Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant I came up when trying to figure out a way for cylon player to be able to mess up things earlier in game. This variant (or slight alternation) works with any number of players and should go pretty fine for any existing variant too.

Here's the system:

When creating the Destiny deck, do as follows the first time:
1) Instead of taking 10 cards (2 each color), take 15 cards (3 each color)
2) Shuffle these 15 cards
3) Put 5 random cards next to Destiny Deck (let's call this Wait Deck, this is not touched in the game from now on - not until a new Destiny Deck will be formed. See below)
4) The remaining 10 cards will be the Destiny deck.

For future Destiny Deck creations, do the following:
1) When the 10 cards from the Destiny Deck are used, take 10 new skill cards (2 each color) as normally
2) Add the 5 from the Wait Deck so that you now have 15 cards
3) Shuffle the 15 cards
4) Put 5 random cards next to Destiny Deck to the Wait Deck
5) The remaining 10 cards will form the Destiny Deck

This way, there's always about 2 cards of each color in the Destiny Deck, but sometimes there can be for example 3 blue and 1 red - to mix up things a bit.

This way, the Cylon player can sometimes try to put bad cards in the skill check - but not get revealed so easily.

We have tested the game couple of times and thought that this will help the cylon player slightly, but not definitely too much. We tried this with the 4 player (no symphatizer variant, but so that we reduced all but fuel -1).

Not sure how this would work in 5-6 player games, but at least for 3-4 this will add a good deal in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a really good idea. I'd love to have something to make card counting irrelevant, and this does so in a very simple and straightforward manner.

Quite often, it's very easy to know exactly what the last two cards in the deck are, which is entirely not the intent of having a secret destiny deck. Be nice to be rid of that. I'll have to try it out in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like it would be a clever addition to the game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
This sounds like a good variant for the groups where the players count the cards from the destiny deck (or at least try to). I sure would use it if I was playing with people who tend to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is its a great idea! Definately keeps a high level of variety without a heavy penalty towards either side (human or Cylon) and messess up card-counting very quickly.

Second thought though was, do we have enough skill cards to do this in a 6 player game (less would not be a problem - though 5 players could still feel some strain I'm guessing)? I've played against some nasty revealed Cylon's who stock-pile on a skill deck to prevent humans getting them (mainly Leadership and Tactics).

Third thought was my second thought is silly. Given there are currently 21 cards in each skill deck, reducing it to 18 is still probably going to be ok.

Fourth thought is we'll be getting new Skill cards in the expansion, so when it gets released I'm sure we'll have MORE than enough skill cards to make this variant work.

Sounds awesome, if maybe a bit fiddly! I'm probably going to introduce this to my group and hopefully they will accept it. Hopefully it won't slug the gameplay down but I don't see how taking an extra 10-15 seconds to set 5 cards off of a 15 card hand could do so.

To Sumarize, I think you've got a winner with this varient

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the exactly what I was thinking of doing if our players started card counting the destiny deck too much.

Haven't needed to yet, would like to see this as an official rule one day though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - glad to see you like this idea.

Like said, in our (max 4 player) games this has worked fine. What comes for 6-player "we might run out of cards" you could perhaps consider one or some of these ideas:
- have 8 or 9 hand limit for revealed cylons
- stop using this after cylons have been revealed (this is what we do)
- buying another copy of BattleG and taking more cards from there :p

Quote:
"Hopefully it won't slug the gameplay down but I don't see how taking an extra 10-15 seconds to set 5 cards off of a 15 card hand could do so."

The key thing is to make sure that when the 10 cards are exhausted from the Destiny Deck, somebody can already start making the new Deck while voting is happening... in our games I don't think using this variation has caused any noticiable delay.

Also - after cylons have been revealed (and the next time Destiny Deck goes to zero), we simply stop using this system - and proceed doing 10 card Destiny decks without the Wait Deck (since the main reason we use this is to ensure that unrevealed cylons have slightly more opportunities to contribute negatively in skill checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's actually a REALLY simple way to increase uncertainty in the skill checks without skewing the odds or changing gameplay. I'd almost think this would be most useful for the PBF games (though I think card counting is part of the fun in those...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried this Saturday in a 6-player with-sympathizer game. Worked fine, though we wound up reshuffling skill cards a little more often we didn't wind up running out of anything (even green).

It didn't seem to offer the Cylons a particularly strong opportunity to spike checks while hidden, but they won anyway so who knows?

I'll definitely suggest it again for games within my usual circles, since the humans seem to have regained the advantage with experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome to hear that (we haven't got chance to play with 6 players... that's just a dream now :)).

Good point on that "more reshuffling", it indeed happens a bit more often.

Your experience sounds similar to our 3-4 player experience: it doesn't offer too big advantage (which we were afraid a bit in the beginning when I first suggested this), but it does add that little bit of more paranoia in the game...

In fact once the human players threw non-cylon in the brig because of rationalizing that in one skill check the cylon player *should* have throw a negative card in the check (all cards were positive), but since one player didn't participate - he must be the cylon (won't go too deep in the logic on that specific situation, but it was paranoia in its best :D)... well, he was the human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we've tried it now several times and every time (no matter how many players) all players wanna use this.

It still means that there's 2 cards of each color *on average* (sometimes there was 1+3+2+2+2 colors)... so it's not a big difference, but enough to generate discussion "maybe he wasn't putting both purple cards".

Try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Was just thinking of doing a very similar thing in our own games; glad I looked this up before making a redundant posting =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.