Subject: Greetings, design forum! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am still sort of new to board gaming, and I haven't had a real game idea until last night. I understand that an idea is the start of a long, tricky process, which will contain many challenges. So, I found a lot of great threads in this forum and I think I can contribute and/or mooch advice.

I thought of an idea last night while watching Blue Planet, the nature documentary about the ocean. My idea is: HIVE-MIND SPECIES MASTER! I wrote six pages of scribbled rules and rule ideas.

Set in a post industrial future, players mind-control a collective of different species. Each species is either a plant, animal, or decomposer, and has a set of numbers which represent how much of other types of species it can eat. Players eat members of species within their own collective to gain mind control powers which let them assimilate other's species. Some species give you victory points for eating them. Eating members of other players' species gives you food, does not deplete your own population, and hurts other players. There will be a large variety of species types, some of which have unusual eating abilities; a random set of species is chosen to be in play at the beginning of the game.

Turn order is changed by various things and is important; being the first collective in a round to choose which of your species eats what gives you lots of delicious options.

The exciting thing about the design process so far is coming up with several wildly different variants for the same rule. For example, should turn order be determined by who ate the least the previous round? Or by who has the fewest population cubes? I plan on having a living rulebook which has at least twice as many rules as are actually in play in a given game, so I can try out combinations of alternatives from game to game.

Also, I'm trying to think of nonexistant, futuristic, post-industrial species names. Examples: nuclear nettles (plant which can eat animals), ground sucker (animal which can eat bacteria and fungi), breast-backed shrimp (basically just shrimp, with shrimp-sized boobies on their backs). If you have any such ideas, feel free to contribute!

Thanks for being an awesome forum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello! I hope your day is pleasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Can't wait to see it fleshed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to seeing this fleshed out. I'll help in any way I can, the idea sounds awesome! I'm kinda on a brain-vacation today, so can't offer any species suggestions just yet, but if any come to me I'll let you know.

-v

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How could a game that has shrimp boobies not be a winner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent, thank you. If you are thinking of the flabbergaster or of the common sludgecap mushroom, you are too late, because I just thought of those. :arrrh:

I've been thinking today about how to represent a species' defense against other types of species. It seems like the play area could become an intractable tangle of numbers if I'm not careful. But there should be unique, randomly chosen relationships between specific species for replayability purposes. I think. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
How could a game that has shrimp boobies not be a winner?

By failing to have carbon-fiber owls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some inspiration for ya.

Cancerous Ardvaarks

Plutonium Potato Bugs

Tarantula Hawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vappel wrote:

Plutonium Potato Bugs
[/IMG]

OMGFDLSKNEA That thing has 16 legs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.