Adios Amigos» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A quick review of Adios Amigos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jiri Dokulil
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought the game a few weeks ago, but didn't get to play it until a few hours ago. So this review is based on just a bit over one hour of playing the game (one game took less than 10 minutes, including the very first one). That said, let's get on with the review.

The box is way too big, so it is more than half empty, but the price tag is also low, so I consider it to be a reasonable value.

The game contains 60 cards, 4*10 pistol counters (each set has differently colored back-side and is numbered 0 to 9), 5 round counters, 8 bullets (made of colored wood) and 4 dynamites (made of colored wood and a piece of twine). There is no text on the cards or counters, only numbers.

Each card represents one desperado and there are two numbers on it - the numbers are both 1 to 9 and no two cards are the same. Each player starts the game with 3 such cards in front of him/her. The other players try to shoot your desperados by placing pistol counters on the cards. This can be done only if the number of the counter is equal to the sum or to the difference of the two numbers of the desperado card. This is the basic concept and although there is more to the game (the bullets, dynamites and turn counters all have their role in the game), I won't describe them any further since the rules are very simple, clear and extremely short and I don't want to give away everything.

An important aspect of the game is the turn sequence - there is none. All players play simultaneously so you need to think very fast. There is a lot to consider:
- you have several pistol counters available
- you have several targets available
- you can add or subtract the numbers
These add up (or rather multiply) into quite big number of possibilities to consider.

The game can be played in 2 to 4 players. So far, I have only tried 3. I think that the game could be fun even with two players, but better with 3 or 4. It won't probably work well with more players. The game only contains enough material for 4 players, but even if you created your own, I don't think the game would scale up well.

And how does it play? It's fast. It's chaos. And it's great fun. Both abilities and luck count in this game, so you need to have opponents with roughly the same skill level, but being a bit faster won't necessarily mean you win most of the time. Since all players act simultaneously, the game can be a bit chaotic at times, but since the overall state of the game is easy to track (all actions and their effects are easy to follow), it is only limited and IMHO adds to the fun.

This game really looks like a worthy addition to my collection (I rate it 9/10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.