Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Advise for the fledgling overlord - some rules questions/issues
aduclos wrote:
1-Is the XP growth meant to be as slow as it is, or am I missing something completely?

They get some conquest for killing floor leaders, and glyphs. I'm the OL in this campaign and I get conquest for killing off heroes. I also get one at the top of the game week. Is there anything else I am missing?

There are other factors, but that's the main bulk of it. Some quests give different Conquest, encounters give Conquest, razing cities give extra XP each week, etc. A dungeon will typically yield 5 or 6 Conquest for the Heroes per level (so aboug 15 to 20 XP if they go the whole way down). Usually more for the OL.

Quote:

2-Does it make sense that the heroes are able to (some not all of them) one shot some of the creatures with oodles of damage?

Yes, in the base game, when you start getting Silver and Gold treasures, you're one-shotting things all the time. In RtL, the OL can at least upgrade the creatures along the way, so they are a bit more resiliant.

Don't knock it too much until you try it. And if you're really worried, play the Sorceror King with Sniper Skeletons, you'll start one-shotting the heroes!

Quote:

3-Is it meant to be quite expensive to upgrade the heroes?

The upgrade path is pretty balanced, Heroes/OL cost is about right. The Heroes will soon learn that what they need most is Gold, so don't be too free on buying stuff. You need to save up for the upgrades.

Give it a whirl and you'll find that these are minor issues. And don't forget to get the latest FAQ and read it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Advise for the fledgling overlord - some rules questions/issues
aduclos wrote:
What are some other general strategies to get the most of the weaker enemies? I had some success spending threat on extra power dice. Other ideas?

Hmmm? Are you, as the overlord, spending threat on extra power dice? You can only do that in encounters, not in dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treachery is a big help, but even bigger than that is upgrading your monsters to Silver. Get one group to Silver ASAP, then buy some Treachery, and be *ruthless*. As OL, sometimes I find myself going easy on the adventurers, but in RtL, that's a mistake. Be as mean/evil as you can, lay traps, turn them into monkeys, etc. Focus your energies on one or two of the Heroes, constantly pounding the squishies into the ground.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
Germany
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Get one group to Silver ASAP, then buy some Treachery, and be *ruthless*.

Just an addition - you may only upgrade one group to silver, unless you reach the silver stage (where it applies to gold level).

I've read recommendation, that you should upgrade eldritch monster, as those are most common in the dungeons. So maybe that should be your choice as well, if you're concerned about your strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course, don't forget the rules (i.e. only one silver at copper campaign, etc). I'm a little torn between Eldritch and Humanoids, and I think it depends on your Avatar. Whenever I play the Titan, I always upgrade Humanoids first. Other Avatars though, Eldritch is better (especially SK). Not sure if there's good research as to why though. Maybe just your play style?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
Yes, of course, don't forget the rules (i.e. only one silver at copper campaign, etc). I'm a little torn between Eldritch and Humanoids, and I think it depends on your Avatar. Whenever I play the Titan, I always upgrade Humanoids first. Other Avatars though, Eldritch is better (especially SK). Not sure if there's good research as to why though. Maybe just your play style?

-shnar

its not only that, it also depends on the party.

I've used both beastman and skeletons to great advantage.
It IS true though, that eldritch are most numerous in dungeons, and most offer a loadout with skeletons...and i believe they have the single best improvement from copper to silver...

Life: 4=>8 +100% (5=>9)
Armor: 0=>1 +inf% (1=>2)
Range: +1=>+2 +100% (+2=>+3)
Pierce:+1=>+2 +100% (+2=>+3)

They also get 1 extra move for 6 move(and the very useful 3 there, 3 back manevour), and in dice, only add one yellow(for more range.).

In total, they are more than double as resilient and have the ability to stay FAR away from the heroes and still harass them efficiently(slightly more so than before with more pierce and possible extra damage from yellow/silver), further increasing their resilience. When they were definitive one-shots earlier, now they may occasionaly stay standing, more often than not in early copper, also due to missed range from heroes.

What that added harassment value and survivability buy you is priceless though: you can spawn more other things that will ALSO survive longer. They do work well with master beastman btw. Also, Silver Master Skeletons will make heroes curse about undying, which is always a plus.
And if you manage to pick up "legions of the dead" soon after silver eldritch, you'll have to try hard to maintain a poker face once per deck cycle as more likely than not, 2-3 heroes will be redecorated into pin cushions before your turn is over...really, if that combination of easy-to-spawn piercing harassment ranged units with some durability and speed doesn't give you a chance to catch up, let someone else try their hand at being overlord

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Play style is important.

