United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, if you made a suggestion in one of the two threads for the name of my next wargame, I really appreciate it. The original threads are linked here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427549
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427552

Even if you didn’t suggest a name in one of those threads, I’m asking for your vote on a name from the list in this poll for the card game I’m working on based on the combat system in Frontline General: Italian Campaign Introduction.

Not all of the suggestions passed the "Google Test". For example, I thought "Tip of the Spear" was very good; however, it’s the name of an expansion for another game. Other suggestions were great titles but not quite in line with this game’s premise.

Based on all of the suggestions, I put this poll together with titles that 1) passed the "google test" and 2) I feel best describe what the game is all about.

A bit more info about the game before you vote: This game is all tactical, all combat, WWII-based, fast-playing, and uses cards for Unit stats and some card play. It also includes dice-based resolution of attacks. It does have a combined arms approach- so it’s not all infantry. Units are individual tanks, aircraft, artillery, and squads of infantry. During testing, games are taking approx. 20-30 minutes to play on average. Theme and setting is not as important with this game as our larger (higher level) games take care of the setting.

Your votes will help me narrow this list down even further to finally decide on the name. If the chosen name is one that you suggested, you’ll get a free copy of the game once it goes to print!

Thanks again everyone!

Poll: Please Help Name Our Next Wargame
This poll is based on your suggested titles for our next wargame.
What would you name our next Wargame?
Frontline General: Advance!
Frontline General: Attack!
Frontline General: Band of Fire
Frontline General: Combat!
Frontline General: Contact
Frontline General: Enemy Contact
Frontline General: Engagements
Frontline General: Fire Mission
Frontline General: Frontline Chaos
Frontline General: H-Hour
Frontline General: Hold This Line
Frontline General: Meeting Engagement
Frontline General: Spearpoint
Frontline General: Tactical Command
Frontline General: Tactical Engagement
Frontline General: Thunder on the Front
Other - see my suggestion below
      91 answers
Poll created by frontlinegeneral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontline General: Combat! makes me think of the old WWII TV show of the same name, people might get the wrong idea. Instead of Thunder on the Front, why not Frontline Genereal: Stormfront?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Mease19 wrote:
Frontline General: Combat! makes me think of the old WWII TV show of the same name, people might get the wrong idea. Instead of Thunder on the Front, why not Frontline Genereal: Stormfront?

Not a bad thing...nostalgic for the Old Grog, and reverential for the Young Grogs.

Combat! the TV show was as good as it gets for the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I didn't suggest this one before, since you were specifying the Italian front, but what about Frontline General: Schwerpunkt? It may not be terribly evocative of the game's scale, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of another recent wargame that likes to use exclamation points ...

I went with Spearpoint because it seemed fresh and evocative (although I see your note about Tip of the Spear). "Meeting Engagement" made of think of a desk calendar, so perhaps not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
I can think of another recent wargame that likes to use exclamation points ...

I went with Spearpoint because it seemed fresh and evocative (although I see your note about Tip of the Spear). "Meeting Engagement" made of think of a desk calendar, so perhaps not.

True! That series (which I do like a lot) was one of the reasons I was avoiding the words "Heroes", "Conflict", and "Of", and also avoiding "Fire Fights" (the name for scenarios in that series)... I do like the "!" though... a bunch of games have "!" in their titles such as Admiral Ackbar "It's a TRAP!" GAME.

I do like Spearpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My humble suggestion: Frontline: When Hamsters Attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
My humble suggestion: Frontline: When Hamsters Attack!

So thats what your avatar is all about....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Mease19 wrote:

Not a bad thing...nostalgic for the Old Grog, and reverential for the Young Grogs.

Combat! the TV show was as good as it gets for the topic.

Great idea !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a term Frontline General Something relating to being the general in charge seems the best to me.

Frontline General: Take Command

or

Frontline General: You're in Command

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Frontline General: Retreat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aksosa wrote:

Shouldn't that be, "Advance to the Rear!"?

Or from MP, "Run Away! Run Away!"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
cln777 wrote:
aksosa wrote:

Shouldn't that be, "Advance to the Rear!"?

Or from MP, "Run Away! Run Away!"?

Frontline General: Retrograde!

Focusing on actions in Sicily / Italy under Kesselring's command.

For the next module focusing on ambushes;

Frontline General: It's A Trap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What in the world is a "Band of Fire?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Btw, I didn't suggest this one before, since you were specifying the Italian front, but what about Frontline General: Schwerpunkt? It may not be terribly evocative of the game's scale, though.

That shouldn't make any difference. Most of the titles in the poll are not evocative of the game's scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

I guess it's kinda like a Ring of Fire, but without Johnny Cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
MisterG wrote:

That shouldn't make any difference. Most of the titles in the poll are not evocative of the game's scale.

Schwerpunkt is okay, but (to me) implies German units in every game- that may not always be the case. I'm also looking for something that's easily understood- i.e. not many people know what Schwerpunkt means.

And yes, most of the titles don't indicate scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Eldard wrote:
MisterG wrote:

Schwerpunkt is okay, but (to me) implies German units in every game- that may not always be the case. I'm also looking for something that's easily understood- i.e. not many people know what Schwerpunkt means.

Frontline General: Squad, Individual Tanks and Guns, Combat Card Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

Frontline General: Squad, Individual Tanks and Guns, Combat Card Game!

I like it! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Eldard wrote:

I guess it's kinda like a Ring of Fire, but without Johnny Cash.

"Ring of Fire" without Johnny Cash is like a hot dog without the bun.

Actually, the first thing that came to my mind was another song: "Band of Gold" by Freda Payne, from 1970. I understand later recordings of the song were made by Bonnie Tyler and Belinda Carlisle in the '80s.

Now that you're gone,

All I have is a band of gold,
. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for "Frontline General: Contact" but would like to see it altered to either "In Contact!" or "Contact!" (exclamation point either way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it Frontline General: Tactical Engagement, you could then follow it up with the expansion Frontline General: Marriage of Convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the result of caprice
Mozambique
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Eldard wrote:

Quote:
...For several hours units of the battalion fought as best they could. Many desperate encounters took place. In one of these, when an enemy machine gun placed a band of fire on K Company's command post, Pvt. Paul R. Spear, armed with only a pistol, charged the machine gun emplacement alone, entered it with his pistol empty and, using it as a club, routed the enemy gunners. ...

Quote:
The Rhine: Some Didn't Make It

Not all the boats got across. During the early hours of that morning most of them didn't make it. Some were blown up or sunk. Many were forced back to the west shore. The 2nd squad of Co. Ps 1st platoon was one of these. It was F Co.'s first boat out. They were being peppered by fire as soon as they were in the boat but they started paddling out into the river. Hugging the bottom of the boat to escape the fire, the men could get no coordination in their paddling. They floated downstream under the first band of fire. When they were in the clear they paddled like hell. Then the machine guns and 20mms opened up again. They ducked and drifted. Their paddles were being shot to pieces. The engineer in the front of the boat was hit. He fell overboard. All that meant to the men was that one more paddle was gone....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boyd
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Frontline General:Operations
Frontline General:On The Ground
Frontline General:Fields of Battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Eldard wrote:
MisterG wrote:

I agree the term implies German units in each game, though I figured WWII Italian Campaign scenarios would probably have them most all the time, but to me the real problem with 'schwerpunkt' is that it implies the use of mechanized forces, which your game may or may not emphasize.

As for the "understanding" problem, I should think that most wargamers are at least peripherally familiar with the term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.