Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 18xx [+] [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I've gotten quite a few 18xx games over the years, and I just want to give some props to the production values of Deep Thought games that I just received. The graphics are clean and clear, there are lots of little tables and charts throughout the production to make play faster and more informed, the rules are laid out extremely well and very clear. I'm very very pleased with my Deep Thought order and I would highly recommend them to anyone wishing to buy 18xx games.

I just got 1889 to the table the other day. I took the laminated and wooden bits, but I decide to cut them myself to save a buck (so I could buy another game). I took the mounted boards too.

goo The rules are laid out perfectly (almost too perfectly, as I keep confusing them with other rulebooks). It's very easy to discern rules differences 'tween games 'cuz they're all laid out the same!

goo There's a phase chart with train cost and count and off-board payout upgrades on each of the major charters.

goo There's a chart on the board for tracking last dividend factor paid.

goo The boards were mounted on foam core, with an extra notch cut outta the back, so that you can back bend it a bit, but not too much!!

goo This was to me one of the best things: the Operating Round/Stock Round tracker is backwards. So if you have two ORs, you start it on the 2 and then move to the 1, then finally to the SR. This seems minor, but it's soooOOOOOooooo darn logical it's not even funny. This very small detail really speaks volumes to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
I've gotten quite a few 18xx games over the years, and I just want to give some props to the production values of Deep Thought games that I just received. The graphics are clean and clear, there are lots of little tables and charts throughout the production to make play faster and more informed, the rules are laid out extremely well and very clear. I'm very very pleased with my Deep Thought order and I would highly recommend them to anyone wishing to buy 18xx games.

Soooooo, which ones did you get ? I ordered 1889 recently and hope to have it by bgg.con, but that might be optimistic.

I ordered a 'ready to play' 18West from them and was blown away at the production value.

John really offers a fantastic niche product and I am glad to be able to purchase a few of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call, DTG deserves some extra kudos and I'm happy to throw some their way as well. Their production quality is easily on par with other 18XX games and they're providing a valuable service to a small but dedicated community. I'm happy to be a DTG customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge

18FL

18VA

18Scan

18EU

(Go big, or go home, babe!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

18FL

18VA

18Scan

18EU

(Go big, or go home, babe!)

good times! i may have try and borrow your 1889 from the library at bgg.con. Interested to see 1850, i do not know much about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 18FL just a month or two ago

It took a while...

But it was well worth it

Highly recommended! The quality is outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
BrenoK wrote:
1850 is mostly an 1870 variant, from what I've read.

Yeah, but given the length of 1870, I'm looking forward to 1850 actually hitting the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
molitor4 wrote:

good times! i may have try and borrow your 1889 from the library at bgg.con. Interested to see 1850, i do not know much about that one.

I'd be interested in playing 1850 (or any Deep Thought game, really) at BGG.Con. If Derk doesn't bring his copy, I can pack mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this comment. I haven't seen any other 18XX games, even the ones that are "professionally published," that come close to the quality of the DTG product. IMHO, it's nicer than 1830, nicer than 1856, nicer than 1860, and so forth.

I'm not saying those other games aren't perfectly playable; only that DTG is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.