Eldritch are the most common in dungeons. Once upgraded, they hit fairly hard and have great range. SO they are almost always useful. After Silver their upgrades are generally less useful though.

Humanoids are the hardest hitting but have one massive weakness that is never addressed in the upgrades. They are slow and are melee based, so they must get in close to the heroes. IF they can hit, they are painful, but a competent group of heroes will make life impossible for a humanoid based OL by never letting spawn spots close enough to rwach them. You don't even need to kill humanoids, just keep moving ahead of them faster they they can catch up.
I wouldn't touch humanoids with a barge pole if the party contains Kirga or Boggs.
Humanoids do have the sheer entertainment of Gold Kobolds overrunning early silver parties where bronze-equipped heroes can't hurt the wee fellows (12/2, 13/3) who mob them with RG+Swarm(+Au for the bosses). Nasty. And hilarious!

Beasts are the alrounders and dominate in the outdoors (ie Lt supports and encounters). They have something for everything - ranged, melee, special effects, speed, toughness, command, etc, but are not quite as good over the whole category at either long range damage or short range damage.
Edit: Beasts also have some of the best later upgrades. Upgraded Manticores are death machines! Upgraded Nagas have the best damage in the game.

In general, it always makes sense to upgrade your cheapest type. Your avatar will usually have some other upgrades or style options that further benefit certain monsters of that type, and even if you have a sudden leap of excess CT to blow on an 'expensive' type, you may not have the same conditions when doing your first upgrade in Silver level. You definitely want to be upgrading ASAP on every level, so choosing your cheapest type is the most sensible from a long term perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the topic of upgrades, do any of you just ignore one type of creature, or upgrade them last? For example, not upgrading Creatures until you've purchased all your other upgrades and have nothing left?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
While we're on the topic of upgrades, do any of you just ignore one type of creature, or upgrade them last? For example, not upgrading Creatures until you've purchased all your other upgrades and have nothing left?

-shnar

Yes.

In my current campaign (now 3 levels deep into the overlord's keep (an indication I have lost the campaign, though I had several rolls to win at different times and was again 1 turn away from an auto-win if the heroes didn't clear tamalir)) Beasts are Diamond, Eldritch are still bronze and Humanoids are silver (purely for the Gold Legendary dungeon, which was a waste).

I have max treachery, which saw Aldric beat down Gold heroes on Tamalir, although they had already driven off the Dragon special Lt in the same turn. I also have purchased every Lt, though a rules error saw Lady Farrow go down in bronze (very bad for me) and Merrick Farrow died to a brain explosion at setup the same turn.

Frankly, since the Diamond monsters go down with incredible ease anyway, and only the bosses and spawns ever get to attack, any points spent on boosting monsters would largely be wasted.

Campaign score before the end was 357-277 or something like that - it blew out in the last bunch of weeks going right through 2x legendary and 1x Rumour dungeons but was only around 10-15% different before that. That difference was largely due to the Dragon whatsit's extra CT from Chests.

With the score blowing out suddenly I didn't get any opportunity to spent a lot of my threat, over 50 left unspent at the end I think.

I'll lose the Avatar battle badly as I have no upgrades at all - was too tight earlier on and the heroes drew the 'kill two Avatar upgrades' Rumour immediately after I spent my threat upgrading to Diamond and did it the very next turn. The last few turns my CT was spent on desperate attempts to get my Tamalir seige through - the Dragon Lt (auto passes seige rolls, which I am very bad at), the Transport Gem to put him on Tamalir where Alric had laid up the tokens, Big Trouble to try and pull a Lost encounter to prevent the heroes from saving Tamalir (pulled a Manticore encounter which almost TPKed anyway, only one hero escaping through a gap he Telekinesised open (campaign began before Teke was removed). As it was the heroes just chased away the dragon Lt, were beaten by Alric who failed his seige roll, spent several weeks upgrading Tamalir's walls faster than Alric could tear them down then sprinted off to do the legendary dungeon and break 600 one turn before the dragon got back.
It's been tight, and fun, and I have twice forced rolls to seige Tamalir but the heroes have held on, just. Now they are coming for me and it is my turn to feel the fear...

Awesome campaign, but I sure will be glad to see the end of Telekinesis and Bear Tattoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.