Subject: Anyone Realmin Lately rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I do my MR playing in the fall. I've been wanting to break it out lately but Arabian Nights keeps me distracted. So what I'm really wondering is....am I the only one trolling the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Yuengling12oz wrote:
So what I'm really wondering is....am I the only one trolling the board?

Hey Randy,

If I'm online and BGG is up, I always check out the Magic Realm page. Game On!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Myers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
2 or 3 of us are playing in the online tourney as of late. However, here's a neat solo story to generate dialogue:

I was playing the Swordsman, with 2 points in gold and 2 F and 1 Not. Unfortuantely the map had "civilization" seperated by caves from the "wilds". I soon found out there were no treasure in those caves, and knew I'd never complete a trek through them and back in time to make the cash I needed. But I did find the hoard in the deep woods on the other side of the cave complex. And I looted the dragon essence and book of lore. I freed up some spells (without any curses!) and soon had a Fiery Blast (speed 0), which I used to blast everything that came my way, running from anything that lived. Victory (plus some extra) was mine!

As I had planned it all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing RealmSpeak at work when no-one's looking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris wich
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, it's been quiet here lately. Nothing to lurk in on. Maybe I'll try the mailing list for the first time, and maybe even get in on one of those BIMR games the next time one starts up. I'm a relative beginner so a game for beginners is what I'm seeking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get a solo win for each character in Realmspeak, I'm playing with the Druid now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
GeorgeHa wrote:
I'm trying to get a solo win for each character in Realmspeak

A noble undertaking. Best of luck to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:
GeorgeHa wrote:
I'm trying to get a solo win for each character in Realmspeak

A noble undertaking. Best of luck to you.

It's a good way to explore the harder characters, and learn the trickier things like Magic and Natives.

Sunday knocked off a solo win for the Druid, though it took two months to get 24 points. By the end of the first month I had a slew of treasure, including the Magic Wand (great for sending all curses to Disgust, which can be remedied by one spell). After getting Dragon Essence and the DragonFang necklace, it was easy to pit one Tremendous Dragon against two Heavy Flying Dragons and rack up points.

The Dwarf is up next, he should be an easy win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have gotten a one month victory for every character except the Wizard and the Swordsman. The Elf took me two months to get 24 points. I can't even get the Wizard or Swordsman started. I play with all normal rules, with added ambush, caching, watchful natives, and the two knights ally modifiers.

Druid can be silly, I won a game with him without even leaving the clearing he started in. I chose all gold, and would just hide, use Stones Fly on the native leader, loot, sell and repeat. Sorta cheap, but hes one of the best characters to do this with, because of his natural one die hide roll. Just hope you don't miss a hide roll, or its game over! I had to sacrifice a workhorse one battle to survive.

Turns out killing the rouge leader is a really good choice to let the Druid be able to carry around all those heavy treasures from the begining of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Swordsman was my first character and I spent much time learning the game playing with him so I have quite a few victories with this character. But you have to have some luck with your treasures, as I see him mainly as a burgler.
My last game (and win) with the Swordsman (it's been a while) was an epic tale that even saw him using the Alchemist Powder to kill a huge monster and escape certain death.

On the other hand, there are characters who are considered easy for beginners that I struggle with. For example the Amazon. And I never seem to achieve anything worthwhile with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
... On the other hand, there are characters who are considered easy for beginners that I struggle with. For example the Amazon. And I never seem to achieve anything worthwhile with her.

I may be responsible for starting the rumor that the Amazon is an easy character for beginners to win with. I included the Amazon in the group of characters that were easy for beginners to play, but when I tried to create a demo RealmSpeak episode with the Amazon, it took me an embarrassingly large number of tries to get a victory.

The problem is that the Amazon becomes a viable solo character only after she is able to upgrade her weapon by getting an M or M* weapon. It turns out that without creating an alliance with a character who is friendly with the Guard and can buy a Small Ax for her (the Dwarf or Wizard, for example), it can be very frustrating waiting around the Chapel or the Campfires for the Lancers to show up and bargining to buy a Spear.

