Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper» Forums » General

Subject: 2009 reprint - beware! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a copy of the 2009 reprint last week. While the game is fun to play (we also own Jeckyll and Hyde as well as Wyatt Earp), the actual cards are horrible!

The outer packaging is quite nice; looks a lot like a book and fits nicely on a shelf. The actual design of the cards is also nice. Good printing, design, colors, etc.

The card stock, however, is crap. First, the cards are cut in different sizes. the difference is ever-so-slight, but it stills make a difference since the deck never looks flush.

Also, the cards are way too stiff to shuffle. Maybe they will soften up as we play more, but they have absolutely no give. They almost feel like coasters you might get at a bar in that if you do try to bend them they might "crack"

If this game came in the same card stock as, say, Dominion, it would be awesome. Right now I just sorta tolerate it.

To add to this, I emailed the company about the size of the cards and never heard back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

It sounds like the cardstock is similar to the rest of the Mystery Rummy series, as far as thickness is concerned, which isn't a bad thing, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an older print, and it had the way-too-stiff cards. I hate them, they are very hard to shuffle, and they crease easily because they are so stiff. Yuck.

So far, the new edition sounds no worse than the one I have. Although it would be nice if it had been better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
The thick cards do kind of suck. They started this with the reprint after they released Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld. The packaging is nice, but the cards are hard to shuffle and are prone to bending. I was hoping they would have gone back to a more traditional card stock with the latest reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Damn. And this from a compnay that specializes in card decks. Are they thicker than the Jekyll & Hyde cards? If not, I can live with that, but the size difference is much more troublesome.

I've had complaints about card stiffness in other games too (Last Night on Earth, Battle Line). Why oh why do companies use this kind of card stock for playing cards? I assume 'heavier' means 'more expensive', but it certainly isn't better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
These are thicker and stiffer than the Jekyll & Hyde cards. They are the same as the Al Capone cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if they are printed on a true playing card stock. Thicker is not necessarily cheaper if it's just printed on a thick coated paper stock. A true playing card stock is a layered paper that has an opaque center laminated between outer layers of coated stock. This gives the cards flexibility and of coarse makes them opaque which is important for obvious reasons in games where cards are held in a hand.

To save money, some companies will forgo using playing card stock for a cheaper thick coated paper that achieves the opaque quality, yet adversely it compromises the flexibility and durability inherent in a playing card stock.

If these cards are printed on playing card stock, you can look closely at the edge of the card and be able to see the dark opaque center between the white outer paper layers. Maybe someone can take a look at their cards and see if it is playing card stock or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I finally got mine, and am somewhat pleasantly surprised. They are exactly the same thickness as the cards from my copy of Jekyll & Hyde, and the sides are actually cut more consistently, making riffle shuffling easier. They're by no means perfect - shuffling is still difficult due to stiffness, and the corners are inconsistently cut. But they are not the worst I have owned, and for $9 I can live with them. Hopefully by the time I wear these out US Games will have figured out how to make proper playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine too and I'm happy enough with the quality. I did notice that some of the corners of my cards are not all cut consistent. I also looked closely at the card edge with a magnifying loupe and from the best I could tell the cards do not have an opaque center layer.

However, they are very opaque due to the card stock and thickness (I'm guessing 12 pt.) and when held up in front of a bright light you can barely see through the card and make out some of the high contrast graphic edges from the other side. I went ahead and sleeved my cards for extra protection and durability (plus so I wouldn't be reminded of the inconsistent corners). I also made a custom insert so they would all fit back in the original box nicely.

I'm happy to finally get a copy of the game at a good price and I like Jack's portrait that has been added to the cover and back of the cards. Best case scenario I think it would have been nicer if they were printed on a 10 pt. linen finish coated playing card stock though...and the corners trimmed correctly. I think this is strange problem that's been seen at least one other time recently. Ticket to Ride Switzerland had a similar problem with the first printing of its cards, which DoW in turn offered replacements for.

-Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Albin
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the second edition, noted the different sizes of cards, and e-mailed USGames. They got back to me the next day (a Sunday!) and promised to mail me a replacement deck. They didn't even ask me for a card from the deck or for any proof of purchase. So bravo for their customer service, and I don't mind the thickness or stiffness of the cards. I had no trouble shuffling the deck I bought (except for the size difference, of course). Once I get the replacement deck, I'll be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know if that fixes the card size issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Albin
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
Let us know if that fixes the card size issue.

Received the new decks today by UPS from USGames. The cards are still of the thicker stock (again, which I prefer), but the size of the cards is now uniform. Again, bravo to USGames' customer service. Issue presented and resolved within a week. Buy this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy only a few weeks ago and it was printed in 2003. I nowhere can find the reprinted cards (2009).

I still need case #2 "THe Murders in the Rue Morgue". Where can I buy this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.