Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read about the game and how makes you build your own deck during play, I had a bit of a different idea how that'd work than it eventually turned out to be. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like the mechanisms of Dominion, and I believe it wouldn't have gotten the SdJ award if it were as much more complex as I imagined it to be. (And, my wife wouldn't love the game as much if it were more complex. Always a plus.)

However, I still wonder if others had the same ideas as I did, and fleshed them out for a playable variant?

Essentially, I was thinking that all players would have (at least initially) the full card pool available, and would then have to choose from that full card pool. Now knowing the proper mechanics, maybe that could mean something like this:

Initially, you're able to buy from any kingdom card type, and when you buy the first card of a type, you add a stack of 3-5 of these (would have to be balanced) to your own kingdom card rack. This could happen up to 3-6 (would have to be balanced as well) times, creating your own set of selectable kingdom cards. After having selected your set by such initial buys like that you'd be restricted to buying from those.

An alternative could be that you select your rack before the game, maybe draw 1-3 kingdom card types at first and then add 1-3 of your own choosing for your personal stack, alternating between players - for added randomness and the need to adapt to what's given. During the game, each player would then also have only his own card types available for buying. To take things further, you could also have some "shared types" for everybody, selected at random before the players' card selections.

I think that'd be less balanced than the original rules, and make some comboes highly desirable and other cards completely unwanted; but on the other hand, it would make it beneficial to know all available cards (kinda like in a "proper" TCG), and enable combos of your choosing, allowing you to really play an offensive or defensive or money or victory point deck completely unlike your fellow players'.

Did anybody try and playtest something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this would lead to playing "the same game" every time Dominion hit the table, instead of playing one of 3 million different games (if you have only one set), one of 10 billion different games (if you have both sets) or one of 15 billion different games if you have the black market and envoy promo cards.

The black market scratches some of the itch you're trying to scratch, but overall, I believe that 'the perfect deck' (or more likely, 3 'rock paper scissors' style decks will emerge) and that just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you're right because the cards really aren't tailored for large-scale balance, and some comboes will be rather overpowering - thus the paragraph about starting with some random cards and adding from the entire collection later only, to make some synergies easier to get to work. "Proper" TCGs have some dominant strategies as well usually, but those change with fads of months, and from what I read there'll be an influx of new cards for Dominion as well...

I'll see if I can persuade some folks to try it out after all It certainly won't work for competitive play, but not all play is competitive. If I wanted that, I'd just go back to spending tons of money with the WoW TCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.