4 Posts

Lord of the Rings: Battlefields» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Not again!!! 5 event tiles in a single turn! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I played my 3rd and 4th games of LOTR Battlefields today.

Both were major disasters.

1) This one was quite short. The long and the short of it was, I used Gandalf to kill the black enemy in Moria, but due to some bad luck with trigger tiles, the green enemy charged through Gimli, and as my defenses were breached, despite my best efforts to repair them, I was kicked out by fly you fools, having taken major, major damage from the battlefield. At one point, the red enemy went into the ringbearer 3 corruption space. shake At this point, I just conceded the game, and started to try again.

2)
Well, after a visit from Gandalf, and some additional preparations (rolled sauron), Frodo and Sam hid from the nazgul with no difficulty, and went to Rivendell.

After gifts and council, we formed the fellowship, and headed off to Khazad Dum.

This time, Moria went very nicely, without a single event happening, and the hobbits were dominating the battlefield. Gandalf killed off the gray enemy, making Sam immediately gandalf enabled, and we also killed off the black enemy, healing up a little. Putting on the ring, Frodo rolled discard 2 cards... not bad, and then Sam finished the scenario. The only damage that happened was card loss, and a little life token corruption. Frodo was on 1, Sam on 3, Sauron on 14, and Sam now got the ring.

However, although we got some of the best cards at Lothlorien (missing the brooch, box of earth, Phial, and boat), Helm's deep was a major disaster.

Things started off smoothly enough, with us getting three activity tiles in a row, and then using Gandalf to kill off the double damage enemy, putting Sam back to 1. Then, major disaster struck. Frodo's second turn came up, and he drew...

Event (Sam discarded bow and a wild)
Event/discard 3 cards (Staff canceled)
Ringbearer corruption
Event (Sauron advances, Sam corrupted once from roll)
Ringbearer corruption
Event (Sauron advanced twice)
Event (Discarded double wild to avoid consequences)
Event (Sauron advanced twice AGAIN!)
Handshake (Finally!)

So, after all of that, Sauron had advanced down to 9, and Sam had advanced all the way up to 4... and I hadn't even resolved the five trigger tiles yet! At this point, Frodo and Sam, floored by their incredibly bad luck, handed the ring off to Gandalf, and started walking back towards Bag End. (AKA: I just started packing up.)

Note: I took pictures of both the string of event tiles drawn, and the entire board after the disaster. They were uploaded to BGG (LOTR basic game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second picture was denied due to being blurry. Oh well. Also, the first picture is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefields expansion is hard! Even without horrible Event draws. Heck, I beat base + F&F + BF with 3 hobbits, Sauron at 15 before I beat base + BF with 2 hobbits. I think a lot of has to do with Fighting cards. In base + BF, 3 of the 4 scenarios are Fighting main line + you need to spend Fighting cards to play your Characters to the battlefield.

Also, those Red Enemies with their double-damage are nasty! Most of them don't even have a good reward if you actually make the effort to kill them shake (too lazy to check, going by memory), only the Mordor Red is nice, recouping 5 Shields that you probably spend on the Gandalf card to kill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Helm's deep one isn't bad, with a double heal. Moria is a mere one shield.

Shelob's lair's red enemy is VERY nasty, as its both charging, double damage, AND you only get one measly shield for killing it!

Also, as a side note, I nearly won my second game... got messed up by a 3 corruption "put on the ring roll" when Frodo was merely one space from Sauron. (as a side-note, Gandalf's healing was available, and I was 4 spaces from mount doom. If I could have used Integrity from F&F, I would have won!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.