flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We sat down for a 6 player game. The characters (in player order):

Baltar (aka President Tool)
Tyrol (aka Worst. Mechanic. Ever.)
Helo (aka the brig-bound leader)
Starbuck (aka How can you shoot that much and still boss people around)*
Apollo (aka I can't stay in this bed, there are planes launching)
Tigh (aka The alcohol has no effect on me) (me)*

Players with a * had played before, everyone else was new (Starbuck had won the last game as the Cylon Tyrol). So after the rules explanation, we deal the cards and start.

The first few rounds are uneventful, to the point where we make the first two jumps having lost very little, from everything but morale. In fact, the cylon fleet didn't even show until after the Sleeper phase, but we identified our first cylon early. A check showed 4 negative cards, with only three players, and only tyrol got the cards of that color. We brigged him when he wouldn't fix things, and he revealed and left us. In the meantime, we kept executive ordering the president to make speeches, and he kept failing. He did one good thing before the sleeper phase. He did check my loyalty card, and made a note on his "suspected cylons map."

Finally, after the second jump, getting us to the sleeper phase, we continue. We're now supportless, but it hasn't mattered yet. Helo is the sympathizer, and is sent to the brig, where he will remain for a while, playing executive orders on me, the pilots, and the president. We continue for another time or two around the table, and the XOs to the ineffective president continue, and finally a cylon fleet shows. The pilots get out there and start smacking them down. The president, meanwhile, encourages mutiny by Helo (still in the brig). He plays strategic planning, hoping to avoid a morale hit (as it is our lowest resource). Of course, since he is in the brig, we decide he can't keep it, and we send it back to the highest ranked player (me). At this point, several of us think Baltar's the cylon, based on ineffectiveness and this play, and when my turn rolls around, I declare martial law, and take control of the situation. Immediately after this, Baltar reveals, doing a little damage.

Great. A traitorous mechanic, and now a traitorous president. But we're ok, aside from being out of raptors, and having the alcoholic admiral/president. We've gone 8 distance, and now the enemy fleets start to show up in force (which conveniently gets Apollo out of sickbay when new vipers are launched). At this point, most turns went like so:

Helo: XO the president (from the brig), who uses quorum cards and the one remaining nuke effectively.
Starbuck: Maximum firepower + XO the president, who gives more speeches.
Apollo: Maximum firepower or XO if there are no targets.
Tigh: Speech or XO the pilots.

Helo finally decides to get out of jail, and we start the hard work. Then, the cylons start blasting us hard. Galactica has 4 damage markers, including the armory, command, and the flight deck. And no one can fix them. Every civilian in the game is out there, and we need to go. Every resource is stretched thin. Finally, the time comes. We get a crisis that will activate raiders and advance the jump track to the -3 spot. We have no choice. We do the raiders. Our last few vipers can't hold on for long, so we start to pick up the civilians. Counting up the totals, we get reduced down to one population (from around 9), no vipers, and still 4 or 5 civilian ships out there, with way too many raiders. So we have to jump. It is now Apollo's turn, so he goes to FTL control, pulls the switch, and we jump.... but it isn't over yet. We still have to make the roll. I play my last strategic planning, and the die is cast. Watching, bounce, bounce, bounce. It all comes down to .... a 5! We're saved! Jump successful, thanks to some strategic planning!

This is our third game, and was the first human win.

Two games in a row with a cylon mechanic. Interesting. I wonder if it means something.....

Also, Tigh's disadvantage is not a big deal. It got me once, and then I treated a hand of two as a hand of one more powerful card. Did keep me out of a couple of checks, but not a significant deal.

Still left an open question though. What happens when you succeed at mutiny from within the brig? I think our ruling was correct if slightly pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
personwholives wrote:
Also, Tigh's disadvantage is not a big deal. It got me once, and then I treated a hand of two as a hand of one more powerful card. Did keep me out of a couple of checks, but not a significant deal.

That sounds about right. For most characters, the drawback comes up about once per game if that, although it can sometimes slightly alter the flow of play. The exception is Laura Roslin, but she is also one of the most powerful characters.

Quote:
Still left an open question though. What happens when you succeed at mutiny from within the brig? I think our ruling was correct if slightly pointless.

I believe you were correct. If the Admiral is ever in the Brig when any other character is not, the title is passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.