trevor ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so when i play talisman we always have 4-6 players. me and a group of awsome friends. but we dont like how talisman is so long. the first game we playd was about 3 hours each day for 4 days. so we decided from now on we play with the bloodbath rule (you lose all your lifes you are out of the game). the problem comes with the grim reaper. rolling a one kill you off. this is a game killer for our group and need to think of something eles for rolling a 1 but we still want it to hurt. any ideas, i have a few but i want to hear what you guys say.

PS: sorry for my grammer and spelling i am just really bad at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How often is the Reaper landing on a char in your games? True, most of my games are 3-player so 4+ probably sees more. Around here though, people tend to keep 7+ spaces away from the Reaper, meaning half the board isn't much used, making the other half more crowded with people, thus more PvP (games with more PvP than player vs monster aren't totally uncommon ). While I personally detest Fate, are you guys always out of Fate, since you can reroll the Reaper roll. Fate nerfed my favourite aspect of the game, Toads, after 41 games base + Reaper, there have been 4 Toads (average of less than 1 in 10 games, pre-Fate ratio was 1/game). Heck the Reaper has killed more people, with 5 ticks.

As for the game length, what sort of stat are you looking for before going for the Crown? In my games, once someone hits 9 in the main stat (Craft for Mines, Str for Crypt), they start heading for the Crown. Dwarf or early Gnome can expedite things even more. If they're missing a Talisman, Warlock's Cave has seen an increase in Quests since adding those cards from the Reaper (we do random draw though). Most of our 3-player games don't go past 1.5h.

We used the Bloodbath rule back in the day, but also added that if you start a combat with a monster, you will fight until one of you is dead (or you manage to Evade). If you were a Str-2 char, those early Dragons meant bye-bye, even late-game Demons were feared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Rauli was right. Players should use fate point more carefully and it really helps when facing the Reaper. It the Reaper is really causing problems with high fatality rate, then maybe some ways to increase fate points for players can be an option to help players to avoid instant death from Reaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol i see where you guys are comeing from and i have not played with the reaper expanshion yet but i thought that might be a problem. with the player i play we want to be god like befor going for the crown lol. at least 13 str or 10 craft lol. so ya maybe it wont matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to Fate, I have to mention that I have the BI 4th ed + FFG Upgrade pack and I am not using the board upgrades/changes apart from Village, so no Fate replenish at Graveyard/Temple. Reaper adds Adventure cards and a Spell that can give Fate, but basically that you start is what you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Bilanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group just plays with a rule that you can't use fate on reaper rolls.
Makes him much more brutal, people have died 2-3 times per game cause of it :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.