BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Beer and Wine, Line 6 please... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So Nazhuret got a new job peddling beer and wine at the grocery store where we both work. I was thrilled when he got the job as a career change was long overdue for him and this is a field he's been wanting to get in for quite a while. The job is fantastic for him, as his boss is extremely knowledgeable and good at her job and I think he'll learn a lot from her.

(A career switch is needed for me as well, but for now I can gloat about his accomplishments.)

Now, what's really great about this job are the perks. First day, he came home with three half-empty bottles of wine as "homework." He's had the job for about two weeks now and has been bring home a steady stream of good beers, wines and sakes. It's great! Some of it's free, some is just interesting stuff to try. And the best part is, I'm learning some things just by being around.

So, in short, YAY BOOZE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Hey it's important to love what you do ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Indeed. For the first time, we're staying up late and he's telling me all he's learning. I'm drinking the free booze. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay booze indeed...

There's too many damn wines though. And the stupid systems that the French and Italians made up are ridiculous.
They're totally random. No rhyme or reason to them.
I much prefer the New World method of just calling the frickin' wine what it is. Give me a varietal on the label. Chateau de Blahblahblah doesn't mean shit to me or anyone else that hasn't grown up with your shitty appellation system.

Oh, and getting into the swing of things in terms of customer service again is interesting. Being in kitchens and not talking to a customer in over twelve years makes your speech patterns and mannerisms somewhat.... "rustic".
That doesn't fly when your clientele largely consists of old rich people.

Anyway, yeah, it's fun. I'm glad I've an opportunity to learn some stuff again.

And the "homework" is such that I am actually completing it, unlike in school...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any nice Aussie drops yet?

If you get a chance, Brockenwood Cricketpitch or Brokenwood Graveyard, if you are feeling rich.

On the weekend I drank an entire bottle of Vintage Moet. Hubby thought it would be a nice thing for me seeing as how I have been sick as a dog for a month, and with house guests to boot. It was tasty!

http://www.brokenwood.com.au/wines/productRange/

Enjoy the job! Hooray!!!

(And enjoy the freebies and edumacation, Zora Zen. xxx)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am learning, bit by bit.

A good story:

Rich couple in their 50's are sampling a Malbec Rose that Naz is pouring. The guy is blathering on about it having flavors of whatever, I don't know, banana and root beer with a dash of herring or something. He then says, "You can't really taste the malbec in here."
Naz replies, "Sir, it's 100% Malbec."

The customer's wife replies "HA!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.