are they replacing the old? Or just alternate rules? Can you play the first CoH with the new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
I don't know much about these new rules. Are they replacing the old? Or just alternate rules? Can you play the first CoH with the new rules?

The updated ruleset applies to both SoS and AtB. Yes you can(and should) play ATB with the new rules.

I concur. It makes the game go faster, and feel more intense. And makes more sense logically - no more do you have infantry running across open fields straight past MGs without some retaliation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play AtB with the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Sims
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But where can I get those new rules?

Any link...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hong
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi DaRealOdi,

uwe wrote:
The rules for Storms of Steel done. I would like to get some reactions from players. There have been some subtle, but really deep reaching changes.
Meaning, the rules have been streamlined and I am told they are much easier to learn. But we also opened them up for better reaction ability. I am really excited about this and love playing the new system. We played most of the AtB firefights with the new ruleset and they were great.

Please email me at ueickert@gmail.com with a NON-BBG email address!!! This way I can send you the 9 meg file.

I would like some immediate comments to the rules then.

Thanks,
Uwe

Found @ http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3692561#3692561
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick rundown I wrote for Uwe of the new rules that can be integrated into Awakening the Bear. This will be polished up and posted as a file shortly:

1.1 Unit Types.
An "infantry squad" is now defined as any foot unit with an AP movement cost of 2 or less.

2.2 Taking Actions
All players can simultaneously have activated units. When both sides pass (or all but one person in a 3-4 player game passes), the round ends. A player can pay 1 AP or CAP to stall.

5.01 Foot Unit Causious Movement (Optional Rule)
The foot movement penalty and cautious movement rules are now one, optional rule, as opposed to two separate optional rules.
A foot unit entering a hex with a DM bonus (including Vehicle Cover, see 15.6) does not need to use cautious movement.

7.3 Destroyed Unit and CAP Track Adjustment
When your unit is destroyed, you immediately place it on the CAP track, starting with your maximum CAP allowance, and working your way down. If where you place the counter is on the same or lower square as your current CAP level, lower your CAP level to just below where you placed the unit by one.

7.4 Hits
Hiding the hit counter stats from your opponent is no longer optional, but is now a standard rule.

9.12 Group Firing
Supporting units in the firegroup must be within standard range (i.e., not long range) of the target hex.

10.0 Hiden Units
Hidden units may now be hit by any kind of incoming fire, not just red FP.

10.1 Hidden Movement.
Hidden movement now costs +3 AP when moving in covering terrain, and +6 AP if moving in open terrain.

10.2 Hiding units
When hiding units, they can now only hide one hex away from their original position, instead of 2.

14.0 Vehicle movement.
Wheeled vehicles now gain no bonus movement hexes unless performing road-to-road movement.
Wheeled vehicles may no longer enter hexes with barbed wire.

15.2 Vehicle hits
If a vehicle loses a specific colour of FP (red of blue), it may no longer make attacks against a defense rating of the matching colour.

21.0 Vehicle cover
Infantry squads do not need to move cautiously if entering the same hex as a friendly vehicle.

16.2 / 18.0 Anti-Tank and Infantry Guns.
The restriction that only small anti-tank and infantry guns may move into buildings hexes has been removed.

18.2 / 22.2 Bunkers
All foot units may now enter and fire out of bunkers.

19.0 / 23.0 Enginners / Pioneers
Engineers / Pioneers do not trigger land mine attacks, even hidden land mines.

Summary Sheet (Fortification & Defensive Counters)
The 1 AP penalty for vehicles passing other vehicles now only applies on road hexes.

EDIT: Updated rule for CAP adjustments to reflect Uwe's recent clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James,

Thank you for your list detailing the changes - this is a great help and a good overview.

Regarding point 7.3 (CAP Track Adjustment) I'd like to point out this thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/427266, that discusses the effect of the new rule when the card that gives +1D6 CAPs is or has been played.

Regards,

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han_Heinrich wrote:
Hi James,

Thank you for your list detailing the changes - this is a great help and a good overview.

Regarding point 7.3 (CAP Track Adjustment) I'd like to point out this thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/427266, that discusses the effect of the new rule when the card that gives +1D6 CAPs is or has been played.

Regards,

Artie

Yes, I would say it's much riskier now to play this card if it will push you above your maximum CAPs, unless you plan on using the CAPs right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've also tried the new rules now, and they seem to flow along nicely. I'll wait with a final verdict until I've tried more than the first scenario, though.