So a more accurate statement would be that the Amazon is an easy character for beginners to play and survive, but *not* necessarily an easy character to win with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished wins with the Dwarf and the Elf, the Elf took a while, I kept surviving but not quite winning, until I racked up a 23 point win, in one month. I'm using the Elf adjustment, without it he's way too powerful, the L2* and the M chits gives him too much. The Great Elf is easy to play as an ambusher treasure seeker, with one point in Great Treasures, and two in Fame and Notoriety. Pick Control Bats, don't bother learning spells and he should be good to go.

Next up is solo Magician, which should be a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just got a win with the Wizard, used similar strategy as the Druid. I put 2 victory points in fame and notoriety, and 1 in gold. First day I enchant the inn tile with my purple IV, hide, and alert my II4*. Then if I manage to make the hide roll (if not, its instant death), I use stones fly on the leader, loot the inn, then take that to the soldiers, and hire them up to rack up some points. Goblins are nice cause the wizard can blast them and fight them along with the soldiers, he doesn't just have to sit around. Usually I try and go back to the inn and finish the job with the rouges. This strategy is suprisingly reliable if the inn and house are not separated by a too dangerous of a path. Stones Fly is an excellent assassination weapon, with 4 attacks on only a single hide roll.

So that just leaves the swordsman. I find he doesn't have a lot of options solo play, his one ability is completely useless without other leaders around. He can't fight many monsters due to strength and speed. He can't fight natives because of watchful natives. I read a post about how swordsman got nerfed the most by them. Looks like the survey people agree he has the least amount of options. Really all he can do is loot, but really the druid and elf can do the same thing and then some with their L2 move chits. Without peace with nature the swordsman will have to get super lucky without other players to antagonize.

I have a suggestion about how to tweak watchful natives though. Instead of having targeting a native pull them all onto your sheet, maybe have it so they only pull to your sheet if you were not hidden when the targeting took place. Then obviously targeting multiple natives would pull them to your sheet reguardless. Also I would suggest that their inventory would get passed to the next native in line, so you would have to kill all of them to loot freely. Maybe if you kill the leader, you would get one loot roll before the stack passed (still would require the native leader to be present to trade, and hiring a single native would pass it to the party as well. And if its the last native to be hired, then maybe have it pass to the clearing for looting).

One of the main problems with natives before watchful natives is that you wouldn't even need to bother hiding to get a free attack, if they didn't feel like battling you. And getting to target groups of them and running away.

With this hidden exception, it would still take a week to kill all of a group this way, and you only get one kill at a time. Also you would have to make sure you can run and hope certain characters don't flip. Then the swordsman would actually have people to use those fancy L2** and M3** chits on! The only other times he could use it is against wolfs and goblins, both of which are impossible for him to fight without killing one at a time. With the ogers he doesnt even have to use it, he can just use his L4 or L3* in case they flip. Then with the bats his M3** is totally useless. The spiders he can make use of it if they flip, and he gets a chance to kill that silly imp if he flips.

So creatures the swordsman can undercut: Wolfs, ogres, goblins, imp (if he flips), spiders (if they flip) none of which are worth much to go though the trouble and risk of killing.

*Edit: Also of note if fighting a single spider, swordsman can cover his manuver, so hes safe in that instance too. Spiders may be the best thing for him to fight.

Also he may be able to get away with hiring 4 rouges (making sure to hire each for 2 gold, then getting the archer), and turning around to fight the rest of them. He can also use them to fight the patrol, but traveling with them might be a bad idea, since you can't run away anymore, which is really all the swordsman has going for him in solo game. He really isn't capable of hiring anyone else till he gets some treasure, which is always a crap shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ok, so it's a tricky strategy, but if you first hire 4 rouges, then hope the patrol lays off for long enough for you to kill the remaining rouges, (not so easy, you need a price x 2 four times to get all 4) you can loot their stuff, then use that money to hire the company and rack up some points from there. This game I actually killed the patrol and remaining 4 rouges all in one combat (didn't need to start fighting the rouges till after the patrol was dead). I got super lucky and didn't lose a single rouge to the patrol. Lost all but one to the remaining rouges. For this game the rouges actually respawned, so I was able to hire an army of the company and pretty much every rouge except one beserker. I then started hitting the rest of the dwellings (not the chapel ofcourse). Doing in the Guard and Soldiers was easy with my army. So I was able to win in one month with 1 for treasures, 2 for notoriety, and 2 for gold.

