Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg» Forums » Rules

Subject: WALLS - Help, pleeease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis E. Hernández

Puerto de Sagunto, Valencia, SPAIN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m having a TERRIBLE time trying to understand all the rules regarding heights, altitude and levels... I would like to suggest more examples and expanded rules for future revisions of the L´N´L system...

On the Terrain Effects Chart, there are two exceptions when walls block LOS. There are some examples, but they seem to refer to another game of the series, since they speak about board "15". Can someone give me examples in the HotB maps?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Map 15: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/334525
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ethan!
However, despite the example, I´m still unable to understand the exceptions explained on the Terrain Effects Table regarding when LOS can be traced through walls... Can someone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luis,

I'll be glad to help.

If the firer or target is adjacent to the wall it can be seen and fired at. Period. Simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mark! Must I assume they are tall walls (taller than a man) or similar to lawn fences? What happens with the "shadow" rule? Is it applicable to walls? Can you fire at a unit behinf a wall from a higher altitude?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luis,

It's been a while since your post, but I'll take a shot at your last questions.

I envision walls and hedges to be about 1 meter high or so. The Terrain Effects Chart (TEC) shows their obstacle height as "Per terrain in hex", so they don't qualify as a full Level in height. But they're high enough to block same-level LOS to non-adjacent hexes.

The "shadow rule" doesn't apply to walls and hedges. Only terrain that has an Obstacle Height given on the Terrain Effects Chart has a shadow (i.e. a blind spot), if the LOS goes "over" it from a higher level to a lower level (rule 10.3, second-to-last paragraph). If the Obstacle Height is listed as "per height of terrain", no shadow. (One exception: bocage has an obstacle height of Level One, but no shadow; see TEC notes)

If a unit is at a higher elevation than the wall (on a hill or upper level of a building), it can see "over" the wall into those non-adjacent hexes beyond it (and vice-versa). If fired on from the higher elevation, those units beyond the wall get no benefit fromit. But AFAIK, units behind and adjacent to the wall would still get the TM, even if fired on from higher elevation. Same idea with hedges, but TM is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.