Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Variants

Subject: Military variant for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of kids (preteens) who enjoy boardgames and are well-behaved when they play -- so long as they aren't attacking each other. But if one attacks the other in a board game, there can be a lot of arguing and misbehaving. So far we've played 2 games (one Basic, one Full) in which military played almost role; I took out the War cards, and no one chose to use Aggression. But I'd rather not take out the military stuff altogether, as I do think it adds to the interesting choices that make this game fun.

Now I've been wondering: could I make a variant whereby the kids can attack me (and perhaps vice-versa), but not each other? I don't mind if that disadvantages me, but would it disadvantage them? Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Or should I just try to work on sportsmanship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with the war cards removed, with players that did not want to have them in the game. It worked fine, I suggest using that instead of a forced coalition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
But I'd rather not take out the military stuff altogether, as I do think it adds to the interesting choices that make this game fun.

I agree with you on this - the military aspects are a key to the game overall.

I think you should use your suggested variant for awhile. Show them a good example of sportsmanship - being attacked yet staying well behaved - and have fun regardless if you get beat on by them or not. After they see enough examples of it, discontinue the variant and see how it goes. If they start to get unruly about attacks on each other, you can then teach sportsmanship with the examples from the variant games.

I think it would be worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Or should I just try to work on sportsmanship?

Bequeath something valuable to your kids. Work on sportsmanship. I recommend a simpler attack-the-other-guy game so that the lessons are learned more quickly. TTA can occasionally NOT have military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Grotius wrote:
Or should I just try to work on sportsmanship?

Bequeath something valuable to your kids. Work on sportsmanship. I recommend a simpler attack-the-other-guy game so that the lessons are learned more quickly. TTA can occasionally NOT have military.

I agree 100% and I would avoid the variant you suggested. Let them know that you have confidence in their ability to conduct themselves in a mature manner while playing the game. Any "attacks" made on an opponent, regardless of who makes them, should be thought of as a problem to be solved and a lesson to be learned.

I would recommend the "variant" that only one attack me made on an opponent per go around. Each player has an extra marker in the center of the board that is claimed by the player that wishes to play an aggression against them. A player can only play an aggression or a war on someone if they can claim their marker. After the "aggressor" has taken his following turn that marker is placed back in the center of the board to be claimed at some future point. This way a weak player dosen't get hammered on repeatedly in quick succession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of one attack per round. I'll try that.

Tonight I played a 2-player game with one of the kids, and she was perfectly cool, even as I destroyed two of her buildings and set back her culture production quite a bit. She replied by initiating an arms race that I eventually lost! In fact, in two head-to-head games with her, I have yet to win. Hmmph!

The other kid has more of a temper, but we'll see how it goes in our next 3-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.