Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

As I sit and surf BGG, I am wondering when, or if, another iconic level game will ever be realized. I know Monopoly, The Game of life, and Sorry get very little love on this site, but you can't deny their staying power and impact on American culture. Like it or not they are classics for a lot of people. I am wondering if it's possible in this day and age for another "classic" or iconic game title to be created? With video games, short attention spans, and lots of two parent working homes do we still have an environment which will allow new game to become a part of the American culture?

As a youngster I loved nothing more than playing board games with my Parents, Grandparents and friends. It was a time for fun and for bonding. Everyone knew how to play the "standards" and everyone seemed to have fun regardless of the game played. I am sure a lot of people miss those days. Many people on this site have their gaming groups, but a large number of us also seem to play solo or not at all. Would a new "hot" game change the gaming landscape and make them popular again?

Despite their age and quality, nearly everyone has played most of the standard games in America. Can a new title be added to the list and become a modern day icon? I certainly hope so and I look forward to everyone's comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Risk to your list, as well as scrabble and chess, however:

Catan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Uno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess!?

and we're seeing Go starting to get more popular in the USA. Not that it's a new game, but ya know... it's new to us.

Magic: The Gathering is a pretty big one too, though where I work I'm seeing World of Warcraft Trading Card Game sell nearly as well, and that's newer, even if it is nearly the same game.

but you were thinking of "board game" board games, not ancient abstract strategy games or collectible card games. For that, it's actually quite impressive how well Catan is doing, though it took it a decade to really catch on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon dee
Denmark
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i wouldn't hesitate to call settlers for the next iconic game (in northen europa atleast).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite buy Magic as an iconic game for the reason that a random person (who knows the game) can't just pick up a random deck and start playing well. You need to know that particular deck, and that makes it, in my mind, less suitable for iconicity.

I'd nominate Yatzee and Mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.