Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it particularly matters, but I'm turning 20 on Monday, August 2nd. My fiancee says she has some gifts for me, though I don't expect them to be board games, as she usually likes finding more creative presents, rather than just looking at my wishlist and going 'okay, that ones looks cool'. My friend has already stated he'll buy me Vegas Showdown (which is #1 on my Wishlist right now) and I'm really having an urge to buy another game.

I'm just not sure what...

The last time I organized my Hot 10, Carcassone and Settlers both ended up pretty high. However, one of our gaming group already owns both of those. Unfortunately, he lives 3 hours away so he doesn't come up often, but I would probably not want to buy either of those just yet.

I feel like I'm stuck between the next 4 on my Hot 10, which are Tigris & Euphrates, Acquire, Dominion, and Agricola. I know my collection isn't much to marvel at, or try to compare to, but heck, just give me your personal opinion on which you'd pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting a game collection I'd pick Dominion or Agricola. Dominion is the lighter and shorter of the two, and is easy to teach others. If you get Agricola online, see if you can get it from a store that sells 'animeeples', and pick up a set of those also. They add a lot of flavor to the game.

The reason why I picked those two is that they're fun and make good family games. Tigris & Euphrates is dryer, more chess-like. For me Acquire is fun, but Agricola and Dominion are higher on my list, and I think that they'd be more enjoyable for casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those games but I would also give the nod to Agricola or Dominion.

Both of these games are pretty easy to teach and have been enjoyed by all who have played them in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go wrong with Dominion. Go with Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you mention, I'd go with Dominion...it's plays quickly, it's easy to teach, and if you play with casual gamers, I think it'd definitely be easier on them. I personally rank Agricola just a tad higher, but the learning curve is a bit steeper...if you and your group prefer heavier games, then it'd probably be a good choice as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you like playing Pandemic solo. You can play Agricola solo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you don't mind rolling some dice. Have you looked into Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're getting a nice range of responses.

Unless you come from a CCG background, I think Dominion is a fine suggestion, and definitely the most accessible of all the items on your Hot 10.

autumnweave wrote:
If you're just starting a game collection I'd pick Dominion or Agricola. Dominion is the lighter and shorter of the two, and is easy to teach others. If you get Agricola online, see if you can get it from a store that sells 'animeeples', and pick up a set of those also. They add a lot of flavor to the game.

The reason why I picked those two is that they're fun and make good family games. Tigris & Euphrates is dryer, more chess-like. For me Acquire is fun, but Agricola and Dominion are higher on my list, and I think that they'd be more enjoyable for casual gamers.

I isolate autumnweave's selections because, for what it's worth, I've had something of an opposite experience with these games. I have long loved Acquire, as I find it tense, scalable, and smooth. I think that Tigris and Euphrates is a few degrees more aggressive than other Euros, and it shares some similar tensions with Acquire, as well as something of a sense of timelessness. Also, I think the new version is pretty palatable, which is something people have had trouble with with past versions.

On the other hand--and this is clearly not the popular opinion on the BGG of 2009--I didn't much like Agricola. I found it restrictive, with so many options on the board that I was isolated from. You get a big system in the box, so I'm sure there's a better formula in there for me (like Le Havre), but I'll be fine not playing again. Similarly, while I think Dominion is a fine game, given your sensibilities you might find a bit more to like in Everyone's Former Favorite Card Game,Race for the Galaxy, though you'd lose some of your accessibility in that decision.

Also, to veer a bit farther afield from the top half of your Hot 10, I think RRT is just great, and would likely hit a sweet spot with you. Hope it's not presumptuous to say that you seem like something of an omnigamer--and mostly I say that because you and I seem to have some similar taste. So I might also suggest a personal favorite, Fury of Dracula (second edition); perhaps a good two-player game from the Kosmos series (like Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation or one of the other stand-bys like Lost Cities or Jambo); a different approach like 1960: The Making of the President; another heavy AT game like Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Okay, so sorry for complicating the matter.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick Acquire. And I think you'll love Vegas Showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the suggestions. I ended up with 3 new games - Agricola, Vegas Showdown, and Tigris and Euphrates, which we played each of a few times this weekend.

Also got to try out the prototype for a game I'm working on, so 4 new games for my birthday weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.