designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
DOMINION (with Intrigue)

2009-07-26
Owll’s Easy Solitaire House rules ver. 2.2

There is now 2 ways to win this easy solo game:

-1) Goal: Play solitaire and try to score the most VP in a variable amount of rounds. The game end is the same.
Game ends when at the end of your turn, the Province card pile or any 3 other supply piles are empty.

-2) Goal: Same as 1 but you must also beat the Dummy. The Dummy scores all discarded VP cards Plus half of any Green VP Kingdom cards in its discard Dummy pile. Gardens score for the number of cards in the Dummy discard pile. The game end is the same. Game ends when at the end of your turn, the Province card pile or any 3 other supply piles are empty.

1- Set up:
a) Place only 5 cards in each chosen 10 kingdom piles. Take the other 5 cards from all those chosen Kingdoms (50) and mix them in one face-down deck. It will be the Dummy player deck.
b) Play with supply piles of 8 Estate cards, 8 Duchy cards, 9 Province cards, 5 Curse cards.
c) If you use any Green Victory point cards as Kingdom cards, place 5 cards in the Kingdom pile and 4 in the Dummy player’s deck; there will now be less than 50 cards in the Dummy deck.
d) Above the 3 VP supply piles, there will be a VP discard pile. Below the 3 VP supply piles, there will be a Challenge VP slot in which you place one of the starting 1 VP Estate card. During the Clean up phase, the card in the Challenge VP slot will be discarded into the VP discard pile if still present.

2- Play is the same except for:
a) Before you choose your action, you draw the top card from the Dummy deck and match its card by picking up the same card from the Kingdoms and discarding the 2 cards in the Dummy discard pile; if the Kingdom pile for the Dummy card is empty, you set it aside with no effect and draw another, match it and discard these. Most discarded cards have no consequence but the effect of any following interactive card will take effect immediately as the following:

- Bureaucrat: the Dummy draw another card and match it unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber
- Council Room: you draw a card, and the Dummy gains the Challenge VP card in its discard deck.
- Militia: discard your hand to 3 cards unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber
- Minion: If you have at least 5 cards in hand, you discard your hand and draw 4 cards unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber
- Saboteur: You must execute the card on yourself unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber.
- Spy: Discard your top deck card if it’s not a VP or 1 Copper card unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber
- Swindler: You do not collect the + 2 coins; you choose the card but it cannot be the same card as the one you trashed.
- Thief: Reveals your top 2 cards from your deck and trash the highest Treasure card (discard the other one) unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber
- Torturer: You must execute the card on yourself unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber. The Dummy do not pick any card.
- Witch: You gain a Curse unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber. The Dummy do not pick any card.

b) PLAY as normal except for these interactive cards:

- Bureaucrat: you gain a silver card and put it on your deck; pick the top card from the Dummy discard pile and place it on its respective Kingdom supply pile.
- Council Room: Discard an Action card after drawing your cards.
- Masquerade: After picking your 2 cards, you MUST trash a card from your hand.
- Militia: you place the Challenge VP card back into its face up VP supply pile.
- Minion: The Dummy is unaffected.
- Saboteur: Look at the Dummy discarded pile and place back any one card on its Kingdom supply pile
- Spy: Reveal and execute this action on your top 2 cards from your deck
- Swindler: Reveal the top card from the Dummy deck and place back any one card of the same value from its discarded pile on its Kingdom supply pile.
- Thief: you draw the top card from the Dummy deck and gain a Treasure card with a cost equal or less than the cost of the card. Discard that card into the Dummy discard pile without matching it.
- Torturer: After picking your 3 cards, you apply the Witch or the Militia action.
- Tribute: Use the Dummy deck to discard 2 cards: cost of the card is 2-3: + 2 coins, cost of the card is 4: + 2 cards, cost of the card is 5-6: + 2 actions
- Witch: you may trash 1 Estate card from your hand and if you do you gain 1 Duchy card from the Discard VP pile if there is one. If there is no Duchy card available, you may still trash the Estate card.
OR the Dummy discard deck gains a Curse card.

c) During the turn, if you want to gain a VP card, you may gain the Challenge VP card or any other available VP card. Because the Challenge VP card will be discarded at the end of the Turn, it is advisable to gain that one if possible so as you can keep the highest number of rounds.

d) During the Clean up phase, you discard the Challenge VP card into the VP discard pile if it was not acquired. Then, you pick another VP card and place it into the Challenge VP slot for the next turn. First, you draw from the Estate pile until its empty, and then you alternate with the Duchy and Province piles until the end of the game starting with a Duchy card.

