England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I'm researching them, I can see that wheels are actually pretty
high-tech. A slice across a tree trunk is apparently not strong enough to bear any significant weight; you have to slice the tree lengthways to get the right grain. Once you've done that, a wheeled vehicle is actually pretty useless unless you are (a) carring a lot of weight (=> trade), and (b) have a flat surface to travel on (=> roads, in most locations). Modern man apparently arose 150,000 years ago, but wheels only around 5,000 BC.

So, a bit of fun... the fantasy past has taken to the air - winged sprites, perhaps? Flying carpets? Riding pterodactyls or dragons? Up to you. The steampunk past, they invented the square wheel. See link below:

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/pages/puzzlezone/muse/muse...

... of couse, that means all the roads are specially shaped, but it almost makes sense. Improved road holding, built-in drainage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads for square wheels would need to be paved or masoned, since dirt wouldn't hold the required shape well. That would make them expensive. Also, turning would be problematic. The roads would be more like railroads than general-purpose roads. Just imagine the complexity of building a square-wheel parking lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Roads for square wheels would need to be paved or masoned, since dirt wouldn't hold the required shape well. That would make them expensive.

Could well be. The steampunk timeline did most things the hard way.

Quote:
Also, turning would be problematic.

Merely very uncomfortable, I suspect

Quote:
The roads would be more like railroads than general-purpose roads. Just imagine the complexity of building a square-wheel parking lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.