Mahjong» Forums » Variants

Subject: Buying Transparent Mahjong Set! =) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paris Lai
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone!

I've recently picked up Riichi Mahjong (although I've been playing Chinese Mahjong for quite some time now), and I was thinking about purchasing a Riichi Mahjong set.

HOWEVER, what TRULY appealed to me, was the transparent Mahjong set (Washizu) after having watched Akagi =P This set would definitely provide a real twist with Riichi Mahjong in my opinion.

I've found a supplier (Mahjong Mart) but it happens to be out of stock. I have contacted them, but they haven't gotten back yet.
http://www.mahjongmart.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_...

I've also found a miniature set, but I was also trying to find the Official Akagi Mahjong set, but I have been unable to find it:
http://www.ibumahjong.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=...〈=en

I was wondering if anyone had a transparent mahjong set, and if so, let me know where they purchased it? I would also appreciate anyone who may be able to hook me up with a set =) Or possibly even sell me their set?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how you play with these.

If they're transparent don't you know what all the tiles are when in the wall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not to mention what tiles the other players have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris Lai
Canada
flag msg tools
Haha, well the set is actually only 3/4th transparent, meaning 3 of 4 tiles are transparent, with one opaque. So if I looked across at my opponent, I may see 3dot, 4dot, and an opaque tile. So now I have to reason if it's 344, 345, or something else.

I think it adds a lot more thinking in it because you're given some information, but yeah, I can't really find this set anywhere, haha =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syao Li
msg tools
A friend of mine (howdyhamster) has this set and he came over yesterday and we played with it.

With the transparent tiles, you don't build walls, instead you have a draw bag with all the tiles in it and you draw from it. (With gloves for those of you who can tell what tile it is by feeling the engraving)

The way we played it, we didn't have a dead wall, but still had a dora which was drawn at the beginning.

The game takes alot out of you since you have to not only keep up with your hand, but with everyone else as well and the occasional solid tiles can throw off your predictions. Plus the time it takes to complete an entire hanchan/round is about 3-4 times as long due to the amount of time thinking and deciding.

I highly wouldn't recommend it for those who are beginners in Mahjong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris Lai
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's why I think the transparent tiles would make the game much more fun because of all the additional thinking involved.

But it looks like none of the places got back to me so I guess it's not really possible to get this set then, haha xD...but that's okay =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO HO
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks everybody. This is actually very interesting, and valuable feedback from everyone. We are actually forming a new business and one of our upcoming products will be to produce 100% transparent mahjong sets, using an optional wooden rack to block others from viewing your tiles. Obviously, the tiles on the wall are still visible, but frankly, you don't have the time to look around.

This present an interesting game of mahjong, because you have more choices to make, such as whether you want to pick up the next tile or should you CHOW or PONG?

Also, it presents a nervous anticipation, because the tile you need to win is visible and you wonder if you are going to pick it up or not. And if you don't pick it up, will the person who picked it up discard it or it keep it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No personal offense meant here but that sounds awful.

I would never want to play with such a set.

I do, however, wish you luck in your endeavors. Perhaps my feelings on such a set are not the norm. Even if they are, perhaps there is enough of a market for you to be successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO HO
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for your feedback King of the Dead. Actually, your response is not a surprise, as people either hate this or love this.

Because the set is really beautiful, we plan to sell the product as a decorative/collector's item. The player can then, at their discretion, play for real if they choose to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can definitely see how it would look very nice. For someone that loves the game I can see it being a sort of "collector's" item that they would be proud to own.

It's also true that I do not have that many years playing the game. In fact, I've only just recently learned how to play.
Perhaps it's one of those things that could appeal to those that grow tired of the "standard" version and wish for something new.

I have not grown tired of the opaque tiles and so can not see the appeal of transparents.

Again, there may well be a market and I hope there is for you. I am not that market but I don't mean to disparage your bringing this to market.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100% transparent set sounds ridiculous. I don't think that would be interesting to play.. but you can up the ante of gambling if you make a set that is 50% - 75% transparent. (1 or 2 tiles from each set of 4 are opaque, the rest transparent).

I would probably want to get my hands on a set that was 50% transparent..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO HO
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes I agree, 100% transparency is pointless in actual gameplay. This is why this product will mostly be a decorative/collector's item. However we will attempt to provide an optional rack at least to block other's from seeing your tiles. Addtionally, customization is available, where you can purchase a quarter set, half set, or three quarter set, thus creating 25%, 50% or 75% transparency. These will at least improve playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolios wrote:
Yes I agree, 100% transparency is pointless in actual gameplay. This is why this product will mostly be a decorative/collector's item. However we will attempt to provide an optional rack at least to block other's from seeing your tiles. Addtionally, customization is available, where you can purchase a quarter set, half set, or three quarter set, thus creating 25%, 50% or 75% transparency. These will at least improve playability.

Hmmm quite true. 1 full transparent set and one normal set and you may create any combos. Tiles need not be similar as your set is transparent anyways. So long as they are similar in size for easier hand management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Some
msg tools
Zhab wrote:
coolios wrote:

Hmmm quite true. 1 full transparent set and one normal set and you may create any combos. Tiles need not be similar as your set is transparent anyways. So long as they are similar in size for easier hand management.

Hello everybody. I am new to this forums. Just bought a 1.5 set (216 tiles) from Ace of Heartz from Canada.

http://www.aceofheartz.com/product_p/transparent_mahjong_cus...

This features TWO 3/4 sets: 3/4 transparent and another 3/4 that is not transparent. This means now I can play 3/4 transparent like Akagi, or if I want to try something else, I can try 2/4 tranparent or 1/4 transparent.

I'll post some feedback once the package arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniz Gencturk
msg tools
Wow that Canadian set looks like a good option. For those who'd prefer the official set, you can see this page:http://www.ibumahjong.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.