We tried many combinations, trying to enhance the need of the pick of an Estate, the necessity to pick the current Challenge card or to delay the Province pile to maximize your number of turns not knowing if a Kingdom pile would go empty. We tried to balance the new Intrigue cards with the original ones. Your score will vary greatly with different Kingdom cards but it is a good way to familiarize yourself with the cards.

That’s it!
There is a word doc. for easy printing in the file section.

Happy gaming!

Owll

Solo game: RECORD: 42 VP to Dummy 41 VP in 25 turns

ALSO suggested for regular play:

- The number of Kingdom cards for 2/3/4 players are: 6/8/10
- Each player has the same number of turns.

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porran
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a few games against the dummy - nice and simple once you get the hang of it, and the games are pretty close (at worst I've lost by 2, and at best won by 5). Good work!

I'd like to request a couple of clarifications, though:

1) Is the Council Room's additional requirement to "discard an action card" meant to be played before or after the draw? If before, am I allowed to play the Council Room if I do not have another action card to discard?

2) May I gain the Challenge VP card in ways other than buying it? For instance, I hold a Remodel and a Silver, and there is a Duchy in the Challenge VP slot. May I Remodel the Silver into that Duchy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Thanks for your interest...

The next step will be to rate odds or something like that for different card combinations to avoid repetitive plays against the Dummy. It would be challenging. Maybe starting with the combinations mentioned in the rules...

As for your questions:

1) Yes, you pick your cards before discarding an action card. Throne room and repeat is possible.

2) Yes, you can gain any VP cards in all possible ways just like in the rules. I should have written "gain" instead of "buying". You can do your Remodeling.

It is not easy to write clearly the exact application of rules as when you playtest them, they become obvious for me but not for a reader.

Thanks for the feedback...

I will edit the rules for clarity.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have two questions regarding your ver.2.2 of your solitary variant.

1. In the Dummy phase, when you say "You do not pick cards" for the Witch and the Torturer, what do you mean ? You don't pick a card from the Kingdoms to be discarded with the card the Dummy played ? You only apply it's effect and discard the one card which comes from the Dummy deck ?

2. When you use a Secret Chamber to react to an attack of the Dummy, it works like a Moat and prevents the attack from taking effect. Do we still have its normal reaction effect, which is to draw two cards and replace two on our deck, or is it to be considered as having been replaced by the full protection of the Moat effect (which is what I suppose is the correct understanding) ?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!

I have a question about the rules.
You wrote that we can pick the challenged card in order to slow the game down, because if not, it will be discarded.
How come that can slow the game down as the card as been taken anyway, and a new victory point will be put anyway in the next challenge stack?

Also, why this special rule for masquarade? The card is now much worse than chapel for instance and probably useless but still expensive.

thanks a lot for this solo variant, I haven't got the time to test it yet but I will very soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday.

Question 1 : This only concerns the Dummy playing and I should have written: "The Dummy ignores the + cards as you only apply the text to yourself" or simply not mention anything like it was in ver.2.1. I will edit the rules. Thanks.

Question 2: this card is not mentionned in the rules for the Dummy, so this Dummy card has no effect; the player playing this card plays it normally and yes, you execute the text.

Thanks for the feedback

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:

You wrote that we can pick the challenged card in order to slow the game down, because if not, it will be discarded.
How come that can slow the game down as the card as been taken anyway, and a new victory point will be put anyway in the next challenge stack?

