Subject: New PODs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the full knowledge that probably no one will read this, I submit a few ideas for new POD pieces to add to, or replace, some of the "official" ones.

First, there are two PODs which IMO, could use replacing. They are the Transport Pod (yes, I know it's quite useful), and the Mine and Missile Launching Pod. Both of these have move and operate in ways that don't quite fit with the rest of the game. They don't quite obey the "POD Logic". The MMLP can fire a missile along the same line that it moves, or even backwards along that line, which is inconsistant with everything else in the game. Also, since it has only 2 DCs, it's unlikely to ever see much "action" in the game. It's too slow and too far away to really be involved in a larger strategy.

The TP is not without merit, but it basically just sits there as a threat, making the center of the board dangerous to cross, which has only one of two effects: Either it slows down the action of the game, as players have to maneuver very slowly and carefully to avoid the attack of the Transport Pod, or the players sacrifice a Pod in order to get the TP off its Transport Zone, and then either capture the TP while it's relatively vulnerable, or otherwise keep if from being able to transport again.

But whatever, on to my new Pod ideas:

Hit And Run Pod - HARP - 4 Direction Changes, but can only capture on its third DC! It *cannot* capture on it's fourth! The HARP is hard to trap, since it gets one DC to get away from the "scene of the crime". So even though it can move 4 DCs, its offensive range is only 3 DCs.

(New) Modular Attack Pod - MAP - One of the earlier playtesting versions of the game had a Pod with this name, which ahd 5 DCs and could split itself into up to five individual Pods with as little as 1 DC each, or any combination. It was removed from the game because it was too powerful and the rules governing it were rather ambiguous. So I've come up with a new version: This one has 5 DCs, like the original, but it only splits into two pieces - one with 3 DCs and one with 2 DCs. It can only split at the beginning of its movement and can only recombine at the end of its movement. If the MAP is split, you move both pieces on your turn (or move some other Pod), unless one of them is frozen. If one piece is captured, they both are. They are not "sympathetically" frozen, pushed, or towed.

Booster Pod - BP - Sort of the opposite of the Freeze Pod. It has 4 DCs, and when it is aimed at another Pod, that Pod *gains* a DC!

Shield Pod - SP - 3 DCs, one side of this Pod is "shielded" - it cannot be captured from that side. The shield covers one direction only, so the SP can still be captured from other sides. I haven't yet decided how this interacts with the Freeze Pod, Pusher Pod, Tow Pod Pod, etc. Currently, I'm saying that the SP cannot be frozen from the shield side, but it can still be pushed, towed, and boosted.

Gun Pod - GP - Sort of the opposite of the HARP. It has 3 DCs, but it can capture along one additional DC. It *cannot* capture on it's third DC. The capturing DC must obey all the usual movement rules, such as having to be in a different direction than the 3rd DC. The only difference is that this Pod doesn't actually move to the space of the captured Pod. To me, this is an improved version of the MMLP - it "shoots" like the MMLP does, but it has an unlimited number of "missiles," but can fire only one per turn, and the firing conforms to the usualy rules of the game.

My favorites are the HARP, the new MAP, and the BP. The other two I think are fairly good ideas, but not as much as the others. I think any of these would be a good substitute for the MMLP or the TP, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly two years after posting the above, I have another idea: The Shield Pod above may be a problem. It might be possible to completely "turtle" the CCP so the game can never end.

However, it led me to another idea, yet another "opposite" of the Freeze Pod. Call it the "Defense Pod". The DP has, say, 4 DCs, and like the Freeze Pod, has a directional facing that can be aimed at a friendly Pod. That Pod is then shielded and cannot be captured. Of course the DP cannot protect itself, and may be captured, frozen, pushed, towed, etc., in which case it no longer protects the Pod it had been protecting. And if necessary, it's simple to have a rule that says the DP cannot protect the CCP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.