United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My eldest daughter Jade is five years old and is obsessed with reading. Specifically, she can't get enough of the various fairie books by Daisy Meadows and reads them at a pace of about one a day, including for about an hour or so after we put her to bed.

Last night at 9pm she came downstairs because she had to tell me something.

"Daddy, I realized that jewel fairies aren't real."
"Why not?"
"Well, you know what the power of the sapphire fairy is?"
"No, what is it?"
"She makes wishes come true. If she was real, my wishes would all come true. Well, most of my wishes don't come true. So she can't be real."
"So you don't think fairies are real, since if they were your wishes would come true?"
"No, Daddy...jewel fairies aren't real. Fairies are real, just not jewel fairies."

With that clarified, she went back to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
My eldest daughter Jade is five years old and is obsessed with reading. Specifically, she can't get enough of the various fairie books by Daisy Meadows and reads them at a pace of about one a day, including for about an hour or so after we put her to bed.

Last night at 9pm she came downstairs because she had to tell me something.

"Daddy, I realized that jewel fairies aren't real."
"Why not?"
"Well, you know what the power of the sapphire fairy is?"
"No, what is it?"
"She makes wishes come true. If she was real, my wishes would all come true. Well, most of my wishes don't come true. So she can't be real."
"So you don't think fairies are real, since if they were your wishes would come true?"
"No, Daddy...jewel fairies aren't real. Fairies are real, just not jewel fairies."

With that clarified, she went back to bed.

"Proof by example" is not a valid proof technique for a universally quantified statement. Your daughter already recognizes that. Quite impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She was also able to apply modus tollens correctly.

Not that I'm proud, or anything. Naw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
She was also able to apply modus tollens correctly.

Not that I'm proud, or anything. Naw.

Your wish came true with her, Chad.

So Jewel Fairies ARE Real!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Your wish came true with her, Chad.

Awwwwww!!!!

I'm going to have to tell Trish you said that. Even money she cries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I was errmmm... ... "busy" with the Sapphire Fairy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll know she's reading RSP when she claims that jewel faeries exist even though they don't use their powers in the physical world, because the concept itself is real, and the concept itself can affect people's thoughts and actions anyway.

If nobody goes into a cave because they think a dragon lives there, does it really matter if the dragon really lives there or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If nobody goes into a cave because they think a dragon lives there, does it really matter if the dragon really lives there or not?

Yes. It really does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Yes. It really does.

It matters to the dragon.

My younger daughter, if she heard this, would probably say, "The dragon is sad. No one comes to visit it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Yes. It really does.

It matters to the dragon.

My younger daughter, if she heard this, would probably say, "The dragon is sad. No one comes to visit it."

He's only sad because his tummy hurts. He's hungry.....!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
"She makes wishes come true. If she was real, my wishes would all come true. Well, most of my wishes don't come true..."

One of Jade's wishes was for fairy wings to grow out of her back. She spent several weeks working on this wish, including doing exercises to help them grow and paying very careful attention to any itches she got near her shoulderblades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
"She makes wishes come true. If she was real, my wishes would all come true. Well, most of my wishes don't come true..."

One of Jade's wishes was for fairy wings to grow out of her back. She spent several weeks working on this wish, including doing exercises to help them grow and paying very careful attention to any itches she got near her shoulderblades.

That is the best thing about kids...their imaginations. Sadly, many adults have long lost theirs.

If you can find a group of people with good imaginations, it will be some of the best boardgaming ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

surprise

That is the cutest thing I've ever frickin' heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. Are all jewel fairies sapphire fairies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

No. One could certainly argue that she went too far in dismissing the existence of the other jewel fairies. However, since the series makes it clear that all of the jewel fairies exist together, the disproof of one certainly justifies skepticism about the others.

Sort of like how we know that since the Noachian Flood is false, the whole of Christianity must be false. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Sort of like how we know that since the Noachian Flood is false, the whole of Christianity must be false. whistle

Fortunately it is true. We even have geological proof of it!robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
quozl wrote:

No. One could certainly argue that she went too far in dismissing the existence of the other jewel fairies. However, since the series makes it clear that all of the jewel fairies exist together, the disproof of one certainly justifies skepticism about the others.

Poor little misguided girl. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looks like it's about time to have that special chat with your daughter. You know, the one about flowers, and bees, and how embracing an empirical epistemology precludes us from truly answering metaphysical questions, which are only a construct of language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
WTF is a jewel fairy?

http://www.amazon.com/India-Moonstone-Fairy-Rainbow-Fairies/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Why I would be a bad parent:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

"Well, she does not make all wishes true, so she might just ignore your wishes because she doesn't like you..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.