Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This game says it's based on the Downtown system, but also says it's for 2-2 players. Is this game designed to play solo? Can it be played that way, at all well?

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you look around the forum a bit you'll see some discussion of this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98522
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
If you look around the forum a bit you'll see some discussion of this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98522

Thanks for the quick reply. Has anyone tried it solo? I didn't see anything about that on the CSW forum (and I'm not a member there).

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I go to that link, without logging in, I see three files to download (2 excel spreadsheets, and one pdf). It's in the first message (#2654)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
When I go to that link, without logging in, I see three files to download (2 excel spreadsheets, and one pdf). It's in the first message (#2654)

Yes, I saw that message, but didn't see any replies that actually talked about how well the game played solo, just information that it could be done. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry, I thought you missed the files. I don't remember if there are indeed any follow-ups later in the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
Sorry, I thought you missed the files. I don't remember if there are indeed any follow-ups later in the forum.

That's OK, thanks. I'm thinking of picking this up, but if it doesn't do well solo I think it would be a waste, I sadly don't have many chances for 2 player wargames, especially the good long kind. Maybe I'll get it in hopes of doing Vassal or something, but that's not quite as much fun.

Thanks for the help, it's good to know the files are there in case.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Burning Blue and I have both editions of RAF.

If your looking to play the Battle of Britain solo, you would do much better going with Decision Game's RAF.

The componets are good and on par with GMT's products and it's designed by John Butterfield (a top notch game designer).

Burning Blue is a great game (extreme high quaility), but your going to have to learn the 40+ page rulebook and learn it well. I can't see doing that then playing solo on top of that. Burning Blue inposes a lot of decision making for both sides, thats another big obsticle in solo play.

Then again, I own both games and both for me are just too good not to own.

I will also say I have not tried Burning Blue solo. I have read thru it and set it up. Trying it solo... I can't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
I have the Burning Blue and I have both editions of RAF.

If your looking to play the Battle of Britain solo, you would do much better going with Decision Game's RAF.

The componets are good and on par with GMT's products and it's designed by John Butterfield (a top notch game designer).

Burning Blue is a great game (extreme high quaility), but your going to have to learn the 40+ page rulebook and learn it well. I can't see doing that then playing solo on top of that. Burning Blue inposes a lot of decision making for both sides, thats another big obsticle in solo play.

Then again, I own both games and both for me are just too good not to own.

I will also say I have not tried Burning Blue solo. I have read thru it and set it up. Trying it solo... I can't see it.

Thanks, that's great feedback. I think solo play would be my only realistic option right now, but maybe one day I'll get to it. Thanks for your reply.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play TBB solo all the time; I've started a couple of Vassal games and not been able to finish because of the time constraints of my opponents.

The Tim Collier solo rules referred to consist of a few games pre-planned for the luftwaffe, with option logic branches for any reaction the RAF might make. They play pretty well, but it was a huge chore for the designer, and I don't expect him to produce any more.

Heads up; I'm about to post in two parts an AAR of a solo game I just played - interesting developments - using Scenario 2.

I find that to play this game (or most games) solo, you have to apply a bit of Orwellian 'doublethink'; play each side as well as you can and react to what you think the opponent is doing, not what you know the plan to be. If you can't do that, you won't enjoy the solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.