Subject: need help understanding a spell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright the spell is temporal warp. ill post what the card says. all teh cards are explaind very well. i just think i dont understand this card. neather did the 4 people i was playing with.

temporal warp:
cast at the start of your turn, before you move. you may take three successive turns instead of one before play passes to the next player.

here is what i thought it did. i think this lets you do 3 turns in a row. but the part where it says befor you move throws me off. can someone please explain this spell thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means before your movement roll, as once you roll, you're "committed" to that turn, have in effect started the turn (I know, weak argument). But I see it as a way of negating exploit of the spell (already a powerful spell). Say someone got Toaded and dropped a buttload of goodies and you're within one move (that is, from 1-6 spaces away) from that space. You can either go with normal move + Fate to try and land there or cast TW. If you roll first and see you don't land in the right space, even after Fate, you can't then cast TW to get essentially 2 extra turns to try and land in the wanted space. Most of the time you would probably cast TW before your initial move in the above scenario, but sometimes you might want to hold on to it for later. One point where the movement bit comes into play (at least until the FAQ fully clears the issue one way or the other; hopefully) is if you're at the Crown of Command. You don't move once you're there, so you can't cast "before you move spells".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so this spell you say lets me roll say 3 dice for movement insted of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightskys wrote:
so this spell you say lets me roll say 3 dice for movement insted of 1.

No, it does what you initially assumed, you get 3 turns in a row, meaning roll-move-draw, roll-move-draw and roll-move-draw (basic idea of course, encounters can change that). TW is before you roll for move, as if you cast if after you would get 4x roll-move-draw IMO. Since once you roll for movement, you have to move and once you land in a space, you have to encounter space (or possibly a character in that space), those are musts both. TW enforces the view that your turn starts when you roll. There are Spells you have to use at the start of your turn, some say "before you move", others don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks now i understand. seems like a very powerful spell indeed. i might change the wording so you have to use it befor you roll the dice so that you cant do the roll + fate and if you dont like it cast the spell. but we will see. thanks for the help rauli and for the quick responce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightskys wrote:
i might change the wording so you have to use it befor you roll the dice so that you cant do the roll + fate and if you dont like it cast the spell.

Yeah. Though you can make the argument from the rules that rolling is part of the "move" part of your turn (at work, so can't check, but IIRC the turn is divided into two steps, move and encounter steps; in the early part of the rules). Of course, there are spells which also state "at the start of your turn, before you move", so that confuses things. We play that all "before you move" spells have to be cast before rolling for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.