I guess I might be too easy if you could ambush natives, even if using my suggestion of only from hiding. It would make it super easy to hire 3 rouges and then pick one or two off and easily finish the job, then looting for plenty of money to get the whole company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcknight wrote:
I may be responsible for starting the rumor that the Amazon is an easy character for beginners to win with.

Steve, that may very well be as I remember reading your guides with great interest. (I must say they've been very helpful so thank you for that).
Now that I think more about it, it is true that you were mentioning the importance of getting another weapon for the amazon or that she was more suited to be part of a team (with the dwarf, for example).

GeorgeHa wrote:
Next up is solo Magician, which should be a challenge.

If I remember correctly, he's the one who can't cast a spell by himself at the begining of the game, having all of his chits being different colours, so a challenge sounds like an understatement.

BananaForSale wrote:
Spiders may be the best thing for him to fight.

That has been my experience as well. They're not worth chasing down but are a welcome encounter if you run into them.
I've killed other things on occasion, like Ghosts, but there was always some kind of risk involved, which should be avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
If I remember correctly, he's the one who can't cast a spell by himself at the begining of the game, having all of his chits being different colours

He can cast spells at the beginning of the game, you just have to choose the right ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
Magician is awesome, hes like my favorite character at he moment. I usually take peace with nature, transform, and remedy. All castable from the begining of the game.

The idea is to find single large monsters and get some fame/notoriety from (by using transform, and then having your rouges gang up on the result). Peace with nature keeps you from being over run by groups of monsters, and you get to activate it after you see the die roll, which is a big plus. I usually pick one point in everything just to give the adventure some variety. Remedy helps when you try and learn some spells.

Plus if you are feeling lucky, you can take stones fly and transform, and on the end of the first week enchant the Orders valley tile (V4** with day supplied black magic) then from hiding transform the lead order, and use an alerted stones fly on him. Two hide rolls needed for easy victory.

Here's an interesting way to win with the Witch King: Put all 5 points in notoriety. Take absorb essence and 3 transforms (thats right, 3 of them). Then absorb something like a tremendous giant or tremendous dragon. Hire a single rouge, just in case. Transform every order except order 2. Once they are transformed, have the rouge pull order 2, and trigger your absorb essence. You should undercut, giving you a sure victory against the last order next round. Then let the rouge sit back, and finish off the harmless woodland creatures (if none of them turned into a dragon that is). You will end up with 120 notoriety, and any money you spent on the rouge will be gotten back from killing them. Also if you don't want to risk getting 3 hide rolls in a row, you can pull last 2 orders with the rouge in case your third hide roll fails. Then you just have to hope that the last order 2 doesn't hit you that first round that you are picking him up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Mallard
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Amazon:

The Amazon is one of the few characters who can take the spear goblins or the ax goblins right from the get go. It leaves her badly beaten up, but she can do it. That's 21 F and 21 N (enough for 3 VP's worth), and goblins are ubiquitous enough that your are bound to find some someplace.

Get the other 2 VP's worth of points someplace else.

Swordsman:
Two things to try.

Hire the 1st three rogues (you can do it with 2 ... with some risk). Use them to tackle the Patrol. Use two to keep P1 & P2 occupied (make sure they don't do any damage though). PHQ is the dangerous one (being able to undercut and kill), use your longer reach swords to undercut/kill his horse ... followed by a slower kill of the rider (done by the Swordsman himself). With the Patrol loot, use it to finance the remainder of your game.

Another thing to try. Sell your sword to the rogues and hire the first 4. Wait one round of combat and then tackle the remaining rogues. The swordsman can take RHQ and your hired lackey's can usually take the remainder (keyword: usually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.