I have high hopes for the new game, which isn't only a good thing- I might get dissapointed! (I already know that the promised Wirbelvind (one of my favourites) won't be in the game, which is good, since it's a '44 tank)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Han_Heinrich wrote:
Hi James,

Regards,

Artie

Yes, I would say it's much riskier now to play this card if it will push you above your maximum CAPs, unless you plan on using the CAPs right away.

Hi James,

Oh my - now you got me confused. The way I read the thread (and the way we played it) was: you loose 1 CAP per casualty if your CAPs are at least at the last "free" space below your game starting CAP number. Should you have gone higher because of the +CAPs card you still only loose 1 CAP but from that (currently higher) position.
The way I read your answer means that you would always fall back to the space below the one where you put the casualty, which might result in loosing more than 1 CAP at that time.

Now how should that be played? What's the official word on that situation?

Confused,

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han_Heinrich wrote:

Now how should that be played? What's the official word on that situation?

Confused,

Artie

I think you read me correctly.

I'll give an example.

You start with 10 CAPs.
You spend a CAP, and now you have 9.
One of your units gets destroyed. Your new maximum # of CAPs is 9, but you won't lose any CAPs immediately; you still have 9 CAPs.
Now one of your units is destroyed again. Your new maximum gets dropped to 8 CAPs. Since you have more than 8 CAPs, your current total also drops down to 8 CAPs.
You play a "+1D6 CAPs" card and roll a 4; now you have 12 CAPs.
Someone destroys one of your units. Your new maximum gets dropped to 7 CAPs. Since you have more than 7 CAPs, your current total also drops down to 7 CAPs.

That's how it works. In the example, the "+1D6 CAPs" card did not really help, because of the unit getting destroyed. It is now risky to play the card if you are close to or at your starting CAP value.

This is the official way to play with the new rule. In practise, I haven't seen someone lose multiple CAPs this way; it's usually fairly easy to make sure it doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm ...

that is pretty much the opposite to what Nick Warcholak said about this rule in the other thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/427266

And IMHO your ruling is not covered by the letters of the rulebook.

So, until we get a statement from Uwe or in the FAQ Section I think we will stick with Nick's way of handling this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I'll ask Nick about it, as the document that Nick and I just created to explain the rules differences with the new ruleset gives them as I described them above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked to Uwe about it, and it seems neither Nick and I interpreted it exactly as Uwe had intended it.

Uwe's response to my question:
"James, no, these extra CAPs are not affected. Only the base CAPs. So if a player has 4 CAPs available to him, rolls for 3 more for a total of 7CAPs, then takes a hit, he only goes down to 6. This could be confusing, but again, seldom happens."

So in summary, it looks like if you have your current base maximum CAPs or more, then you immediately lose one CAP, as well as dropping your maximum base CAPs by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, James, for clearing that up. So we did play it right :-)

Regards,

Artie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Han_Heinrich wrote:
Thank you, James, for clearing that up. So we did play it right :-)

Regards,

Artie

No problem - glad to get that clarified myself! I've updated my previous post, and also updated the document that will at some point get posted on the Academy Games site as well as here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Felkor wrote:

21.0 Vehicle cover
Foot units do not need to move cautiously if entering the same hex as a friendly vehicle.

Isn't it only Infantry Squads that get vehicle cover (instead of Foot Units)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sross wrote:
Felkor wrote:

21.0 Vehicle cover
Foot units do not need to move cautiously if entering the same hex as a friendly vehicle.

Isn't it only Infantry Squads that get vehicle cover (instead of Foot Units)?

That is correct! Thanks, I'll make the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
When your unit is destroyed, you immediately place it on the CAP track, starting with your maximum CAP allowance, and working your way down. If where you place the counter is on the same or lower square as your current CAP level, lower your CAP level to just below where you placed the unit by one.
Great wording! It would be great if the rules were worded similarly in paragraph 7.3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Great wording! It would be great if the rules were worded similarly in paragraph 7.3!

Thanks!

Unfortunately that rewording came too late as the ruleset is already printed up. Perhaps in future editions it can be reworded in the manual. This will probably end up on the FAQ as I agree the original wording is somewhat confusing (as I myself misinterpreted it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.