BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Does Your Gaming Style Reflect Your Life? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always believed a game can be a sort of microcosm of life. Maybe that's too heavy a concept. Let's just say it seems to me that the way a person approaches games, or behaves while playing a game, reflects what kind of a person he is "in real life."

Of course, a game is different than real life in some ways. It's a low-risk environment, for one thing, so players can feel free to be more aggressive, or maybe even reckless. Also, a game is just for fun, so few will approach it with deadly seriousness. Still . . .

Have you noticed that your gaming life makes some kind of statement about who you are or about your life in general? Have you seen that in other players? In what ways? What have you observed?

I was inspired to ask this question by this online article I read yesterday. Pretty good read, IMO. Makes one think.

Your comments most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that comes to my mind is fear of failure. I find I'm often a little reluctant to start a game (even a solo game, but especially a face-to-face game); in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "What if I do stupid stuff and end up losing?" And that worry sometimes immobilizes me, at least for a little while. Once a game is under way, I feel a lot better. And I almost always do better than I had imagined I would.

That does reflect how I am in real life, I believe. I'm very reserved, very hesitant about initiating anything or trying anything new--especially if others are involved or will be watching. I'll procrastinate and postpone as long as I can get away with it (longer sometimes). I'll hang back and hope someone else takes the initiative and gets the ball rolling.

Actual failure in a game can devastate me--especially in a solitaire game, oddly enough. If I'm playing face-to-face with someone, I'm usually empathizing enough to be happy for their win, and that mitigates my own "agony of defeat." But if I'm playing solo on the computer or whatever, I sometimes rip myself to shreds when I lose, calling myself all kinds of disparaging names. I can't tolerate my own stupidity (but I don't seem to be able to overcome it either).

I guess that's what I'm working on as I play games. On one hand, they're just for fun and diversion. But OTOH, they're good exercises in self-discipline (among other things). I'm trying to learn how to lose gracefully, accept and benefit from failure, and grow stronger and more self-assured in a balanced way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I'm trying to learn how to lose gracefully, accept and benefit from failure, and grow stronger and more self-assured in a balanced way.

thumbsup

You can learn quite a bit about onself and others through shared experiences, in this case gaming. Early on I watched myself react in ways disturbingly unbecoming in the wake of a loss or bad move. I have since used these moments (among others) to work on perspective and self-control.

Yes I believe gaming can be a very useful tool for evaluating are response to life's challanges. Good character can be honed in any moment and I strive to be open to correction in all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.