Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back at images in this forum I am foolishly considering upping the size of my game. I am wondering what size hex to go with, 3-inch, 5-inch or 6-inch hexes? I would think that the board would begin to look amazing with well done terrain... Have any of you created custom terrain hexes via molding and resin casting? Storage of the terrain and miniatures is another concern.

I am currious if any of you who have created your own custom terrain and hexes have also switched from n-scale/10mm miniatures to 15mm armor and artillery? I don't play Flames of War but have collected quite a few different 15mm pieces from Battle Front and Command Decision product lines.

Thoughts and advice on any of this would be appreciated.

I figure this will likely be a 2-4yr mission to spread the costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've bought a number of Caesar miniature packs to fill out the missing armies (WWII French, WWII Dutch/Belgium for example) and cast a few 1/160 armor (lost wax method). I didn't want to use Shermans for 1940 period armor or T34's for KV-1's. I've used at the moment some microarmor stuff I already own for artillery, it seems to look better than my 15mm stuff. I've used hill blocks and micro-armor buildings and trees.

I wouldn't up size the board. The breakthrough boards are big enough, any bigger and I'd have to have a bigger table and greater reach.

I have seen huge hex boards and 1/72 scale painted figs for the Command and Colors Ancients at a number of conventions. The 'Ancients' game as well as Battlelore seem to need 'pimping' more than Memoir'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a piece of flocked gaming terrain I already had lying around. This equated to hexes that were 8". I then added 3D terrain and 1/72 figures to fill out the hex (doubling the amount of figures for each unit). In all honesty though, as someone who prefers boardgames to miniatures games, I tend to play almost exclusively with the original board rather than this setup. It was fun to make, however, and I absolutely love this game so I have no regrets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.