Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How does your strategy change online versus face to face play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious point would be that I play 3 games online, one face-to-face (as of right now...). I find it useful to check who played which phases every time I take my turn online. Generally I keep a short term memory of what I was doing in each game, so it reduces downtime for each one. I usually pick my actions within a minute, sometimes two minutes... it's quite rare it takes longer than that.

I'd say that I check scores more often online; I only do that 1-2 times per game face to face, maybe three at most. A rough idea of what people have played generally works for me, and it's more important to have a feel of where the game is going as opposed to knowing the exact number. But online, if it's right there, you might as well take a look.

I'm less likely to gamble online, meaning that I'm more reluctant to do naked trades and other silly maneuvers online. In person you know the other player and you can target them specifically. A person who complains about their cards when they have New Sparta, for instance, probably isn't going to settle/trade, so you'd better do settle/produce instead of explore/produce if you want that production world in play. I don't have this type of intuition online, even against people I know. Online poker is much the same way... but I prefer poker online, in all honesty.

Things that don't change:
I always keep a close eye on # of developments/worlds in tableau, VP chips, production advantages, and when the game is ending. I've stolen some wins when the other player does consume/produce on the last turn instead of something useful/consume. It's essential to watch out for this; the last turn is hard enough to play when you know it's coming.

Actually, pretty much everything not mentioned stays the same. I still have fun either way.

Anyone else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that playing online really enhanced how I play RftG. It seriously opened my eyes to how to really put cards I usually ignored to use. Cards like Pilgrimage World, Trading Guild, Pan-Galactic League, Pirate World, Clandestine Uplift Lab... All rock-awesome cards, if you use them right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Face to face, I never accidentally use Space Mercenaries to discard the Rebel Homeworld I'm trying to settle =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I do in the online version, as well as heard of....
--Plot out values in Excel files to maximize points
--write down a list of important cards that passed your hands (e.g. Improved Logistics, some of the more relevant 6-cost devs for you and your opponent.)
--go heavier on AP
--look up card lists to recall what other cards may be coming up
--"stop and smell the roses". You get to see things in "slow motion" rather than be rushed in a f2f game

One thing I like about IRL is more leniency
--I did accidently select "Decline ___", so now you miss out on your turn
--Also, online, cards aren't used as goods
--No Gambling World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

This is no longer the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

This is no longer the case.

Is there a reason for that?
Isn't it better to use tokens IRL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seiseki wrote:
Isn't it better to use tokens IRL?

According to Tom Lehmann, the intent is that there are some cards which no one has seen as you go through the deck. This is a legitimate point in a two player game, but with four players, or even two players with the bigger deck size of the expansions, it's insignificant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why better? Tokens increase how consistently well you know others' possibilities, decrease the speed you go through the deck, and decrease handling time. It's not clear whether that's a general net gain in fun or not, though I'd say for casual play it's definitely a net gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
This is a legitimate point in a two player game, but with four players, or even two players with the bigger deck size of the expansions, it's insignificant.

It's the opposite. 2player you almost never go through the whole deck, so what's been hidden as a good on your Former Penal Colony the last half of the game is no different than an unseen card in the deck. The more players the more reshuffling, the more significant using cards as goods becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that, and using tokens either requires you to have your own set of tokens or would up the components costs of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Jahnke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Where do you play online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sara318 wrote:

http://genie.game-host.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
sara318 wrote:

One of us... One of us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
entranced wrote:
sara318 wrote:

..... Gooble gobble gooble gobble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mangiameli
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Props for the 'Freaks' reference.

So far, I have 4 types of opponents: Genie Game Server, Keldon's AI, my girlfriend, and any friends I rope into trying the game.

Of them all, I think the one that forced me to get better at gameplay is Keldon's AI. That's where it becomes leech-or-perish. My GF admits that she tends to play only for what she needs, not often leeching from me. My win against her is roughly 60%ish or thereabouts. After reading some BGG articles and getting clobbered by Keldon's AI, I expect that to rise.

Ironically--against AIs, leeching is more critical. Yet against humans, it may become more possible. I know that Jess is likely to play whatever role she needs, not build off of what I'm likely to play. So if I see she has Improved Logistics, I can be pretty sure she's going to Settle. I can therefore play Develop. My buddy Mitch likes having options, so it's a safe bet he might call Explore.

I need to get back to Genie to see if my plays are going to be better now that I'm forcing myself to leech more.

ackmondual wrote:
Stunna wrote:
entranced wrote:
sara318 wrote:

..... Gooble gobble gooble gobble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.