Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Johnston
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all

Got TotAN today, enjoyed playing a quick solo game (just to learn it) and as I was packing everything away a deep sense of "hmmm" came over me.

What is the best way to store/pack away all those skill markers?

I have them nicely stacked on my desk, a pile for each type, and I am very hesitant to throw them all into a bag.

So, have any of you had this quandary as well? What have you done with your ability markers?

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have a solution either. We ended up just throwing them into a bag. It is a bit of a hassle to pick them out when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Johnston
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmb
It'd be nice if it came with a tray similar to the one found in Smallworld for all its small bits of cardboard, no?

hmmm ... perhaps I will try to make one. Now, to figure out how to mold plastic...

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a photo handy but I use a GMT counter tray for them, fits the box fine. http://www.thoughthammer.com/gmt-counter-tray-single-p-1858....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put them away and never take them out again? I was thinking, given that all the skills are listed on each players reference card anyways, that it might be worth laminating the reference cards and using erasable markers instead of sorting through the skill tiles each game. One dot for talent, two for master. The seamanship special rule is easy enough to notate somewhere or just memorize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
I don't have a photo handy but I use a GMT counter tray for them, fits the box fine. http://www.thoughthammer.com/gmt-counter-tray-single-p-1858....

Josh, check imperial hobbies in Richmond for these tray, they might have them. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Put them away and never take them out again? I was thinking, given that all the skills are listed on each players reference card anyways, that it might be worth laminating the reference cards and using erasable markers instead of sorting through the skill tiles each game. One dot for talent, two for master. The seamanship special rule is easy enough to notate somewhere or just memorize.

You know? That is a very good idea! I think I might do that, although I wonder if laminating the boards will ruin trade value. Not that I will be want to trade this game away, but I always consider that kind of stuff. Just in case.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use some of that Hugo's Amazing Tape to wrap around a counter stack and keep it in order

darksurtur wrote:

Thats a very interesting idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could put them in plastic pill organizers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Standerline
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my local craft/hobby shop you can buy small, clear-plastic, storage boxes for beads and they have 18 1 inch square compartments arranged 6x3. Luckily there are 18 different types of counter. The tray fits in the game box without even having to get rid of the inserts.Cost in UK £2.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:

I'm actually working on a new player board that will include a story/destiny track and talent/master check boxes next to the skills. I plan on laminating it but I'll upload a copy here for people who would like to do the same (or just print disposable ones each game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

You know? That is a very good idea! I think I might do that, although I wonder if laminating the boards will ruin trade value. Not that I will be want to trade this game away, but I always consider that kind of stuff. Just in case.....

This sounds like a good idea, so I tested out dry-erase markers (from my copy of "Say Anything") on one of my TotAN player boards. The boards have a pretty high gloss finish, as-is. I only let it sit on there for about twenty minutes, but it worked perfectly. Hesitantly, I'd say using dry erase markers consistently on these boards would work fine even without lamination.

Edit: It now occurs to me that, in addition to keeping track of skills, dry erase markers could be used to write down each player's victory formula. Just write it on the player board on the space for the player token, and then cover it up with the player token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
it might be worth laminating the reference cards and using erasable markers instead of sorting through the skill tiles each game.

I think, just to be on the safe side, I'd rather just print off 6 lists of skills on separate paper and laminate those. Same principle, but without the risk of damanging/reducing the value of the actual game parts. I don't think it would be any extra hassle to have the skill lists separate from the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people will want to buy a lovely box for storage, felt lined with dovetail joints. Ziplock bags work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
We just have them in 1 bag and search whenever you need a skill. A bit of a pain in the ass. I had the idea of at least separating them in about four bags, by alphabet. E.g. A-D, E-K, L-R, S-Z. Then it should be pretty easy to just grab a handful and find the one you need. I haven't done it because my girlfriend says it's "too anal". Not as nice as counter trays, but if you don't have them and don't want to go out and get them, it might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted a new player mat PDF. If approved, here are the details:

Quote:
In addition to the information included on the normal play mat (minus the setup info), it now includes a place to record victory goals, skill levels, and statuses. It's meant to be printed in landscape mode on standard letter sized paper. The idea is to laminate it when printed and use wet-erase markers, however it will work fine if used with a pencil so recorded items can be erased so the sheet can be reused.

The Destiny & Story tracks are designed to use the included D/S counters -- just flip them over so the number side is down since the numbers aren't needed. Use one counter to track 1 - 9 then add a second counter to mark the 10s/20s place when needed. The players sex token is designed to fit over the recorded Victory Goals.

In the future I plan to try and squeeze in a Wealth track if possible (probably by eliminating the turn sequence since its easy to remember) and include a printable cover for the Victory Goals area so wet-erase markers won't damage the token sitting on top of it (in case that is even possible, the fake linen covering is pretty darn thick). Another idea is to create a larger status reference card (since you need glasses for the one I did in some cases) and just have the names of the statuses on the play mat.

Finally, the big white gap in the middle is in case someone doesn't want the two sections attached, they can cut down the middle and have perfectly sized surrounding boarders.

Feedback appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, mine are in a ziplock baggie. We pass the baggie around or fish a needed skill out of it for a player when the Encounter calls for it.

In a four player game, the player opposite the active player could be the "bag" man: They fish out the new skills for the player who just completed the Encounter and may even help adjust the Destiny, Story, and Wealth tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Johnston
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmb
Man, this is awesome. Thanks for all the suggestions and the fun tossing around of ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.