Well, yes you can slow down the game by adding more turns to it.
If you take a challenge VP card instead of another VP card in its VP pile, the total VP cards will be reduced by one card: that card. If you do not take the challenge VP card and choose another VP card, the total VP cards will be reduced by two cards and consequently there will be one less turn. Of course, if you do not or choose not to buy any VP card such at the beginning of a game, it does not make a difference, only at the end can it make a difference.

chaps357 wrote:

Also, why this special rule for masquarade? The card is now much worse than chapel for instance and probably useless but still expensive.

Well maybe, you forget that first, you pick your 2 cards. By not exchanging a card because there is no other player, you forfeit the obligation to have a bad card to pass. The "must" corrects that. Maybe I should have pointed that the +2 cards is in effect.
Not easy to write clear rules when you playtest so much that it becomes natural to our group to play the cards.
I will edit for clarity.

Thanks for the feedback

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
owll wrote:
chaps357 wrote:

Well, yes you can slow down the game by adding more turns to it.
If you take a challenge VP card instead of another VP card in its VP pile, the total VP cards will be reduced by one card: that card. If you do not take the challenge VP card and choose another VP card, the total VP cards will be reduced by two cards and consequently there will be one less turn. Of course, if you do not or choose not to buy any VP card such at the beginning of a game, it does not make a difference, only at the end can it make a difference.

Haha of course you are right... Silly me

Owll[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
Question 2: this card is not mentionned in the rules for the Dummy, so this Dummy card has no effect; the player playing this card plays it normally and yes, you execute the text.

You usually say for attack cards in the dummy phase "do this unless you have a Moat or Secret Chamber", but the Secret Chamber doesn't prevent the attack card's effect from taking place, does it ?
That's why I thought that the Secret Chamber was to be used as a Moat.

Therefore I'm a bit confused with your answer when you say that the player playing the card plays it normally and executes the text.

Let's have an example : The Dummy card is a Witch, and I have a Secret Chamber in my hand. I play it. In a normal game, I would draw two cards, put two cards back on the deck... and obtain a Curse nonetheless.
What does happen precisely in the solo game ?

And about my feedback, you're welcome
I find this solo variant very well done and very interesting to play (for people enjoying solo games, that is). My only concern is for the work needed to prepare the dummy deck, and the sorting of the dummy deck and discard at the end of the game.
So thanx again for upgrading this with the expansions. I made a french translation of it, if you're interested in publishing it with your file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be that late...must of miss that one.

Well originally, we had decided to make this card a super Moat because there were a lot of attack cards that made the game too difficult to counter the Dummy victory because in the original solo Dominion, you did not have to beat the Dummy, just score VP and see the result.
But,you are not the only one seeking justice for the Moat and among our
group there were many who did not like the change... After debating that, we did change our mind about it and I will edit the rules so as:

"As an action, play the secret chamber normally."
"As a reaction against the Dummy who draws an attack card, play the secret chamber normally."

Thanks again

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Secret Chamber now stands corrected.

DOMINION (with Intrigue)

2009-10-27
Owll’s Easy Solitaire House rules ver. 2.3

There is now 2 ways to win this easy solo game:

-1) Goal: Play solitaire and try to score the most VP in a variable amount of rounds. The game end is the same.
Game ends when at the end of your turn, the Province card pile or any 3 other supply piles are empty.

-2) Goal: Same as 1 but you must also beat the Dummy. The Dummy scores all discarded VP cards Plus Half of any Green VP Kingdom cards in its discard Dummy pile. Gardens score for the number of cards in the Dummy discard pile. The game end is the same. Game ends when at the end of your turn, the Province card pile or any 3 other supply piles are empty.

1- Set up:
a) Place only 5 cards in each chosen 10 kingdom piles. Take the other 5 cards from all those chosen Kingdoms (50) and mix them in one face-down deck. It will be the Dummy player deck.
b) Play with supply piles of 8 Estate cards, 8 Duchy cards, 9 Province cards, 5 Curse cards.
c) If you use any Green Victory point cards as Kingdom cards, place 5 cards in the Kingdom pile and 4 in the Dummy player’s deck; there will now be less than 50 cards in the Dummy deck.
d) Above the 3 VP supply piles, there will be a VP discard pile. Below the 3 VP supply piles, there will be a Challenge VP slot in which you place one of the starting 1 VP Estate card. During the Clean up phase, the card in the Challenge VP slot will be discarded into the VP discard pile if still present.

