Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Buying games is such difficult work! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to buy a game...ONLY ONE game. I want something a little different and I love new games.

There are three games that I am considering and I have no idea which I am going to get. HELP!

1. Tales of the Arabian Nights - The most unique game to come out in a few years, but .... it seems that the game plays you more than you play the game. Will I get bored of this as I did the choose your own adventure books?

2. Ghost Stories I like Pandemic, dislike Battlestar (too long) and I have been looking for a new coop. Will this be too difficult to teach to my wife? Too many symbols, etc?

3. Small World I have played this several times. It is an interesting game of timing your actions...should I get my own copy (someone in my group has one)? Will my wife play with this fantasy theme? Are the other two better options since I know someone with this game?

Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only going to buy one game you might eliminate choice #1 because it's an unknown. Tales of the Arabian Nights an older game that's being reprinted. I don't know if there were any major changes, or if it has limited playability. You also should eliminate choice #3 just because you have access to it.

Ghost Stories if fun and doesn't take long, it's just really hard to win.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also go with #2 - Ghost Stories.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Buying games is such difficult work!


Only if you excercise common sense. I avoided the dilemma by buying them all.


Falcons wrote:

1. Tales of the Arabian Nights - The most unique game to come out in a few years, but .... it seems that the game plays you more than you play the game. Will I get bored of this as I did the choose your own adventure books?


You know better than we do whether you're likely to get bored. The fact that you're asking makes me suspect the answer is yes. On the plus side, this is the most beautiful game, physically, that I've seen in a very long time. Perhaps ever. That may appeal to your wife.


Falcons wrote:

2. Ghost Stories I like Pandemic, dislike Battlestar (too long) and I have been looking for a new coop. Will this be too difficult to teach to my wife? Too many symbols, etc?


Far closer to Pandemic than to BG. I don't think it's that difficult to learn, but many find it difficult to win at first. The question is, will that frustrate you, or will you and your wife enjoy working cooperatively on a challenging problem?


Falcons wrote:

3. Small World I have played this several times. It is an interesting game of timing your actions...should I get my own copy (someone in my group has one)? Will my wife play with this fantasy theme?


Another question that you can answer best, as you know your wife. But the others you list are fantasy themes as well (Near Eastern and Chinese), so I think a better question is how your wife will react to the conflict element. In the others, you won't be attacking each other's units.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do what I do... buy ONE game. Then get another. Then another.

solved!

you're welcome
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anathemus wrote:
Go with ARKHAM HORROR man, I think you would be better served than those three games


He hates Battlestar though... this is just as long...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
I am trying to buy a game...ONLY ONE game. I want something a little different and I love new games.

There are three games that I am considering and I have no idea which I am going to get. HELP!

1. Tales of the Arabian Nights - The most unique game to come out in a few years, but .... it seems that the game plays you more than you play the game. Will I get bored of this as I did the choose your own adventure books?

2. Ghost Stories I like Pandemic, dislike Battlestar (too long) and I have been looking for a new coop. Will this be too difficult to teach to my wife? Too many symbols, etc?

3. Small World I have played this several times. It is an interesting game of timing your actions...should I get my own copy (someone in my group has one)? Will my wife play with this fantasy theme? Are the other two better options since I know someone with this game?

Thoughts?


They are all great games. Tales is an experience that is best with 3 players. Ghost Stories is great with 4 and is a difficult challenge. Small World is great with really 2-5 players and plays fast. You really cant go wrong with the bunch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.