2- Play is the same except for:
a) Before the Action Phase of your turn, you draw the top card from the Dummy deck and match its card by picking up the same card from the Kingdoms and discarding the 2 cards in the Dummy discard pile; if the Kingdom pile for the Dummy card is empty, you set it aside with no effect and draw another, match it and discard these. Most discarded cards have no consequence but the effect of any following interactive card will take effect immediately as the following:

- Bureaucrat: the Dummy draw another card and match it unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Council Room: you draw a card, and the Dummy gains the Challenge VP card in its discard deck.
- Militia: discard your hand to 3 cards unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Minion: If you have at least 5 cards in hand, you discard your hand and draw 4 cards unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Saboteur: You must execute the card on yourself unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Spy: Discard your top deck card if it’s not a VP or 1 Copper card unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Swindler: the Dummy do not collect the + 2 coins of course; you choose the card to be gained but it cannot be the same card as the one you trashed. The Swindler attack is cancelled if you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Thief: Reveals your top 2 cards from your deck and trash the highest Treasure card (discard the other one) unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Torturer: The Dummy do not pick any card of course. You must execute the card on yourself unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.
- Witch: The Dummy do not pick any card of course. You gain a Curse unless you have a Moat. You can execute the Secret Chamber reaction if you have one in your hands.

b) PLAY as normal except for these interactive cards:

- Bureaucrat: you gain a silver card and put it on your deck; pick the top card from the Dummy discard pile and place it on its respective Kingdom supply pile.
- Council Room: Discard an Action card after drawing your cards.
- Masquerade: After picking your 2 cards, you MUST trash a card from your hand.
- Militia: you place the Challenge VP card back into its face up VP supply pile.
- Minion: The Dummy is unaffected.
- Saboteur: Look at the Dummy discarded pile and place back any one card on its Kingdom supply pile.
- Spy: Reveal and execute this action on your top 2 cards from your deck
- Swindler: Reveal the top card from the Dummy deck and place back any one card of the same value from its discarded pile on its Kingdom supply pile.
- Thief: you draw the top card from the Dummy deck and gain a Treasure card with a cost equal or less than the cost of the card. Discard that card into the Dummy discard pile without matching it.
- Torturer: After picking your 3 cards, you apply the Witch or the Militia action.
- Tribute: Use the Dummy deck to discard 2 cards: cost of the card is 2-3: + 2 coins, cost of the card is 4: + 2 cards, cost of the card is 5-6: + 2 actions
- Witch: you may trash 1 Estate card from your hand and if you do you gain 1 Duchy card from the Discard VP pile if there is one. If there is no Duchy card available, you may still trash the Estate card.
OR the Dummy discard deck gains a Curse card.

c) During the turn, if you want to gain a VP card, you may gain the Challenge VP card or any other available VP card. Because the Challenge VP card will be discarded at the end of the Turn, it is advisable to gain that one if possible so as you can keep the highest number of rounds.

d) During the Clean up phase, you discard the Challenge VP card into the VP discard pile if it was not acquired. Then, you pick another VP card and place it into the Challenge VP slot for the next turn. First, you draw from the Estate pile until its empty, and then you alternate with the Duchy and Province piles until the end of the game starting with a Duchy card.

We tried many combinations, trying to enhance the need of the pick of an Estate, the necessity to pick the current Challenge card or to delay the Province pile to maximize your number of turns not knowing if a Kingdom pile would go empty. We tried to balance the new Intrigue cards with the original ones. Your score will vary greatly with different Kingdom cards but it is a good way to familiarize yourself with the cards.

That’s it!
There is a word doc. for easy printing in the file section.

Happy gaming!

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
- Spy: Discard your top deck card if it’s not a VP or 1 Copper card....

Hi !!
back to gaming again

what happens if the top deck card is a Curse and not VP or Copper???
(unless Curse is a negative VP !!! :)) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.